Commercial Space Program: Balancing Science, Funds, and Time - A Career Modlist for KSP 1.3 by Inigma

inigma

Commercial Space Program: Balancing Funds, Science, and Time - A Career Modlist for KSP 1.3 by Inigma

Do you want freedom to advance your career space program by using either funds, science, or time? Then read on!

SESYoXm.png

The Commercial Space Program modlist changes the focus of KSP away from the stock method of pure science grinding for program advancement, to a broader means where funds, science, or time can enable you to advance your space program the way you want to!

Essentially it works like this: (mods that are bolded are compatible with KSP 1.2)

1. Funds can be earned by one of four methods:

2. Science can be earned by one of four methods:

3. Time management is introduced by the Kerbal Construction Time (KCT) mod: [Kerbal Construction Time]

• requires time to pass when constructing anything
  • requires time to pass when upgrading anything
  • requires time to pass when researching a tech node
  • you can decrease how much time passes for these things by spending KCT upgrade points as the game progresses.
  • it highly recommend to use a simulator to save funds before testing and waiting on the real thing [KRASH]
  • it is highly recommended that you use a life support mod to balance time and funds accrual [Kerbalism] or [TAC - Life Support] or [USI Life Support]

4.  Research requires using science and funds to acquire technologies:

Required Stock Game Settings:

• Science Rewards: 60% (a lot of science opportunities demands a smaller yield, especially if each science point can be sold for 10k funds!)
  • No Entry Purchase Required on Research: Disabled (requires that you purchase every part you intend to research, in addition to the research node)
  • Decline Penalty: 0 (picking and choosing which contracts you want to do is realistic in my opinion and should never be penalized)

Required Mod Game Settings:

• KerbalScienceExchange: Go to GameData\KerboKatz\SmallUtilities\KerbalScienceExchange\PluginData and edit the Settings.xml to change:
    • <ratio>1000</ratio> to <ratio>10000</ratio> for 10k funds per science point.
    • <tax>1</tax> to <tax>0</tax> for no conversion fee, or <tax>1000</tax> (for a heavy conversion fee of 10%)

That's it! That's all that is needed for this career mode.

Edited by inigma

Yussss!

May I suggest Kerbalism as a life support mod? I yet have to play with it some more, but it seems to fit the stock game really well.

Edited by Veeltch

2 minutes ago, Veeltch said:

Yussss!

May I suggest Kerbalism as a life support mod? I yet have to play with it some more, but it seems to fit the stock game really well.

Added.  Also discovered Science Funding mod: 

Do you know of a Science to Funds converter?

Edited by inigma

Removed ETT as a tech tree recommendation, since if the Cheat Menu is enabled to research all techs, then one doesn't need the extra restriction of a custom tree that will never be fully up to date with all mod releases. Using the stock tree should be completely sufficient here.

Testing this further, I conclude that by unlocking all technologies, even future tech is for sale... and cheaply. Not balanced. So science must remain to keep nodes locked progressively (unless a mod is made that unlocks nodes for funds alone).  Had in mind to perhaps pursue using developing strategies in Strategia to allow for constant science to funds conversion, and to provide a one-time converter for funds back to science, so nodes can be unlocked progressively in a Tech Tree. That, or find someone to develop a conversion mod so players can do this conversion anytime they need.

On 6/4/2016 at 11:56 PM, PotatoBob said:

KSPCasher is what you're looking for.

Close. Was thinking of just a simple configurable science:funds and funds:science converter so nodes can still be unlocked with science points. It works though. I will try it out!

Edited by inigma

Updated OP.

Adding my Sounding Rockets contract pack. Great with USI Sounding Rockets, and nice side income and extra early science gathering.

After much testing, removed KerbinSideGAP for now... it's not keyed to GAP's success program yet, so it feels out of place in the contract offerings. I'll see if I can work with the dev to have it aware of GAP's progress contract for planes (island landing) before opening up air service opportunities elsewhere.

Strategia's Pilot Focus and Where No Kerbal Has Gone Before strategies play well into this game play.

I find though that I have to work a bit to jump from early planes to the 45 science point (450k) Aircraft tech node to get access to jets. I am forced to spend money upgrading SPH and the airfield so I can make larger propeller planes to accomplish the early GAP missions and thus make money or fly longer distances to gather science for cash - and this is beautiful!

I just started a new career save to test all of this and it's sooooo much better than stock!

I have one question though: It seems like the SSI contracts unlock parts, so I assume I don't even need to bother with visiting the R&D and unlocking the tree, right?

9 minutes ago, Veeltch said:

I just started a new career save to test all of this and it's sooooo much better than stock!

I have one question though: It seems like the SSI contracts unlock parts, so I assume I don't even need to bother with visiting the R&D and unlocking the tree, right?

