[1.5.1] PSA Greenhouse for USI Life Support v. 1.5.1 - 2018Nov05

panarchist

EDIT: I just updated this mod to add TAC-LS and Snacks compatibility, and updated to "modern" USI-LS balance standards. There may be errors or inconsistencies, and I am actively soliciting feedback from users to refine the balance. The 2.5m part supports one kerbal. The 3.75m part supports 3 kerbals.

This isn't going to be anything groundbreaking, but I present the Panarchist Space Alliance greenhouse:

kHE1QTT.png

This is a basic greenhouse using the model ZZZ put in public domain, coupled with configuration files for 2 parts which include support for RoverDude's "USI Life Support" mod, Snacks, and TAC-LS.  It requires one of those mods, and Module Manager (not bundled).  It's meant for people who really like the styling of ZZZ's greenhouse and want to use it with USI-LS, TAC-LS, or Snacks.  The PSA greenhouse comes in 2 sizes - 2.5m and 3.75m.  The 2.5m greenhouse has the same mass and specs as the USI-LS greenhouse.  The 3.75m variant sizes up appropriately.

Due to time constraints, it's unlikely I will be updating this often - since it's a straight part mod with very simple animations, it's unlikely to break anytime in the near future with KSP upgrades, so even if the version number is old, it's likely you can continue using the mod without issues.  That said, it *is* a mod, and as with all mods, the risk to your save game is all yours - ANY mod can potentially break KSP or destroy a save game, so PLEASE back up your saves before installing.

LICENSE:
Configuration files and code are licensed under the GPL v3 license, and derived in part from RoverDude's configs, and config files from Angel-125 and linuxgurugamer.  Model and textures are public domain and created by ZZZ.

DOWNLOAD:

Get it on Spacedock, or...
Get it on Github

SOURCE: It's configuration files, so the files *are* the source, or see the aforementioned Github link.

LATEST RELEASE: v 1.5.1 on Nov 5th, 2018 - Added TAC-LS and Snacks support

Edited by panarchist
Add links, update

A question about the sun angle:

I use the Snacks system, and greenhouses came with that. Their output depends on the sun angle, the same as a solar panel, but the zero direction, where the sun generates maximum input, is aligned with the long axis. And they're a similar layout to your model. That all makes it a bit tricky to combine with solar panels.

So do your greenhouses depend on the sun angle, and does it point in a plausible direction?

1 minute ago, Wolf Baginski said:

A question about the sun angle:

I use the Snacks system, and greenhouses came with that. Their output depends on the sun angle, the same as a solar panel, but the zero direction, where the sun generates maximum input, is aligned with the long axis. And they're a similar layout to your model. That all makes it a bit tricky to combine with solar panels.

So do your greenhouses depend on the sun angle, and does it point in a plausible direction?

No, and no.  The presumption is that the shutters are decorative, and that part of the EC used is for grow lamps.  There's at least 3 other mods using this greenhouse model, so you might look around to see if one of them is set up that way.  I may look into that at some point, though, because it'd be cool to have the greenhouse be dependent on sun angle.  I'm pretty sure that Biomass took that into consideration back when that mod used this model - but they've since moved to a different model and textures.

1 hour ago, einstein72 said:

Please add TAC-LS support for this! I would love to finally have an orbital greenhouse instead of needing to use the Planetary Base Systems' surface greenhouse.

@einstein72 - There's already one of these with TAC-LS configs, try the SETI Greenhouse: http://spacedock.info/mod/19 - if that mod goes away, I'd be happy to fill the gap, but I don't see a need for duplication of what's already out there unless it's severely unbalanced. @Yemo has been doing some great work with the SETI mods (I use them in another save game) and my mod is very similar to his greenhouse mod since we're using the exact same model and textures.

We both use the same model, one that forum user ZZZ created a couple years back when he was involved with the KSP Interstellar mod.  The main reasons I published this as a separate mod are that the SETI greenhouse USI-LS configs are out-of-date, and because I needed a parts pack thread for the parts I am currently working on.  Eventually, I hope this will grow into a parts pack, and I plan to have 1 or 2 more mods out there if I can manage to figure out how to code some dlls.

