Duna Colonial Transporter

Hey Kerbals!

I have finished my Duna Colonial Transporter, capable of taking 10 kerbals from low kerbin orbit to Duna surface and back, with USI life support.

The rocket requires some infrastructure. Namely, it needs to refuel after the first launch and every trip in LKO by two rockets. Then, refuel in Duna surface for launch all the way to LKO (although some refueling might be needed in LDO). The duna refueling station will have all propellant already made and two Duna SSTO tankers by the time the Transporter arrives, so it's a pit stop really.

However, I need help with the trajectory. How do I set up a trajectory that enables me to make a short stop and continue to meet Kerbin? I was thinking about launching it with an apoapsis a little over Duna's orbit, in order to intercept on the way up (from Kerbol), land refuel, launch, and return. But I'm having trouble with the return window. I don't want to have the Transporter waiting on Duna surface, as there will be a station there.

Anyone have ideas? I will post a photo of all the transporter and infrastructure as soon as everything is ready.

Short version, there is no such thing. Duna and Kerbin orbits aren't set up for arrival at Duna during the return window back to Kerbin.

Long version, carry more fuel and travel whenever the hellyou like :)

Google Aldrin cycler, and there was a cycler challenge thread a while back with some links to where people did the math. Might be what you are looking for. Orbit swings outside Duna about 20 percent, and you have to boost ships up to meet it. Not efficient for fuel, but good for life support. May need more than one.

Edited by Jetski

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.