Yes it unlocks basic parts for small carts and basic planes. I have a dev version of GAP im testing that splits out the parts into single contracts each rather than bundles.  I also run into a ksp bug though that when i research a node containing the prototype part that i have to repurchase the part.

I am also testing using KCT and wow... waiting for stuff to get built or researched simply adds to your coffers due to the daily pay you get for your rep. Makes waiting for stuff fun and rewarding like in real life. Ill add to op the additional mods I am using soon.

1 hour ago, kcs123 said:

Suggestion for few other contract packs that might fit: Bases and stations, Field research, SCANsat contract pack, Anomaly Surveyor, Tourism plus.

There is few others, but those mentioned above I have tried for myself and liked it in my career games. For others I need to use more, to be able to give opinion on them.

I'll take a look at those. I think you're right that these will help too.

I can vouch for Anomaly Surveyor: it's a simple and to the point contract pack, gives you good starting funds, and directs you toward the 'interesting' game content.

4 hours ago, Veeltch said:

It seems like the SSI contracts unlock parts, so I assume I don't even need to bother with visiting the R&D and unlocking the tree, right?

I have a question, too: what are the SSI contracts?

1 hour ago, monstah said:

SSI used to be a group of small SSTO builders here on the forums.

BTW I only encountered a few of these contracts. Do they appear later too?

In this context, SSI is, I belive, few contracts from GAP. On some contracts, you got needed experimental parts, to help you finish contracts if you haven't unlocked specific tech tree node. But that works in a similar way as "test part X in Y condition" from stock game. As soon as you finish contract, you no longer have access to that part. Also, you don't have access to other parts from tech tree, so you still have to unlock tech treee node to unlock those.

1 hour ago, monstah said:

I can vouch for Anomaly Surveyor: it's a simple and to the point contract pack, gives you good starting funds, and directs you toward the 'interesting' game content.

SSI contracts are the initial membership and part contracts for the GAP contract pack. It's a shoutout to the old Shuttlecraft Systems Inc. builders thread that I retired after the forum upgrade. The contracts are basic - requiring you to pay for membership (one time fee) in order to gain access to GAP contracts. It also provides discounted prototype parts for use (for a fee of course) to help kickstart bus and airplane programs without the need for a new tech tree.  See link to the GAP contract pack in my sig.

24 minutes ago, Veeltch said:

SSI used to be a group of small SSTO builders here on the forums.

BTW I only encountered a few of these contracts. Do they appear later too?

They will at the end... such as launching the space shuttle. As I flesh out the contract pack it should incorporate additional part testing and other world first contract type contracts.

15 minutes ago, kcs123 said:

In this context, SSI is, I belive, few contracts from GAP. On some contracts, you got needed experimental parts, to help you finish contracts if you haven't unlocked specific tech tree node. But that works in a similar way as "test part X in Y condition" from stock game. As soon as you finish contract, you no longer have access to that part. Also, you don't have access to other parts from tech tree, so you still have to unlock tech treee node to unlock those.

Yup. Accepting SSI prototype contracts (and paying for the part) will unlock the part and make it available to you immediately. No other parts are touch, and no nodes are unlocked. The accepted prototype part simply remains "experimental" until you research it as part of a later node (at which point the "experimental" flag flips to normal).

Edited by inigma

15 minutes ago, kcs123 said:

But that works in a similar way as "test part X in Y condition" from stock game. As soon as you finish contract, you no longer have access to that part. Also, you don't have access to other parts from tech tree, so you still have to unlock tech treee node to unlock those.

Oh. For one second I thought you could actually unlock tech using only contracts (and Contract Manager, presumably). Could make for a far better progression, perhaps (wink wink, modders :wink: )

Just now, monstah said:

Oh. For one second I thought you could actually unlock tech using only contracts (and Contract Manager, presumably). Could make for a far better progression, perhaps (wink wink, modders :wink: )

You can. GAP pioneers the concept. Offers a part for funds. Accept, and its yours. Contract complete.

2 minutes ago, inigma said:

Yup. Accepting SSI prototype contracts (and paying for the part) will unlock the part and make it available to you immediately. No other parts are touch, and no nodes are unlocked. The accepted prototype part simply remains "experimental" until you research it as part of a later node (at which point the "experimental" flag flips to normal).

Wait. This here makes it sound like the system uses the 'experimental' flag from stock, but leaves it in place even after the contract is finished? That sounds interesting.

Agh, stop ninja'ing me!

Anyway, thanks for the response! :D

Just now, monstah said:

Wait. This here makes it sound like the system uses the 'experimental' flag from stock, but leaves it in place even after the contract is finished? That sounds interesting.

Yes.  @nightingale graciously processed that enhancement to CC a while back.

updated OP with links and draft layout for expansion.

11 minutes ago, monstah said:

I agree, though would still prefer to do that with money (but haven't found a mod that does that).

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.