How to "Activate a port"?

You mean the crew cabin? With the two doors on the ends? I think you activate them by not having stuff attached to them. I'm surprised you aren't getting the "hatch blocked" message.

13 minutes ago, bewing said:

You mean the crew cabin? With the two doors on the ends? I think you activate them by not having stuff attached to them. I'm surprised you aren't getting the "hatch blocked" message.

Agreed. If you're using the crew cabin and both hatches have parts in the way, you have to transfer the kerbal to a part that has an available hatch (like a Mk 1 crew pod, hopefully you have one) and EVA from there. If someone is already in the crew pod, then you have to juggle them around and EVA them first, then transfer from the crew cabin, then EVA the second one. 

Yes, it's a known (and deliberate) design limitation of the Mk1 crew cabin that it doesn't have a hatch... except the ones on the ends.

Since most ship designs that use the cabin involve having other stuff attached at both ends, it means that for most practical purposes, it basically has no hatch at all, and the only way to get kerbals in and out of it during flight is to first transfer them to another crewed part and then EVA them from there.

Yes, this means that if you have a full ship, whoever's occupying the command pod is gonna have to get out to make room for the passenger to clamber through.  Yes, this annoys a fair number of people, and "add a hatch, please" has indeed been suggested in the Suggestions forum.  :wink:

• 9 months later...

Hello. I had this situation. Do this: close all menus and submenus. Left click on ONE of the hatches (not right click, not eva, not transfer crew - click directly on the hatch), you get the special "transfer crew" dialog, but with EVA option. Now if you click EVA *there* - the crew gets through the hatch outside.

Russian below // По русски: чтобы выбраться из пассажирской кабины - закройте все окна и диалоги, и - внимание - щелкните левой кнопкой мыши на дверь с торца, и выберите переместить экипаж. Это совершенно отдельное меню, в нем будет особый пункт - "выйти". Никак подругому его не вызвать.

On 27.05.2016 at 6:48 PM, bewing said:

Nope. Can't EVA from a docking port.

You can EVA from docking port the same way. Just tested it.

Edit: Correction, you can't... The special EVA dialog shows up, but upon clicking it, its "hatch is obstructed" instead of getting out.

Edited by Kerbal101

This thread's nearly a year old, and the original poster has presumably long since moved on.  Locking to prevent further confusion.

If someone has a related question, feel free to open a new thread.