Ubuntu 16.04 64bit unity crash on load

Hello

Got a problem with KSP 1.1.2

Just started playing again and running into a catastrophic failure while starting up KSP.

I’m running Ubuntu 16.04 with a GeForce GTX 970 with dual monitors with a fresh OS install.

Rather then steam I do a direct download of KSP.

What happens is KSP starts up fine. I then go to settings and change screen from full to window so I can move from my left to my right monitor then make full screen again. Randomly on moving KSP crashes and will not restart even after reloading KSP. ( I like KSP to run on my right screen while having my left for toolbar and running other stuff like simple screen recorder and audacity).

This happened last week and in order to fix the problem I did a fresh OS install. Now it has happened again after about a dozen sessions and would rather not have to rebuild my computer on a weekly basis to play KSP.

I have tried all the recommendations from the scg_scg thead on same topic but none have worked. He is using steam and I am not.

I have tried every permutation of the following I could think of but none have worked.

-force-glcore33

-force-gfx-direct

-force-glcore

LIBGL_DRI3_DISABLE=1 %command%_64 -force-glcore33

Got only “no such job” or “command not found”

The only time I got any real results was by adding (Desktop/KSP_linux/KSP.x86_64) before the above arguments but still didn’t fix the problem.

Desktop/KSP_linux/KSP.x86_64 -force-gfx-direct

This gave me the following.

Set current directory to /home/ulrick
Found path: /home/ulrick/Desktop/KSP_linux/KSP.x86_64
Mono path[0] = '/home/ulrick/Desktop/KSP_linux/KSP_Data/Managed'
Mono path[1] = '/home/ulrick/Desktop/KSP_linux/KSP_Data/Mono'
Mono config path = '/home/ulrick/Desktop/KSP_linux/KSP_Data/Mono/etc'
displaymanager : xrandr version warning. 1.5
client has 4 screens
displaymanager screen (0)(DVI-I-1): 1920 x 1080
displaymanager screen (1)(HDMI-0): 1920 x 1080
Using libudev for joystick management

Importing game controller configs

I admit I am a bit of a noob at this. Could someone give me a full command line that might fix this so I don’t have to rebuild my computer again.

The driver I am using is from Nvidia.com. When I try to update I get;

nvidia-361 is already the newest version (361.42-0ubuntu2).

Strange because when I check Nvidia says 361.45.11 is the newest version.

Tried

sudo apt-get purge nvidia-*

Then reinstalled using the following;

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:xorg-edgers/ppa -y

sudo apt-get update

sudo apt-get install nvidia-361

lspci -vnn | grep -i VGA -A 12

restart then

glxinfo | grep OpenGL | grep renderer

Still get;         nvidia-361 is already the newest version (361.42-0ubuntu2)

and KSP still will not start even if I delete and reload.

I'm hitting the same issue. Some recent update in Ubuntu I think has killed KSP. I was happily starting a new career in 1.1.x (actually 1.1.2). On a completely fresh install of Ubuntu 16.04.

My system is Nvidia based too, AMD processor.

The Launcher is fine, as soon as you attempt to launch the KSP, the Launcher window disappears, nothing happens. Not seeing any errors in KSP.log. I've removed all mods still the same, even try launching KSP.x86_64 directly still nothing.

I'm happy to attempt some troubleshooting, anything to trace down this issue, I just need guidance.

I don't think this is a driver issue, you'd expect to see something, this is an update library issue somewhere. That's happened in the past week.

Secret Hamster - My problem starts when I try to move the KSP window then it is exactly as you describe.  The only way I know how to fix the problem is a fresh install of Ubuntu.  Then I can play for several sessions before it starts over again.  Am in the process of cleaning up a spare hard drive to see if this is repeatable.

To better help find where the problem lies I did the following:

On a spare hard drive I did a fresh install of Ubuntu 16.04.

Update

Installed the Nvidia GeForce driver.

Installed KSP 1-1-2 (no mods)

Thats it, nothing else.

I then started Launcher.x86_64.

When done pressed play, KSP started just fine.

Went to setup, moved window to secondary screen, maxed out settings,set to full screen, and played one mission.

Exited KSP and restart computer.

Started KSP using KSP.x86_64

Always starts in primary screen (left)

After loading I went to settings, unset full screen, moved screen to secondary (right), accept and played one mission.

Exited KSP and restart computer.

Repeat

On the 7th startup upon unsetting full screen, placed pointer as always on top bar of screen to move. The instant I clicked my mouse the KSP screen disappeared leaving only the top bar with the x (close) – (minimize) symbols and Kerbal Space Program. The square (full screen) was also missing. At this point there is no way to play KSP. Once the bar is closed it will never be seen again nor can you ever start KSP even on relaod.

