KASA- All of NASA's flights recreated in KSP (WIP)

1 hour ago, pTrevTrevs said:

I've been asking this question myself since I bought the game, back in 0.20.

You could use the Outer Planets Mod, although it really depends on just how stock you want to go. OPM won't affect the parts used in the craft, and I think people will be able to run the save without it, and you eill be able to send Cassini and Voyager to the proper planets.

I am really trying to go for pure stock but might make it outer planet compatibly...

I dunno. It is still a long way away.

Great! I will keep an eye on this thread! I love stock replicas..

And here: I made these for somebody else on the forum a couple of years ago.

KASA%20Flag.png

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/9346020/KASA.png 

Good luck!

On 6/17/2016 at 4:05 PM, Majorjim said:

You should have a look at this thread:

Mulbin was/is probably the best KSP builder I have ever seen on these forums and he made a lot of the rockets you will be making. Take a look and learn from the best!

He is not building anymore as he is making his own space game now and sim pit!

I was looking at that forum post the other day. Unfortunately most of the links were broken after the forum update :(

7 hours ago, WooDzor said:

Great! I will keep an eye on this thread! I love stock replicas..

And here: I made these for somebody else on the forum a couple of years ago.

KASA%20Flag.png

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/9346020/KASA.png 

Good luck!

I was looking at that forum post the other day. Unfortunately most of the links were broken after the forum update :(

Thanks! I am considering using it in the game.

However I am still indecisive of whether I want the NASA logo or a KASA logo...

For this page though, I will probably keep the one that is currently in use.

Time will tell.

Edited by MacLeod-Industries

24 minutes ago, MacLeod-Industries said:

I have been thinking about this for a long time. Probably going to use seperatrons to overheat the booster/wing to make it explode...

I haven't looked too much into this however.

Okay scratch that...

Both have pretty decent heat resistant...

Ugh

Well decouples should work then...

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Pioneer missions are HARD...

For one they all failed,

AND I can't find anything on the third stage.

Anyone know some good research websites?

Edited by MacLeod-Industries

2 hours ago, Matuchkin said:

Can you replicate the way Columbia and Challenger were destroyed?

I've done it out of morbid curiosity.  For Challenger, simply overheating isn't enough to fail any serious components, and aero forces in KSP aren't enough to destroy the orbiter like it did IRL even after the boosters fly off.

Columbia, if you drop something off the ET heavy enough to damage the wing, well, it'd break the wing clean off.  At least if you're using the big S wings like I am.  Maybe one of those people using multi-panel wings can do better.

Actually simulating the reentry loss of control is easy.  Again, usually aero forces in KSP are too low to break up the orbiter.  Have had the cargobay and engine compartment "fly" even after the cockpit has exploded from overheating.

Used a solid rocket capped will a full Ore tank aimed at the wing in order to destroy it to simulate the sudden structural failure after several minutes of reentry heating.  Also re-entered from 1800km to just 25km in order to increase re-entry heating.

Maybe try with FAR.

RIP Challenger and Columbia.

Edited by Naito

9 hours ago, MacLeod-Industries said:

The Pioneer missions are HARD...

For one they all failed,

Not all of them failed. I believe the early probes sent to the Moon had issues, but Pioneer 4 finally made a Lunar flyby in March , 1959. In addition to the Lunar Pioneers, there were probes meant to orbit the sun which were listed under the Pioneer Program, 4 out of 5 succeeded and continued to send data back to earth until the late 1990s. Pioneer 10 and Pioneer 11 were the first spacecraft to fly by Jupiter and Saturn, respectively, and the Pioneer Venus project sent an orbiter and several impactors to (oddly enough) Venus.

The biggest problem I found with the Pioneer missions is that there's just not enough small parts and that it's quite the challenge to get the Thors, Redstones and all the other small rockets to look good.

Spoiler

screenshot4.png

screenshot170.png

screenshot177.png

screenshot225.png

All stock.

17 hours ago, MacLeod-Industries said:

Thanks! I am considering using it in the game.

