Your Windows 10 impressions?

awfulhumanbeing

On 5/28/2016 at 0:15 AM, awfulhumanbeing said:

Also, no problems on Windows/Ubuntu dual boot except when I installed Windows it flushed GRUB in the toilet.

I seem to recall that installing Windows first then a Linux flavor is the preferred method of dual booting but I may be wrong, I've only dual booted MacOS and Ubuntu.

The whole rolling release thing is kind of scary- I seriously considered Arch or a variant for my latest OS but went with Ubuntu LTS instead- I'll worry about it again in 3 years or so. I have to say though, the kind of breakages people are getting with Win10 are really sloppy.

7 minutes ago, StrandedonEarth said:

I'm happy to say I've had no problems with Win10. As for the privacy/tracking issues, I decided not to worry about it. If I did want to worry about it I may as well live in a hole in the ground communicating with tin cans and string

Maybe I'm jaded and old but I'm in a similar boat. Same goes for Google.

On 29/5/2016 at 5:04 PM, Waxing_Kibbous said:

I seem to recall that installing Windows first then a Linux flavor is the preferred method of dual booting but I may be wrong,

You aren't wrong.

Windows 10 is pretty good.  Far better upgrade than I thought it would be.  Performance is far better on Win10 to, which is nice.  Only problem is it wants you to update.  I mean it.  Does MS Office require a update to fix nothing?  It does?  Ok, is the user playing a game?  Yeah, ok, lets constantly pop up a screen in that can only be closed by clicking the button to take the user to the Windows Update option.  Seriously annoying, and I am to lazy to update. 

So, in conclusion... 

-IGN 10/10 Needs to spam more updates. 

I resisted the transition as long as I could, but technical issues with Windows 7 forced me to take the upgrade, and I have to admit that I'm sold on it.

Sure, there are things about Windows 10 I don't like, and some principled stuff that I totally understand from a developers point of view, but oppose as a consumer. But at the end of the day, it doesn't take all that much time to trim anything unwanted, and a lot of the actual operation of Windows 10 is a lot cleaner than Windows 7, and they've really ironed out a lot of their features, as well as polished the new stuff they added.

The only issues I've really had so far are these. First, I did have to install Direct X 9, because Windows 10 doesn't come with it for some reason. Fine. Take the two minutes to find the installer and run it. The other is the DVR function out of the Xbox live app. It's on by default, and you have to make an account to get to the settings menu in the app to turn it off, as I discovered when I finally tracked down the source of my constant GTA 5 crashes (it was the DVR function). I don't like buried settings like that; I had actually forgotten the DVR was a thing after turning off the prompt for it.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.