I made a copy of the logs as I played. They seemed to be identical up to the point of crash. Here is the last several lines before crash.

[WRN 14:12:08.560] [HighLogic]: =========================== Scene Change : From MAINMENU to SETTINGS =====================

[WRN 14:12:08.572] The referenced script on this Behaviour is missing!

[LOG 14:12:08.657] UICanvasPrefabSpawner SettingsSpawner spawning Settings

[LOG 14:12:08.702] UIMasterController: ShowUI

[ERR 14:12:08.852] SettingControl 'Show Version Number in Game': Cannot find GameSetting field named 'SHOW_VERSION_NUMBER'

[LOG 14:12:08.873] [ApplicationLauncher] OnSceneLoadedGUIReady: scene SETTINGS ShouldBeVisible() False ShouldBeOnTop() False iIsPositionedAtTop True

[LOG 14:12:15.554] Launcher here(in write): False

[LOG 14:12:15.738] [MessageSystem] Reposition 6.737286 12858

On the previous play through (didn’t crash) it looked like this:

[LOG 14:00:24.721] [ApplicationLauncher] OnSceneLoadedGUIReady: scene SETTINGS ShouldBeVisible() False ShouldBeOnTop() False iIsPositionedAtTop True

[LOG 14:00:30.628] Launcher here(in write): False

[LOG 14:00:30.813] [MessageSystem] Reposition 5.962694 12952

[LOG 14:00:38.128] Launcher here(in write): False

[LOG 14:00:38.249] [MessageSystem] Reposition 12.03396 13317

[LOG 14:00:39.094] Launcher here(in write): False

[LOG 14:00:39.095] UIMasterController: HideUI

[WRN 14:00:39.096] [HighLogic]: =========================== Scene Change : From SETTINGS to MAINMENU =====================

The only difference is in the last line Reposition coordinates which I assume is the mouse location.

The only other oddities I ran into was on my second mission when I activated a TR-18A Stack Decoupler at splash down for a contract the game crashed but restarted just fine. Also I get the following after initial install of Ubuntu:

[ 3.318837] nouveau 0000:01:00.0:gr: failed to load fecs.inst

I have to hard reset then all works fine. Tried to find out what this is but no luck and updates did not install. I seriously doubt that either is the cause of the problem but I could be wrong.

Hopefully someone out there can make sense of this and find a solution.

Thanks

Think I've traced down the issue. This is from my .config/unity3d/Squad/Kerbal Space Program/Player.log file

Selecting FBConfig
GLX_FBCONFIG_ID=167
GLX_BUFFER_SIZE=32
GLX_DOUBLEBUFFER=1
GLX_RED_SIZE=8
GLX_GREEN_SIZE=8
GLX_BLUE_SIZE=8
GLX_ALPHA_SIZE=8
GLX_DEPTH_SIZE=24
GLX_STENCIL_SIZE=8
GLX_SAMPLES_ARB=0
GLX_SAMPLE_BUFFERS_ARB=0
GLX_CONFIG_CAVEAT=NONE

Desktop is 3360 x 1050 @ 60 Hz
Invalid resolution: 1615 x 1
Failed to initialize ScreenManager

I'm running two 1680x1050 screens. Doesn't matter whether I have fullscreen mode or window mode I get the same crash with geometry of 1680x1050

I've just set to 1600x1024 in windowed mode still get the same error. Looks like something is corrupting in the Launcher

Launching KSP.x86_64 throws the same thing, no command line arguments. Anyone know what options we have on the commandline?

@Secret Hamster @Ulrick_Zebulon, this should be what you need.

Unity3D command line arguments.

Unity games can be forced to start at a specified resolution, and on a specific screen when fullscreen, even on Linux.

Unity currently is having difficulty correctly detecting OpenGL and setting the appropriate screen size on Linux and this happens in other Unity games as well.

If that doesn't help, try this.

On 27/04/2016 at 2:45 AM, Psycho_zs said:

My two cents:

Sometimes KSP managed to freeze and crash my X server upon start. This happens because of some rare instant memory leak, so Xorg gets killed by OOM killer. To give it some other target (KSP), I've added a line to my launcher script before KSP exec, like so:

sh -c 'sleep 1 ; echo 15 > "/proc/$(pgrep KSP.x86_64)/oom_adj"' &
exec ./KSP.x86_64 ...

