How cool is the Antares rocket?

Rate Antares 1-10 on Coolness  

36 members have voted

1. 1. Rate Antares 1-10, 10 being Saturn V and 1 being... Goddard's rocket.

Dear Community,

Who else agrees with me that the Antares Rocket is super cool looking? Seriously. It is simple, nice, and pretty sweet to put lightly. Until the craft had a launch failure in the 10's.

Sweet mod that adds them 

So rate how you like the Antares rocket on a scale of 1-10

Antares_A-ONE_launch.2.jpg

14 minutes ago, NateDaBeast said:

I love the design of the Antares, not exactly sure what makes me love it so much but it may because its simple.

But I believe a lot of other rockets most definitely out rank it.

It looks like an ICBM. :P 

The Atlas looks more unique tho. Antares just looks like a standard rocket.

As a small info tidbit for those wondering/who hadn't heard:

Orbital ATK has completed integration and qualification of the new RD-181 engines, and are looking forward to launch again for the first time since the incident, sometime in the coming month.

However, the ISS schedule in general is currently uncertain, as Roscosmos has delayed all its Progress and Soyuz flights while investigating a glitch in the Soyuz rocket's third stage that manifested on a recent GLONASS satellite launch (which was still successful).

7 minutes ago, Streetwind said:

As a small info tidbit for those wondering/who hadn't heard:

Orbital ATK has completed integration and qualification of the new RD-181 engines, and are looking forward to launch again for the first time since the incident, sometime in the coming month.

However, the ISS schedule in general is currently uncertain, as Roscosmos has delayed all its Progress and Soyuz flights while investigating a glitch in the Soyuz rocket's third stage that manifested on a recent GLONASS satellite launch (which was still successful).

Sweet

Whoa whoa hold on. Goddard's rocket is cool! That was the first liquid-fuelled rocket ever. It was built by one person, building off no previous work, and is the basis of every single liquid-fuelled rocket to date. Don't tell me you don't find that cool! :0.0:

Edited by Findthepin1
Random reason for edit

1 hour ago, Findthepin1 said:

Whoa whoa hold on. Goddard's rocket is cool! That was the first liquid-fuelled rocket ever. It was built by one person, building off no previous work, and is the basis of every single liquid-fuelled rocket to date. Don't tell me you don't find that cool! :0.0:

Yeah but... is it as cool as the R-7 Semyorka, or the Mercury Redstone?

Why are we rating the coolness of rockets? 

Why do we have some arbitrary definitions of cool? I mean, Saturn V isn't everyones idea of a cool rocket, and Goddard's isn't everyones idea of a lame rocket. 

And what is this thread doing in the Science and Spaceflight sub?

Anyway, the Antares is kind of bland. It's too white, and doesn't have as much color or detail as Falcon 9 or Saturn V. Falcon 9 is the coolest rocket flying now (IMO).

10 minutes ago, Bill Phil said:

Which Goddard rocket? 

The first liquid fueled one.  I realize that very much tightens the "cool" scale but then, I think pretty much all rockets are cool.

Edited by regex

7 minutes ago, regex said:

The first liquid fueled one.  I realize that very much tightens the "cool" scale but then, I think pretty much all rockets are cool.

Yeah. Rockets are pretty cool. But some of Goddard's later rockets had some pretty advanced tech. 

Eh, i see nothing special there. Plain and white. It doesn't have any outstanding traits - isn't reuseable (Falcon 9), isn't super reliable (Ariane 5), isn't the most powerful (Delta IV Heavy). 5 - 6 at best.

7 hours ago, Kryten said:

I'm not fond of it, at least in terms of looks. With Zenit having probably flown it's last, Antares is probably the plainest orbital rocket flying.

2 hours ago, Robotengineer said:

Why are we rating the coolness of rockets? 

Why do we have some arbitrary definitions of cool? I mean, Saturn V isn't everyones idea of a cool rocket, and Goddard's isn't everyones idea of a lame rocket. 

And what is this thread doing in the Science and Spaceflight sub?

Anyway, the Antares is kind of bland. It's too white, and doesn't have as much color or detail as Falcon 9 or Saturn V. Falcon 9 is the coolest rocket flying now (IMO).

Honestly tho, I'm just going to liquid everyone off and say F9 is an extremely plain and boring-looking rocket.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.