5 minutes ago, einstein72 said:

@panarchist I didn't know you used the same model, I only asked because SETI is still not updated for 1.1.2

Oh, no worries.  SETI Greenhouse is a pure parts mod, no DLL file - so it shouldn't have any issues under 1.1.2.  From the perspective of models/textures, both mods are using a legacy format which is still supported by KSP.  1.1.2 still supports that.

39 minutes ago, Bishop149 said:

So they are functionally identical to USI's Nom-o-matics?

Cool, I do prefer this design

They function very similar to Nom-O-Matics, but have a required resource of Machinery, which I am unsure of where it comes from. They also have crew capacity and a life small life support recycler. But yes, the basic mechanic is the same as the Nom-O-Matic, it just has some additional features and one more hoop to jump through.

@panachrist

When you say "adding additional parts" do you mean more of zzz's work or additional public domain stuff or original creations or...? I'm pretty familiar with zzz's work (I still have all the zips somewhere I think if you need them)...you could look at repurposing one of the domes....it looks "bio-domey" to get all technical.:D Sort of like the current Nom-O-Matics, but flatter and more for terrestrial bases.

There is also a killer radial sphere container (used by a lot of mods now though), which could be used for storage of Noms. Better yet, use a Fuel Switching mod for Supplies/Fertilizer/Mulch.

Cheers.

p.s.

Did you kill the solar panel in the greenhouse?:(

Edited by Deimos Rast

5 hours ago, Deimos Rast said:

They function very similar to Nom-O-Matics, but have a required resource of Machinery, which I am unsure of where it comes from. They also have crew capacity and a life small life support recycler. But yes, the basic mechanic is the same as the Nom-O-Matic, it just has some additional features and one more hoop to jump through.

@panachrist

When you say "adding additional parts" do you mean more of zzz's work or additional public domain stuff or original creations or...? I'm pretty familiar with zzz's work (I still have all the zips somewhere I think if you need them)...you could look at repurposing one of the domes....it looks "bio-domey" to get all technical.:D Sort of like the current Nom-O-Matics, but flatter and more for terrestrial bases.

There is also a killer radial sphere container (used by a lot of mods now though), which could be used for storage of Noms. Better yet, use a Fuel Switching mod for Supplies/Fertilizer/Mulch.

Cheers.

p.s.

Did you kill the solar panel in the greenhouse?:(

Thanks for pointing that out @Deimos Rast and @Bishop149 - they emulate the greenhouse from UKS, not the Nom-O-Matic from USI-LS.  I'll fix that in a day or two so the machinery requirement is only MM'd in when UKS is installed.

I may repurpose a few more public domain assets or MIT-license assets of ZZZ and others, but ideally I'd like to try my hand at part creation.  "Eventually" really is just that - eventually.  From ZZZ's items, I'll likely bundle the old containers because I really liked using those for KAS.  They're not in the KIS distro, and the custom textures are KAS-specific and not public-licensed, but the original ZZZ textures are.  I may forgo the KIS portion and use them as radial "Supplies" containers.

The greenhouse doesn't currently have a solar panel - I'd forgotten about that, and I should add it in.

You mean these? I think there is a similar inline container set that Snacks used, although I wouldn't worry about that. And your KAS containers should be here.

But the license is a bit wonky. IgorZ is the current maintainer of KIS/KAS and might be able to answer any questions about it. I had heard that zzz later stated that all her/his works were public domain, but that might only apply to works as an individual. No idea, way before my time.

Cheers.

Models and textures of containers, bays, strut, pipe and pylon was created by zzz, who retains the copyright

zIUtwgj.jpg

On 13/06/2016 at 7:47 AM, panarchist said:

No, and no.  The presumption is that the shutters are decorative, and that part of the EC used is for grow lamps.  There's at least 3 other mods using this greenhouse model, so you might look around to see if one of them is set up that way.  I may look into that at some point, though, because it'd be cool to have the greenhouse be dependent on sun angle.  I'm pretty sure that Biomass took that into consideration back when that mod used this model - but they've since moved to a different model and textures.

That's OK. No effect is better than something that contradicts the visual model. I don't know how solar panels set the zero, but it wouldn't surprise me if it has to be a particular axis in the model.

