I'm aware it's very basic so I'm sorry if it's been answered before. I have looked.

This about the third time I've tried to get into modding ksp and each time I end up drowning in data I either don't need or that's out dated.

I'm a descent programmer and have plenty of time to fiddle with things to figure them out, but I at least need a jumping off point.

What I need is an in flight app button that opens a "hello world" GUI page. From there I'm sure I can solve most of my questions myself.

Thanks much.

Hey!  I know exactly how you feel.  Modding KSP can feel...suffocating.  Here's my current class for a GUI that I've been reverse-engineering.  I hope it helps!

using System;
using System.Collections.Generic;
using System.Linq;
using System.Text;
using System.Threading;
using UnityEngine;
using KSP;
using KSP.UI.Screens;//required for ApplicationLauncherButton type

namespace PopulationMod
{
  [KSPAddon(KSPAddon.Startup.EveryScene, false)]

public class PopModGUI : MonoBehaviour
  {
    internal static string assetFolder = "PopulationMod/CivilianManagement/Assets/";
    private static ApplicationLauncherButton CivPopButton = null;
    static bool CivPopGUIOn = false;
    internal bool CivPopTooltip = false;
    private GUIStyle _windowstyle, _labelstyle;
    private bool hasInitStyles = false;

private static ApplicationLauncherButton appButton = null;

/// <summary>
    /// Awake this instance.  Pre-existing method in Unity that runs before KSP loads.
    /// </summary>
    public void Awake()
    {
      //Debug.Log (debuggingClass.modName + "Starting Awake()");//What I am using to debug
      DontDestroyOnLoad(this);
      GameEvents.onGUIApplicationLauncherReady.Add(OnAppLauncherReady);//when AppLauncher can take apps, give it OnAppLauncherReady (mine)
      GameEvents.onGUIApplicationLauncherDestroyed.Add (OnAppLauncherDestroyed);//Not sure what this does
    }

public void OnAppLauncherDestroyed(){
      if (appButton != null){
        OnToggleFalse ();
        ApplicationLauncher.Instance.RemoveApplication (appButton);
      }
    }

/// <summary>
    /// Raises the app launcher ready event.  Method to create an app button on the AppLauncher, as well as tell
    /// what/how the GUI is loaded.
    /// </summary>
    public void OnAppLauncherReady()
    {
      InitStyle();
      string iconFile = "PopModIcon";//This is the name of the file that stores the mod's icon to be used in the appLauncher
      if (HighLogic.LoadedScene == GameScenes.SPACECENTER && appButton == null){//i.e. if running for the first time
        appButton = ApplicationLauncher.Instance.AddModApplication(
          OnToggleTrue,                           //Run OnToggleTrue() when user clicks button
          OnToggleFalse,                          //Run OnToggleFalse() when user clicks button again
          null, null, null, null,                 //do nothing during hover, exiting, enable/disable
          ApplicationLauncher.AppScenes.ALWAYS,   //When to show applauncher/GUI button
          GameDatabase.Instance.GetTexture(assetFolder+iconFile , false));//where to look for mod applauncher icon
        //Debug.Log (debuggingClass.modName + "Finishing Awake()");//What I am using to debug
      }
      CivPopGUIOn = false;
    }

/// <summary>
    /// Presumably what to do when the user opens/clicks the button.  Called from OnAppLauncherReady.
    /// </summary>
    private static void OnToggleTrue()
    {
      //Debug.Log (debuggingClass.modName + "Starting OnToggleTrue()");
      CivPopGUIOn = true;//turns on flag for GUI
      //Debug.Log (debuggingClass.modName + "Turning on GUI");
    }

/// <summary>
    /// Presumably what to do when the user closes the button.  Called from OnAppLauncherReady.
    /// </summary>
    private static void OnToggleFalse()
    {
      //Debug.Log (debuggingClass.modName + "Starting OnToggleFalse()");
      CivPopGUIOn = false;//turns off flag for GUI
      //Debug.Log (debuggingClass.modName + "Turning off GUI");
    }

/// <summary>
    /// I'm not sure what this is for...but it was already here and it seems to work.
    /// </summary>
    private void InitStyle()
    {
      _windowstyle = new GUIStyle(HighLogic.Skin.window);
      _labelstyle = new GUIStyle(HighLogic.Skin.label);
      hasInitStyles = true;
    }

/// <summary>
    /// OnGUI() is called by the game and every time it refreshes the GUI.  I just need it to check if the GUI is
    /// enabled and if it is, show it.
    /// </summary>
    public void OnGUI()
    {//Executes code whenever screen refreshes.  Extension to enable use of button along main bar on top-right of screen.
      if (CivPopGUIOn) {
        PopulationManagementGUI ();//If button is enabled, display rectangle.
      }//end if
    }//end OnGui extension

/// <summary>
    /// This method controls how the window actually looks when the HUD window is displayed.
    /// </summary>
    void PopulationManagementGUI(){
      GUI.BeginGroup(new Rect(Screen.width / 2 - 250, Screen.height / 2 - 250, 500, 500));
      GUILayout.BeginVertical("box");
      GUILayout.Label("CIVPOP PlaceHolder GUI");
      if (GUILayout.Button("Close this Window", GUILayout.Width(200f)))
        OnToggleFalse();
      GUILayout.Label ("Can this display?");
      GUILayout.EndVertical();
      GUI.EndGroup();
    }
  }
}

A quick note:  I am using DebuggingClass to debug and it should be able to be ignored.  Debug.Log ("message") prints its contents (message) to the KSP.log file.  

At a quick glance, things look right. I've never used the BeginGroup method, I use the Window method instead though.

Having said that, can you stick a Debug.Log inside your PopulationManagemenGUI method just to make sure the method is being called correctly?

D.

edit: If you are okay switching to the GUI.Window method, I use it here: https://github.com/SirDiazo/TWR1/blob/master/TWR1/TWR1.cs#L393

to generate this window:Controls.jpg

The linked code creates two windows, this picture is the first one at line 397.

Edited by Diazo

@JediMasterSterling1

I've been using the New Community API Documentation as well as the source code for a few mods. 

edit:  Oops.  I think I misunderstood.  IIRC I only need references to Assembly-CSharp.dll, KSPUtil.dll, and UnityEngine.dll.

But just in case, here are what I currently have enabled for the whole project (of which only some are needed):

Assembly-CSharp.dll

Assembly-CSharp-firstpass.dll

KSPCore.dll

KSPUtil.dll

SaveUpgradeEnginePipeline.Core.dll

UnityEngine.dll

UnityEngine.UI.dll

Edited by Tralfagar
Added References

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.