Looking for a mini claw mod

cantab

I'm looking for a mod to provide a mini claw, working similarly to the Advanced Grabbing Unit but considerably smaller, like 0.625m scale or even below, to connect my new rover to my existing base module without having to faff around with docking port alignment.

The Transparent Pods mod had one, but that mod seems to be unmaintained now. I tried KAS but it seems like the magnet and harpoon don't count as a docked connection, and the winches and pipes require Kerbals; I need to make a connection capable of resource transfer without Kerbals being around. I know there's Tweakscale but I'm considering that a last resort, I really don't trust it to not cause bugs.

Any other suggestions?

You can write MM patch to clone the part and resize it:

+PART[GrapplingDevice]
{
 @name = miniGrapplingDevice
 !mesh = DELETE
 @title = Mini Grabbing Unit
 @mass = 0.02
MODEL
 {
 model = Squad/Parts/Utility/GrapplingDevice/GrapplingArm
 scale = 0.4, 0.4, 0.4
 }
@node_stack_top = 0.0, -0.047, 0.00, 0.0, -1.0, 0.0, 0
@node_attach = 0.0, 0.0, 0.00, 0.0, -1.0, 0.0, 0 
}

the current version fits on top of Mk1 Pod,but you can make it even smaller by changing the scale.

9 hours ago, sardia said:

Try KIS connecting ports. They count as docking.

But as far as I know I need a Kerbal around to hook them up, and like I said I want something that works by itself. Unless there's a feature of KIS I'm overlooking?

8 hours ago, Nightside said:

Try this on for size

I looked at that, it's a cool mod and might work, I could co-opt the "helper drone" part for my purposes. I still wonder if there's something a bit more suited though, a "simple" claw part rather than that drone which does a dozen different things.

@sebi.zzr MM patch sounds like a plan.

Edited by cantab

2 hours ago, legoclone09 said:

@RoverDude's ART has a 0.625m Klaw.

Doesn't appear to. It has a few parts with the Grapple Node module but they're all 1.25m and about the same size as the stock claw.

Also quickly checked his Exploration Pack and Karibou rover, nothing there.

Paging @RoverDude do any of your mods have what I'm after?

11 hours ago, Beowolf said:

TweakScale?

I am using mini-claws with Tweakscale all the time, they work great!

Tweakscale should be stock anyway. It would lower the number of similar, just differently sized parts in the partlist (and a little bit of RAM usage I guess).

TweakScale can only Change size of stock parts and some other mod it supports. Its a great mod . But if you want a Automatic Grabbing claw, Well You can use Infernal Robotics or Canadarm Mod. They both have a Claw Grabber. 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.