Into New animated Horizons

SQUAD

It’s been more than 4 years since I embarked on the adventure of animating Kerbals. I got to work with amazingly talented people, and can’t measure the tons of experience I was able to gain from them. I’m really grateful to have been part of Squad, and most important of the trust they weighted on me while having creative control over the animated characters. I feel the love of the community for the Kerbals and it really makes me happy to see all the fan work in the forums: drawings, illustrations, animations, all of it.

It’s time for me to take a step forward and take care of one personal project, which involves being a student once more in pursuit of a postgraduate degree, and I need to be 100% focused on that path to make it happen.

I always tell the guys here at the office I don’t like watching the old animations I’ve done, but you don’t realize how much you’ve learned until you look back. The very first animation I did with the Kerbals looked something like this:

And the latest one looked something like...

I hope you were all entertained by the Kerbals I was handled to animate and their misfortunes adventures, as much I was making them suffer happy. I’m pretty sure Kerbals will be around for a long period of time, they are really amazing characters to work with from an artistic point of view. For me, it was an amazing experience being able to shape the foundations of the Kerbals as animated characters.

All the best, and thank you for being such an amazing community

6z3cYti.gif

Dan

@danrpaulsen

Thanks for all the laughs Dan, and for breathing even more life and energy into those li'l green guys we all love so much!

Wishing you the very best of luck to help you with all that hard work, and we hope to hear from you again some time.

I kinda figured we were going to start seeing people leave soon, Cant expect everyone to stick around on 1 thing forever :P..... Still doesn't make it any less sad to see you leave.
Everyone on the team has been a wonderful part of this amazing creation.  I am proud to have been able to ride along with all of you fine people from the start and watch this dream grow and develop.
I wish you the best of luck on your post-grad adventures, And hopefully, Seeing what kind of awesome work you let loose on the world in the future.

Edited by Trollsama

Good luck!   I really love your videos, especially that last one.  You've been a huge influence on me and how I've been blowing up stuff writing my Emiko Saga.  :D  I'm sorry to see you leave, but I totally understand doing the postgraduate thing.   I hope you have time to drop by now and then and say let us know how it's going....  

Yet another role with big shoes to fill.  You wouldn't believe how many times I go back and watch the old KSP animations.  Now if we could just get that EVA mesh... :wink:

I wish you all the best, @danRosas.

Just now, Clockwork13 said:

Mean but funny.

My father knew every single one of the astronauts on Challenger.  Ellison Onizuka was a good family friend whose daughters were in the same school with my sister and I.  Seeing that situation played for laughs is just wrong.

Anyone who had a part in creating or approving that animation should be ashamed.

1 minute ago, razark said:

My father knew every single one of the astronauts on Challenger.  Ellison Onizuka was a good family friend whose daughters were in the same school with my sister and I.  Seeing that situation played for laughs is just wrong.

Anyone who had a part in creating or approving that animation should be ashamed.

Ooh, I thought you were just saying it because you didn't like the animation in general. From that perspective though, I can see why you want it gone.

razark,

It's really sad that you associate that animation with the Challenger Shuttle disaster. It has similarities but this is not a unique explosion pattern. It's also sad that you would bring this up on Dan's good bye thread. It shows that you are still dealing with the loss from that horrible disaster. You are exhibiting very strong passive-aggressive behavior buy responding here long after that disaster. Please find someone to help you deal with this loss. It may be affecting other things in your life.

Dan,

Thanks for breathing life into Kerbals over the years! Good luck in grad school and your future career.

39 minutes ago, razark said:

Lighten up a little. I have distant family members who were victims of the holocaust. I have immediate family members who committed suicide. I, myself, have been battling sudden, unexplained, and INTENSE panic attacks this past year. All situations are serious, and I can laugh about all of them.

Yes, a bad thing happened. Yes, it hurt people. But if you don't move on, you'll only hold yourself down.

Challenger was a disaster and of course I wish it never happened. But I'm also not going to NOT laugh when someone makes a challenger joke, because I've excepted that a terrible thing has come and gone. I've moved on.

On topic: Is anyone else finding it odd that the buggiest update ever is released and then Devs start stepping down. I mean, I wish Dan well in his future endeavors and all, but...we are gunna fix this right?

Edited by Greenfire32

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.