3-D Printer

As it states on the tin - having a 3-D Printer would be great.  Of course, the size of the craft is makes would likely be limited to so many tons, so more useful for using on the moons or planets for creating habitats, rovers, so on.  Or if used in space would likely be used to make probes, one-crew orbital craft, and droids for stations.  Heavy, energy hog with limited use but still useful I think for long term missions allowing the players to make equipment on the spot without having to bring it all.

I could see this as a good way for engineers to expand their repertoire of possible 'in the field' repairs.  Having a 3d printer let's you convert ore into a repair for solar panels, radiators etc. 

But personally I think it's probably out of scope for the stock game to effectively allow building new ships new ships from raw materials off Kerbin

On 5/30/2016 at 9:03 AM, ValleyTwo said:

As it states on the tin - having a 3-D Printer would be great.  Of course, the size of the craft is makes would likely be limited to so many tons, so more useful for using on the moons or planets for creating habitats, rovers, so on.  Or if used in space would likely be used to make probes, one-crew orbital craft, and droids for stations.  Heavy, energy hog with limited use but still useful I think for long term missions allowing the players to make equipment on the spot without having to bring it all.

You mean something like this?

But in a much smaller package?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.