Play style and crash frequency?

12 minutes ago, Van Disaster said:

I did spend a lot of time getting rid of NREs & other log warnings before I started a new game with the current build.

NRE? Neils Ready to Eat??:D

2 hours after reinstall: so far not a crash. (could it be this simple?)

I wish I could say "no problems" but I have had some issues in Map view. being unable to add a node, and not showing encounter points, but quitting to the KSC and reloading the ship seemed to fix it.

Edited by Brainlord Mesomorph

1 hour ago, Brainlord Mesomorph said:

2 hours after reinstall: so far not a crash. (could it be this simple?)

That's just poodleing awesome.

Please report back after a few more hours and let us know if the crash frequency really did improve.

I have never played or modded the steam folder, I always copy it and play from another location. This may be why I am not crashing as much as others. A few times in 30-40 hours of 1.1 time maybe.

I play one career at a time and will only swap to an old career if I want to remind myself of a particular craft design.  I have a number of stations and objects in different orbits that I switch too, but when flying a mission I usually focus on the mission itself which may or may not be multiple craft.  Every 3 or 4 missions / launches I try to remember to nuke all my space junk from orbit which often involves me jumping around craft and making sure the junk really is junk,  I often forget to name craft appropriately until I carry out this task.

Only mod I have installed is MJ for a Dv calculator, which i sincerely wish was stock.  KSP runs quite nicely on my 2012 Macbook pro retina OS X 10.10.4.  I have had perhaps a half dozen crashes during my entire time playing KSP and none that I can recall recently.  As I stated in a previous post I have had some issues with KSP booting but I found that was because mods I had installed (namely KIS and Kerbal engineer) were trying to check for updates on my wonky wifi connection and when they were unable to contact there update providers they caused the game to hang and cease loading.  Removing these mods solved the problem.

Started the game 13+ hours ago, did 3-4 complex missions last night, left it running, have done some development work on planes so lots of in & out of the SPH & loading Kerbin with EVE clouds & scatterer and so on. The game is using 8GB memory currently and pauses about once a minute for something ( either garbage collection or FAR doing something ) which isn't there when I start up initially, but other than that performance is great.

I get my copies from the shop, and I have a complex install with all my mods outside the game tree completely. Actually even the game is outside the install - I symlink everything I can into whatever game install directory I'm using, that way I can have multiple installs with hardly any extra disk usage or more importantly duplicate things to manage...

Ok 100% stable since I started playing again 2+ weeks ago.  Win 8.1.  High spec computer (i7-5930k not oc'ed at the moment, 16GB DD4, 980ti).  I just stated playing with the 32 bit version that steam had auto-updated over the last two years.  About a week ago I switched to the 64 bit version. Only one mod (to retexture the navbal).  Started new career.  Worked my way up to ~250 part ships and two simultaneous missions.  A lot of Alt-Tabbing to check reference and threads here.  Frequent switching between map mode and external view (though maybe a bit less of that lately).  Generally leave it on about 15-16 hours a day though only playing about 1/2 that on average; sessions vary from a few hours to nearly a dozen.  Have run into a few minor bugs (like landing legs exploding by walking into them) but 0 crashes.

Had like literally two crashes because of lack of memory (2.5 gigs get used pretty fast) since I started playing the game (looong ago). Now in current career since 1.0 (of course updating to newest version everytime) ~60 flights, some utility & visual mods, no crashes at all.

Well, my primary game/save is in 1.0.4, so that might not be relevant...aw heck, I'll tell you anyways. I have about 145 mods installed, I spend a lot of time in the VAB, and when missions do fly, I use Kerbal Alarm Clock to coordinate the long duration missions to run in the background so I can fly more pressing short duration LKO or KTO/KEO missions. I have about 35 flights in progress on average. All of this equates to...rarely any crashes. There might a few on startup, but mods are usually to blame for that. Elsewhere in game (VAB, Tracking Station, in flight, etc.), it crashes rarely if ever.

