How do YOU use Near Future Propulsion and Electrical parts?

Cairol

I'm using this mod for a while now, but I havent yet made great usage of lithium- or argon powered engines.
I use the new xenon-powered engines a lot. Mainly for satellites or tiny probes.
Also, I tried a nuclear fission reactor once. But it was too bulky and impractical for using it in some larger satellite and I haven't felt like using it for any craft either.
When / for what do you use those engines? Where do they have an advantage over LF/LFO engines?
When have the nuclear reactors advantages over lets say, fuel cells? I could imagine, those are good for far away planets with low sun power?

I don't use the advanced engines much but the reactors I use a lot, especially on research and mining stations. Even a basic reactor will let drills and refineries work through a dark side rotation regardless of how long it is. It also can save a lot of space on what can be an already cluttered station making docking easier and less fraught with accidental decoupling of solar panels and radiator systems. They're also more fuel efficient than the fuel cells (3-5 years on internal fuel increasing if you throttle the power output a bit) which makes them a boon for long time, constant draw facilities.

*Inconspicuously sets up hidden microphones, in hopes of harvesting feedback...*

2 hours ago, Cairol said:

When have the nuclear reactors advantages over lets say, fuel cells? I could imagine, those are good for far away planets with low sun power?

The reactors are a great choice in general for producing power. If a typical stock solar panel produces 70 to 90 Ec/s per ton invested, a NF fission reactor will go no lower than 140, and the most efficient models exceed 230 Ec/s/ton (radiators included). That means they remain mass competitive with solar power even around Eve, and definitely everywhere further out from that. Fuel cells are 75 Ec/s/ton, and RTGs are ca. 9.3 last I checked, so reactors easily beat all those too.

The downside is that they are expensive to research (if you use CTT, as you should!), expensive to buy, use expensive fuel, and, yes, require you to haul some mass and account for them in your ship design. Can't just give you something this overpowered without making you think about it at least a little bit, now can we :P So perhaps for Eve, you might still opt for solar power anyways, because it's cheaper and simpler. But Kerbin and beyond, these are just hands-down the best option you have (barring other mods),

Lithium/Argon? Mainly for HUGE Joolian expeditions. 30k+ dV for 100+ tons vehicle isn't a cat's sneeze. Main difference is that Lythium can be mined from asteroids to refuel.

The only trouble is Tylo lander. Fuel unification with main vehicle (Lithium/Argon), so that it can do multiple trips to Tylo surface, seems almost impossible.

P.S. Eagerly want to see succesfull designs of 2-3 man Lithium/Argon Tylo lander.

Edited by Dr. Jet

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.