I shall have a look at doing something with Module Manager to make is Snacks compatible. That system is a simple life-support mechanism, and not bothering with sun-angle fits with that simplicity.

Looking at the Snacks greenhouse, it's its own solar panel which converts a trickle of EC into snacks. In the logic of the software, opening the covers over the greenhouse is no different from deploying a solar panel

11 hours ago, Deimos Rast said:

You mean these? I think there is a similar inline container set that Snacks used, although I wouldn't worry about that. And your KAS containers should be here.

But the license is a bit wonky. IgorZ is the current maintainer of KIS/KAS and might be able to answer any questions about it. I had heard that zzz later stated that all her/his works were public domain, but that might only apply to works as an individual. No idea, way before my time.

Cheers.

zIUtwgj.jpg

Those are the ones.  Those textures are fair game - ZZZ put them into public domain, as you said.  The KAS 0.4 containers use that model, but Kospy never released the textures into the public domain, and those are KAS-specific.  IgorZ maintains the mod, but only Kospy can authorize the use of the textures.  I was very plugged into that at the time, I was thinking of creating a small parts mod just using those containers for TAC-LS purposes.  Anyway, they're great models which no longer have a home in anyone's mod, AFAIK, so I'm thinking of doing something with those, just because I still really like how they look.  Might retexture them, though.

1 hour ago, Wolf Baginski said:

That's OK. No effect is better than something that contradicts the visual model. I don't know how solar panels set the zero, but it wouldn't surprise me if it has to be a particular axis in the model.

I shall have a look at doing something with Module Manager to make is Snacks compatible. That system is a simple life-support mechanism, and not bothering with sun-angle fits with that simplicity.

Looking at the Snacks greenhouse, it's its own solar panel which converts a trickle of EC into snacks. In the logic of the software, opening the covers over the greenhouse is no different from deploying a solar panel

Cool - if you put together a MM patch, let me know and I can bundle it in.  I don't use Snacks anymore, (though I did for a bit) and I don't have a lot of time I can devote to things Kerbal, so unfortunately I don't have the bandwidth right now to put in support for everyone's LS mod.  Happy to incorporate suggestions, though, and to give credit in the readme file and this thread to anyone contributing LS MM definitions.

1 hour ago, panarchist said:

Those are the ones.  Those textures are fair game - ZZZ put them into public domain, as you said.  The KAS 0.4 containers use that model, but Kospy never released the textures into the public domain, and those are KAS-specific.  IgorZ maintains the mod, but only Kospy can authorize the use of the textures.  I was very plugged into that at the time, I was thinking of creating a small parts mod just using those containers for TAC-LS purposes.  Anyway, they're great models which no longer have a home in anyone's mod, AFAIK, so I'm thinking of doing something with those, just because I still really like how they look.  Might retexture them, though.

Actually, these are being worked on now, to be included in the new BioMass mod. I'm also redoing them to be included in a ZZZ's part pack mod I am currently also working on. :)

19 minutes ago, Stone Blue said:

Actually, these are being worked on now, to be included in the new BioMass mod. I'm also redoing them to be included in a ZZZ's part pack mod I am currently also working on. :)

Oh, awesome - glad to hear those aren't just dying on the vine.  I've been a big fan of BioMass, but haven't used it in a while since moving over to USI-LS.

3 minutes ago, panarchist said:

Oh, awesome - glad to hear those aren't just dying on the vine.  I've been a big fan of BioMass, but haven't used it in a while since moving over to USI-LS.

Yup.. the mod is having a MAJOR overhaul done... Also integration with several other LS mods is planned, including USI... :)

here are some of the inline zzz containers, maybe from the other pack but they look new.(to me). License is public domain.WTFPL. The link is to the Snack Pack mod which uses them, but you'd only be after the models, which are zzz's work. Are there any other type pieces you're looking for?

Problem with a parts mod for TACLS is that it already has a lot of parts, unless you do something like fuelswitching (a la Cargo Transfer Bags mod). That would be useful.

euVJAdH.jpg

Sweet, containers n boxes n things ... :D

I'd also like to ask (but looking at the screenshot is a bit telling) if you got all of the emissives working in the Greenhouse for the lights. We've had the same problem too. Inevitably, those models need to be completely reworked in Unity. Zzz was a mad genius ... :wink: 

Will watch with interest.