1.1.2, on the other hand, I can't even get out of the SPH. Usually in a stock game I build aircraft, so I spend about an hour building, click "launch", and then violently pull doughnuts on the runway fly that aircraft for another 15 minutes, after which, the game crashes. Sometimes it will crash inside the SPH for no particular reason.

Then again, I'm on Linux, and people on that side have said it's a bit unstable. I don't know why it crashes and I honestly don't care; I have my 1.0.4 save, so I'm good.

Edited by Mrsupersonic8

Multiple large ship and bases, pretty often switching between them, both ISRU and transmitting and restocking science in labs require visits during long interplanetary trips i mostly switch between them
No crashes compared with old kps where saves tend to become crash feasts as they got to close to the 3.8 gb limit, 

An more relevant question might be how much free memory you have? if KSP runs out of free physical memory it will probably crash. 
No this does not cause the crash in VAB bug on new games, but if game start to crash then you get lots of mods and huge ships like the 32 bit version this might be the reason.

I mainly fly a mission from end to end, unless it's stations of course.
So rarely more than 5-6 missions active at any one time in any one save.

CKAN reports 15 mods, and a quick look at gamedata (excluding Squad) gives about 15MB added.

I average about 1-2 hours a day and has had 1 crash since 1.1 (most likely caused by my mouse/keyboard sharing software having a fit and reported my mouse moving to something like 3 miles off my screen ...)

Using win10-64, 8GB ram and a screaming GTX-570.
Clean install from ksp store, mods installed and updated with CKAN.

• 4 weeks later...

I've got a Munar Polar Probe and two Kerbin Polar Probes running with SCANsat bits, a Mun Station just after its Kerbin escape burn, a KEO Satellite, and a wide Kerbin orbit satellite.  There are roughly half a dozen busted homeless craft in orbit leftover from contract rescue missions.  I've been waiting till I get the Klaw to de-orbit those rather than just kill them from the Tracking Station.  I haven't looked at the wide orbit or KEO Satellite since i put them up, but check in on the Polar Probes and Mun Station routinely with KAC.  Everything has a KER chip and Chatterer playing.  My Kerbals are gaining quite a collection of medals from Final Frontier.  None of that causes a problem.  

In my current save, I'm working on SSTOs and flying simple orbital rockets for training / rescues.  Rescue missions require several rapid vessel swaps which doesn't cause a crashe.  Nearly every time I recover a vessel, or go back to the SPH to make an adjustment to an SSTO, KSP 1.1.2 (now 1.1.3) crashes to desktop.  Very frustrating, because over the course of two hours, I'll spend 30-45 minutes waiting for the game to reload.  I don't even play it through Steam.

So now I've removed everything through Steam, and verified that everything is deleted from the local install folders.  Downloaded a fresh copy, and going through to re-install mods one-at-a-time.

Everything but the VAB/SPH runs surprisingly well for an 8 year old 2.3 GHz AMD and the Windows XP 3.25 GB RAM limit.  I've also got a 1 Gb GeForce GPU.  If I could lick this VAB/SPH/Recovery crash, I don't even care that Jool doesn't sparkle.

Edited by HalcyonSon

I'm running 64bit 1.0.5 with KCT, RT, EL, KAS and a bunch of smaller mods.

Rapidly polluting the surface of Minmus with debris from rovers and ships, but I've managed to keep space somewhat clean by building out my comms network on the surface.

No crashes at all, which is why I'm still here; my Kerbals have zero existential fear about flying a subsonic plane to the poles of Kerbin and back (many fears related to engineering flaws, but that's different).

OK, my Emiko Career game has been going since the 1.0.5 update... I think that's when I started it.

I currently have 85 flights going, and the only crashes I've had are recent, when I try to enter the VAB or SPH, which I've already read is apparently a known bug.  Only happens now and then,... kind of a strange bug.

