Reducing CPU temperature in VAB [solved]

KSP was always a demanding game for my CPU.
But with KSP 1.1 it even got worse. Especially in the VAB/SPH.
What bothers me the most is, that my CPU temperature (i7 2600) is now at up to 90-97 °C which is near the limit of Tj of 98°C.
It has a total CPU load of 40-50%.
The temperature on the motherboard maxes out at about 43 °C during play.
I don't know where the sensor of the CPU is located. But this temperature feels worrysome to me. Even if the CPU is not yet throttling back to prevent thermal overstess.
When in flight, the temperature decreases to about 80°C, which is also odd, consdering that in the VAB there are no physics, while in play mode there are.

What I tried was to lower the graphic settings from maximum to minimum. But it didn't make any difference. It's apparently not the graphics that cause that.
I also deactivated the VAB ground crew. No effect.
Recently I added a second side fan directly over my CPUs downblower and made my fan settings much more agressive than I used to have it. But it only had little effect.
And I don't want to mount some other CPU cooler, as my PC is 4,5 years old now and I plan to build a new gaming PC until spring 2017 anyway. I don't want to spend more money on upgrades.
But until then, I'm stuck here. And summer is coming...

Apart from buying a better CPU cooler, is there anything I can do software-wise to reduce my CPU temperature in KSP, especially in the VAB?

Edited by Cairol
solved

6 hours ago, Cairol said:

Apart from buying a better CPU cooler, is there anything I can do software-wise to reduce my CPU temperature in KSP, especially in the VAB?

Nope. But you can try cleaning the cooling fans :wink:

My CPU tends to run at 98% when operating KSP, I have an i5 installed. Operating temperature: 50-55 degrees. The secret? Good airflow through the tower and a huuuuge cooler. Isn't expensive, does keep your cpu alive for longer...

FYI, the sensor is located on cpu itself, every core contains a sensor. Quality of the cooling paste, cooling capacity, ambient temperature, etc. all have a lot of influence on temperature control. I know, this is not very KSP related, but I do suggest proper maintenance on your PC to extend it's lifetime. Good luck!

17 hours ago, swjr-swis said:

Be sure to thank Claw for solving this for you before you even posted about it. :wink:

Wohoo! Did not see this. The fix really reduced the CPU load in the VAB.
My temperature is now stable at 64°C instead of 97°C with a CPU load of about 30% instead of about 50% without the DLL.
In flight, it's still high, but unless it's at the edge of the CPUs limit, I can cope with that.

12 hours ago, Adelaar said:

Nope. But you can try cleaning the cooling fans :wink:

My CPU tends to run at 98% when operating KSP, I have an i5 installed. Operating temperature: 50-55 degrees. The secret? Good airflow through the tower and a huuuuge cooler. Isn't expensive, does keep your cpu alive for longer...

FYI, the sensor is located on cpu itself, every core contains a sensor. Quality of the cooling paste, cooling capacity, ambient temperature, etc. all have a lot of influence on temperature control. I know, this is not very KSP related, but I do suggest proper maintenance on your PC to extend it's lifetime. Good luck!

I planned my airflow thoroughly when building my PC and I'm cleaning my coolers and fans regularely.
I'm sure it's not my airflow or dust that causes the issue. (I have dust nets on every fan that blows inside the case)
The only mistake I did was to use the "boxed" cooler, because early tests when the CPU was brand new actually made it look decent.
And at first it really was.
But as my machine is no > 4 years old, games became more demanding and new my cooler is constantly overstrained with those games.
Even when my CPU is not nearly maxed out.

Thanks for your input. Guess I have to decide if I spent those bucks for a new cooler then, or if I further stress my CPU for the next months until the new PC is assembled.
I really hoped to not having to disassemble/reassemble my CPU/Cooler. It's something I like to do only once per PC.

I would always recommend upgrading the CPU cooler, whatever the use. The stock cooler is only certified to keep the temperature within bounds, given that the ambient case temperature isn't too high. I understand the hassle of installing a new fan; it's a pain in the ***. But it does increase the resale value of your old pc, so it might be worth while. :)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.