This should make KSP a priority target for OOM killer. Funny thing, no such freak leak happened ever since, so I do not yet know if this can really help X to walk away from it in working order.

sal_vager, thanks so much for your input on this subject.  I tried the following based on Psycho_zs.

sh -c 'sleep 1 ; echo 15 > "/proc/$(pgrep KSP.x86_64)/oom_adj"' &
exec Desktop/KSP_linux/KSP.x86_64 ...

and I got the following:

ulrick@thor:~$ sh -c 'sleep 1 ; echo 15 > "/proc/$(pgrep KSP.x86_64)/oom_adj"' &[1] 6293
ulrick@thor:~$ exec Desktop/KSP_linux/KSP.x86_64 ...sh: 1: cannot create /proc//oom_adj: Directory nonexistent

"Stops with blinking box. When I press return I get the following and then terminal immediately quits.  Could only capture using SimpleScreenRecorder."

Set current directory to /home/ulrick
Found path: /home/ulrick/Desktop/KSP_linux/KSP.x86_64
Mono path[0] = '/home/ulrick/Desktop/KSP_Data/Managed'
Mono path[1] = '/home/ulrick/Desktop/KSP_Data/Mono'
Mono config path = '/home/ulrick/Desktop/KSP_Data/Mono/ect'
displaymanager : xrandr version warning. 1.5
client has 4 screens
displaymanager screen (0)(DVI-I-1): 1920 x 1080
displaymanager screen (0)(HDMI-0): 1920 x 1080
Using libudev for joystick management

Importing game controller configs

Furthermore; SimpleScreenRecorder was glitching out with the screen pixilated, blocky, and or terminal was at 50% opacity. Fortuneatly I could find a frame that was readable.

This has me concerned about how other programs function when this problem occures.  Since I have demonstrated to myself that this problem is randomly repeatable (happening 5 times after 3 to 7 game starts and always the instant I try to move the KSP window) I have decided to change how I play the game.  I plan on playing KSP on my primary screen (full screen) and 'never move it' while having my toolbar and other programs running on my secondary screen and see how that goes. When I have some spare time I will try the Unity3D command line arguments you recommended.  If anything I might learn something.

Thanks again

• 3 months later...

think i might have found a solution to this problem.  This sounds just like the problem i was having.  I had no problems on Ubuntu here, until i moved the loading game from one monitor to the other.  Suddenly dissapears, and could not be relaunched even after reboot. even an older install would not work, nor re downloading and reinstalling would even bring up the squad loading screen. complete nothing when clicking on the play button in the launcher or dclicking the program itself.

Now for what i did and you can do what you will with this info.  In a folder .config/unity3d/squad/Kerbalspaceprogram there are some prefs files i sent them to hell and now it works:) YMMV  

cherry Ho

Kim Kaster, thanks for the post.  Got questions.  What exactly did you do?  When Ksp locks up does the below change?  If KSP locks up do you change back to what's below?

Found in /home/(user name)/.config/unity3d/squad/Kerbalspaceprogram/prefs

<unity_prefs version_major="1" version_minor="1">
    <pref name="Screenmanager Is Fullscreen mode" type="int">1</pref>
    <pref name="Screenmanager Resolution Height" type="int">1080</pref>
    <pref name="Screenmanager Resolution Width" type="int">1920</pref>
    <pref name="UnityGraphicsQuality" type="int">5</pref>
    <pref name="UnitySelectMonitor" type="int">-1</pref>
</unity_prefs>

I solved the problem by not moving the KSP window, and doing everything else on the second monitor.  Ksp has worked fine since although I have had to adapt to doing things differently.  With this said the above prefs file works, I think.  Did not know it existed tell you pointed out.

2 hours ago, Ulrick_Zebulon said:

Kim Kaster, thanks for the post.  Got questions.  What exactly did you do?  When Ksp locks up does the below change?  If KSP locks up do you change back to what's below?

Found in /home/(user name)/.config/unity3d/squad/Kerbalspaceprogram/prefs

<unity_prefs version_major="1" version_minor="1">
    <pref name="Screenmanager Is Fullscreen mode" type="int">1</pref>
    <pref name="Screenmanager Resolution Height" type="int">1080</pref>
    <pref name="Screenmanager Resolution Width" type="int">1920</pref>
    <pref name="UnityGraphicsQuality" type="int">5</pref>
    <pref name="UnitySelectMonitor" type="int">-1</pref>
</unity_prefs>

I solved the problem by not moving the KSP window, and doing everything else on the second monitor.  Ksp has worked fine since although I have had to adapt to doing things differently.  With this said the above prefs file works, I think.  Did not know it existed tell you pointed out.

There is a piece of software - Meld - that can visually compare files and display diffs.
1) Try removing the configuration.
2) Doing a normal startup, then quit. No fancy stuff.
3) Then make a copy of configuration directory.
4) Then go in KSP and directly reproduce the bug.

You can then compare the files to find out which settings affect behavior and by changing them back one-by-one - find the problem line in config.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.