How To Mod

kavi

Actually, I dont think you really need to know programming to make a simple parts pack...

I was in your position not long ago... I would say the first thing is to start tweaking and learning to modify the parts.cfg's of some of your favorite mods... Or even just stock parts... Once you get a feeling for that, you could try learning how to make moduleManager patches... Then, there are good, simple tutorials on how to model and texture simple parts.. Then learn how to use the KSP Part Tools with Unity... You can make a nice little parts pack just with knowing how to write or modify .cfg files, and using a free modelling program, and texturing even with Microsoft Paint...
Do what I've done, and find an old, abandoned parts mod, with an open license, and use the tutorials to learn how they work, and reverse engineer the models & .cfgs... make little modifications, and before you know it, you can have your own parts pack ready for release...
Programming & coding is more for plugins, or more complicated parts... That can always come later on...

Edited by Stone Blue

I'd say 10% config files, and out of those 10%, it's about 99,9% trying to figure out what the hell all those config directives actually do.

I have yet to find any up-to-date documentation on the part.cfg files and their directives. How do you define an Isp curve for an atmospheric engine? How do you set a drag model appropriately?

The only reference there is is by replicating existing part files and editing them.

For example, I want to make a jet engine that can be used as an inline VTOL lifter for Mk2 form factors, with about 250kN of stationary thrust (on afterburner) that falls of rapidly at higher speeds, and has the same characteristics as the Panther otherwise. But I have absolutely no clue where to start to accomplish that.

Edited by Stoney3K

32 minutes ago, Stoney3K said:

For example, I want to make a jet engine that can be used as an inline VTOL lifter for Mk2 form factors, with about 250kN of stationary thrust (on afterburner) that falls of rapidly at higher speeds, and has the same characteristics as the Panther otherwise. But I have absolutely no clue where to start to accomplish that.

Atmospheric engines don't have Isp curves, they only have a static Isp - they always inject the same amount of fuel at the same throttle setting.

Instead they have two thrust curves, one for altitude, one for speed. Those tell you how much thrust you actually get out of the injected fuel. And that, effectively, becomes a stand-in for an Isp curve, which is why you don't need one.

In order to make good curves, it's recommended that you grab a Unity plugin, and read this tutorial... in a pinch you can write them by hand, but for something with more than three keys, you probably want to work with the visual tool and the tangent fields.

For your engine idea, you probably don't need to do anything other than copying the Panther with a +PART call in a MM patch, and then changing maxThrust and velCurve inside each of the two ModuleEnginesFX.

EDIT: This should get you started.

+PART[turboJet]:FIRST
{
	@name = customVtolEngine
	@TechRequired = 
	@entryCost = 
	@cost = 
	@title = 
	@description = 
	@mass = 
	@MODULE[ModuleEnginesFX],0
	{
		@maxThrust = 175
		!velCurve {}
		velCurve
		{
			// here goes your new curve, it's easier to delete the old one first because that gives you full freedom
		}
	}
	@MODULE[ModuleEnginesFX],1
	{
		@maxThrust = 250
		!velCurve {}
		velCurve
		{

}
	}
}

Edited by Streetwind

Thanks, I can start with that, but my point was primarily that the documentation for modding KSP is definitely lacking. There used to be a wiki with some information but that is grossly outdated.

On 5/31/2016 at 10:35 PM, Stone Blue said:

Actually, I dont think you really need to know programming to make a simple parts pack...

I was in your position not long ago... I would say the first thing is to start tweaking and learning to modify the parts.cfg's of some of your favorite mods... Or even just stock parts... Once you get a feeling for that, you could try learning how to make moduleManager patches... Then, there are good, simple tutorials on how to model and texture simple parts.. Then learn how to use the KSP Part Tools with Unity... You can make a nice little parts pack just with knowing how to write or modify .cfg files, and using a free modelling program, and texturing even with Microsoft Paint...
Do what I've done, and find an old, abandoned parts mod, with an open license, and use the tutorials to learn how they work, and reverse engineer the models & .cfgs... make little modifications, and before you know it, you can have your own parts pack ready for release...
Programming & coding is more for plugins, or more complicated parts... That can always come later on...

Thanks allot for your advice! Any ideas on how to model/edit files. I have a mac and can't open all files, what software should i download?

Ooo... Cant help you much with Mac... Editing .cfg files is just a matter of a simple text editor, tho, such as Notepad or Wordpad, in Windows...Whatever you natively use in OSX to edit/create simple text files... I like to use Notepad++

As for modelling, (at least for Windows) theres Blender, Wings3D, (which are both free), 3dsMax, & IIRC, Sketchup might be able to used as well... I'm sure theres more choices, but I'm broke so I HAVE to go with FREE... :)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.