RP-0 and Planes in 1.1.2

I just started getting into RP-0 RSS and all that. So, with wheels in 1.1.2, I cant seem to make an airplane go straight long enough to take off, dang thing always spins out. Im assuming thats the wheel bug and not my horrible aeroplane designs. so question is, in RP-0 on hard mode, is it feasable to just ignore all the plane contracts and the SPH altogether and still progress decently?

At first i had the same issue but then i tweaked a bit the wheel parameters and it worked (dropped the Friction Control and increased the Spring and Damper strength values). Be careful with the landings though since they like to explode if you push them too hard (compared with the previous KSP versions).

It's probably more a question of plane design (mains near CoM but not too close, steering disabled for them, enough yaw stability) and landing and takeoff style. Early in RP-0 you should expect to take off, with best flap setting, at no more than ~90m/s I would say (~200mph), and land at ~60m/s (~135mph).
 Plus your sink rate landing should definitely not be more than 1-2m/s. KSP does tend to teach people to do two very harmful things: 1: think of m/s as mph (only 100! No, that's 225mph if it's 100m/s) and 2. slam things down on landing.

4 hours ago, NathanKell said:

1: think of m/s as mph (only 100! No, that's 225mph if it's 100m/s)...

Only if you are from Liberia, Burma or USA. Rest of the world stopped using imperial units long ago (or never started). Officially at least. :)

Also...

king-henrys-foot.jpg

Sorry for off topic but i couldn't resist. :P

Edited by Vrana

10 hours ago, NathanKell said:

It's probably more a question of plane design (mains near CoM but not too close, steering disabled for them, enough yaw stability) and landing and takeoff style. Early in RP-0 you should expect to take off, with best flap setting, at no more than ~90m/s I would say (~200mph), and land at ~60m/s (~135mph).
 Plus your sink rate landing should definitely not be more than 1-2m/s. KSP does tend to teach people to do two very harmful things: 1: think of m/s as mph (only 100! No, that's 225mph if it's 100m/s) and 2. slam things down on landing.

Thanks, @NathanKell. Yeah it seems I just need to be more willing to fiddle with part settings and placement. I actually did manage to land a plane in RO...but not on a runway, lol. Somethings I don't have enough patience for. I love doing the rockets, not so much a fan of planes, but those plane contracts never go away and I hate ignoring them, lol. I feel like I gotta do them for the full experience, just gotta put the time in to get it working well.

On a separate note, I want to point something out. Not sure which mod in particular controls this, but I've been launching from the space center in Brazil cuz its on the equator (figured it'd save me a big headache), but when I launch planes on the runway, the end of the runway you start on is actually under ground level and my plane blows up when I start rolling. Had decided to do my planes from Cape Canaveral and rockets from Brazil to get around this, but wanted to point it out incase that was something easy to fix or worth fixing.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.