Devnote Tuesday: Looking Back to the Future

SQUAD

Aircraft landing gear work well enough if they are (nearly) perpendicular to the ground, even the early, fixed gear. Of course, this requires careful design such that your AoA on take-off and landing is low enough that your gear don't stray too far from being perpendicular to the ground, and careful flying such that you have a nice slow rate of descent.

17 hours ago, taniwha said:

Aircraft landing gear work well enough if they are (nearly) perpendicular to the ground

Indeed. I had a bit of a squirrely plane; it fishtailed all the way down the runway. Frustrated, I looked back in the hangar. The rear wheels were mounted on a wing, which itself was angled up very slightly. As soon as I made the gear vertical to the hangar, the plane went perfectly straight.

Then again, I hail to the days of catastrophic failures due to angled gear, so that's naturally where I look.

The common guess that KSP is compiled on Unity 5.3 is incorrect. It is compiled on Unity 5.2. 5.2 is a somewhat dated version of Unity 5. But, it's pretty stable, and pretty much all Unity games are compiled on this version. As the bugs found on 5.3 are 2x less worse than 5.4's bugs, but still, unplayable in some extreme cases. So, all of THAT out of the way. 5.2 is the best version to go if you want a break from looking in a few MILLION lines of code just to fix a tiny bug.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.