Other than that I've played CTD free.

Oh, I'm playing on an i7-4790  3.60GHz with 8 gigs of ram and a NVidia graphics card.

Crash frequency...what do I make of that? If it's about game crashes, then my KSP does crash occasionally. Once I got the infamous Blue Screen of (Not) Death (Serious, that happened a lot with Universe Sandbox 2, and my computer is still okay). The crashes are usually caused by having a bunch of Kopernicus planets and planet packs installed. Rarely, it crashes after the game freezes.

Craft crashes are pretty common for me. Some are intentional, some are because of rocket and/or plane failures.

Crashes usually only happen to me when I'm alt-tabbed out. They happen often enough to stop me from alt-tabbing out and make me browse the web from my smartphone instead, while KSP is running. Some of them might be mod-related, because once it crashed right after a KAC-alarm. Yesterday, when I clicked on the "Space Center" button while from my active ship, my game windows just disappeared without producing any crash logs or error messages.

I use timewarp very "economically" and always have about 5-10 missions going simultaneously and I tend to switch ships quite often. There are dozens of satellites in orbits within the Kerbin SOI and also some bases on various bodies. Ships don't tend to leave the VAB with less than 150 parts. I'm very careless about dropping debris and I don't deorbit or terminate it either, so there is quite a lot of junk up there. I also have ~150 persistent asteroids visible from my tracking station (don't ask me what I need those for, I can't really tell you).

Before launching new missions I usually spend about 1-2 hours in the VAB/SPH, because I tend to design individual vehicles from scratch for all but the most generic missions. I normally don't play around constructing ships if I don't intend to launch those afterwards (so I spend most of my time outside of KSC buildings).

My main (career) save is still from 0.90 (I generally put a lot of playtime into a single save and don't restart very often). Currently, I only have 14 mods installed. My system is fairly decent, with 32GB ram, a water-cooled 12-core i7 @3,3GHz (not overclocked) and a GTX 980ti. I play KSP on Windows 10.

18 GB RAM.
I'm still running 1.1.2 because I'm waiting for certain mods to be updated for 1.1.3.
But since 1.1 my game crashes in random intervals in the VAB. Mainly when placing or deleting parts. Anything between 5 Minutes to 2 hours. Usually 2-3 times an hour.
Regardless of the size of the craft I'm constructing.
But I guess this should improve with 1.1.3, as Squad addressed some crash problems in the VAB.

Due to regularly using planet packs, my play style usually involved picking a small selection of mods for exploring one particular planet pack, and then exploring all of the planets added by that pack (and sometimes some stock ones too) in a single game. I have different sets of mods for different sets of planets, and generally I'll switch between them whenever I feel like exploring somewhere else. The small number of active mods and missions in each individual game means that crashes are incredibly rare, whereas if I were to play with all of those mods active and all of those missions ongoing I would probably experience very regular crashes (and enormous quantities of lag).

My modcount is in the region of 50; not all of these are explicitly up-to-date. I did once fly a 4-vessel convoy to assemble a station in 1.0.5 (my first experience with docking and it actually went very well) but generally I don't like to fly more than two active Kerbin SOI flights at a time, which keeps constant vessel switching at a minimum. I do a lot of testing on standardised vehicles, meaning a lot of reverts to VAB, which can lead to crashing after maybe 6 times onwards. On 'real' missions I freely litter LKO with space junk (before I abandon the save I wanna do a challenge where one assembles a ship from debris). Rarely does a session go by without a crash, but I think most of them may only be related to using alt+tab/ctrl+esc. My ships are of moderate size but I don't know if the partcount is a lot, often around 150-300 since version 1.1.

Edited by Guest

having reached 4 large bases Mun, Minmus, Ike, Gilly, smaller on Duna, 4 medium sized ships and 4 large ones i find that the game has an decent chance crashing during the check them out and transmit science runs every 19 day. 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.