9 hours ago, phoenix_ca said:

The CLS modules aren't MM configs like your description suggests but actually part of the parts' config files. Was that intentional? (I'm trying to figure-out if CLS should be a hard dependency in CKAN or just recommended.)

As far as I know there is no harm in adding the module to the parts without the mod installed. Only time I can think of CLS ever being a hard dependency would be for like a wonky docking port. Keep in mind I'm not the author though, I just habitually add the CLS module to custom parts and then forget to install the mod:D

Still, probably should be in an MM config, or have a :NEEDS[ConnectedLivingSpace]

Th only real difference between defining the extra MODULEs in the .cfg's, and an MM patch, is you could get ALL the parts at once in a single text file, making updates or changes easier cuz you're editing just one file, vs a bunch of .cfgs...

AND, by adding the MODULEs to the .cfgs, you'll just spam the logs with warnings or exceptions (due to the CLS mod not being present), where as an MM patch wouldnt spam the logs...

And you might be able to add more functionality/integration with other mods being installed/uninstalled, using an MM patch, rather than having to cover ALL case scenarios in the .cfgs, or have to edit them all again, just to add something simple...

Edited by Stone Blue

As soon as I get done tweaking things, I'll be pushing a new release up.  When I created the part definitions, they were set up for UKS.  There's a lot of people out there who use USI-LS but not UKS, or UKS-Lite, so I pulled out the UKS stuff (including CLS, which is bundled in UKS by default) and rebalanced both parts according to the guidance RoverDude gave both on that thread and in the USI-LS config files.  The current parts aren't producing fast enough, and aren't drawing as much EC as they're supposed to.  So, new ones will go up tonight or tomorrow.

It might have to go up without the UKS MM file, though, because I just can't seem to get that to work right.  I swear the format is correct, but it's only applying half the edits and not the other half.  So with the patch, the greenhouse ends up needing 20 EC/s *and* 6 EC/s, rather than just the one.  Also, I needed to pull out a couple MM files I made which support Lack's Mk2 rotating Ring, which is an awesome part other than being *way* too light.

I posted some CLS and USI-LS MM definitions for KSO parts (the space station) recently in that thread, so I'm not completely clueless on how to work with MM, but I'm also by no means an expert.  Anyway, hoping to have that up soon, one way or the other.

18 hours ago, phoenix_ca said:

The CLS modules aren't MM configs like your description suggests but actually part of the parts' config files. Was that intentional? (I'm trying to figure-out if CLS should be a hard dependency in CKAN or just recommended.)

That was originally intentional, as per my update in the above text.

On 6/14/2016 at 0:29 PM, Stone Blue said:

I have those inline tanks, to include in MY ZZZ parts pack... IIRC, IFILS also uses those...

They're great parts

On 6/14/2016 at 0:40 PM, BetaguyGZT said:

Sweet, containers n boxes n things ... :D

I'd also like to ask (but looking at the screenshot is a bit telling) if you got all of the emissives working in the Greenhouse for the lights. We've had the same problem too. Inevitably, those models need to be completely reworked in Unity. Zzz was a mad genius ... :wink: 

Will watch with interest.

Not sure - I haven't messed with the emissives.  I really suck at textures, I am entry level learning on a lot of this stuff - I mostly do Cloud Software support and implementation as a day job, so I can read code but not so fast or outstanding at writing it, and I was never much of an artist.  Ideally I'd end up at some point partnering with someone who's a mad genius at texturing. (I can sort of do 3D models) :wink:

And yes, zzz was a mad genius - I wish he was still hanging around the forums, his creations were amazing and are getting as much use now as 3 years ago.

7 hours ago, phoenix_ca said:

Well, I lol'd. :P

I'll still wait for @panarchist's answer but thanks; that's good to know.

I've done the same - @Deimos Rast is right, having the CLS module there doesn't hurt anything, and it means that if someone else's mod has bundled it, you're not suddenly trying to figure out why your kerbal can't travel through my greenhouse part to get from the command module to the midship docking port.

Edited by panarchist

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.