However I am still indecisive of whether I want the NASA logo or a KASA logo...

For this page though, I will probably keep the one that is currently in use.

Time will tell.

No biggy. I had them on my dropbox already. Do with it what you want :-) Not sure about the Challenger and Colombia failures, just feels morbid and wrong. :-(

12 hours ago, pTrevTrevs said:

Not all of them failed. I believe the early probes sent to the Moon had issues, but Pioneer 4 finally made a Lunar flyby in March , 1959. In addition to the Lunar Pioneers, there were probes meant to orbit the sun which were listed under the Pioneer Program, 4 out of 5 succeeded and continued to send data back to earth until the late 1990s. Pioneer 10 and Pioneer 11 were the first spacecraft to fly by Jupiter and Saturn, respectively, and the Pioneer Venus project sent an orbiter and several impactors to (oddly enough) Venus.

I meant the Thor-Able pioneer missions. Obviously 10 and 11 did very well.

"On October 11, 1958, Pioneer 1 became the first spacecraft launched by NASA, the newly formed space agency of the United States The flight was the second and most successful of the three Thor-Able space probes. "

3 hours ago, MacLeod-Industries said:

I meant the Thor-Able pioneer missions. Obviously 10 and 11 did very well.

"On October 11, 1958, Pioneer 1 became the first spacecraft launched by NASA, the newly formed space agency of the United States The flight was the second and most successful of the three Thor-Able space probes. "

Ah, yes, well in that case, they were all embarrassing failures.

On 6/22/2016 at 0:10 AM, MacLeod-Industries said:

BAD NEWS-

I am have hit a roadblock...

I might just really suck at researching, but I can't find any rocket plans for Pioneer 0-2 and Big Joe...

Ugh

If ANYONE can find any link that even helps the littlest that would be great...

http://www.astronautix.com/lvs/thorable.htm here's your rocket for the first 3 pioneer (launches and failures) I don't like Thor rockets though, with my KSP replicas they always seem to fall in between the 1 meter and 2.5 meter parts :(

http://www.astronautix.com/craft/pioer012.htm  not the most interesting probe to shoot at the moon, but it was created by ninjas

Big Joe was similar to Little Joe, but this time they popped the boilerplate mercury capsule on top of an Atlas rocket to prove an ablative heat shield was needed for orbital missions. I assume you have LJ covered already? I'd be happy to do some googling for you.

Edited by WooDzor

5 hours ago, WooDzor said:

http://www.astronautix.com/lvs/thorable.htm here's your rocket for the first 3 pioneer (launches and failures) I don't like Thor rockets though, with my KSP replicas they always seem to fall in between the 1 meter and 2.5 meter parts :(

http://www.astronautix.com/craft/pioer012.htm  not the most interesting probe to shoot at the moon, but it was created by ninjas

Big Joe was similar to Little Joe, but this time they popped the boilerplate mercury capsule on top of an Atlas rocket to prove an ablative heat shield was needed for orbital missions. I assume you have LJ covered already? I'd be happy to do some googling for you.

Little Joe is fine. I was having issues with the Atlas D missile though...

Thank you for the links though, but my main issue is the other stages to the rocket.

atlas 

13 minutes ago, MacLeod-Industries said:

Little Joe is fine. I was having issues with the Atlas D missile though...

Thank you for the links though, but my main issue is the other stages to the rocket.

Atlas D should be pretty straight forward, just the 1.5 stage Atlas rocket is enough to get into orbit (an atlas D was used for the Mercury 9 mission as well)

I'd be a bit worried about the Thor Able, things get really finicky fairly quickly when building these early upper stages and payloads.. lemme look for the boiler plate mercury :-)

http://historicspacecraft.com/ have you heard of this website?

the mission highlight should make your Atlas easier.. 

" The two outboard engines had not separated from the centerline sustainer engine after their fuel was exhausted. The added weight of the booster engines retarded velocity by 3000 ft per second and the capsule separated from the booster 138 seconds too late. T he impact point was 500 miles short.  " :-D http://www-pao.ksc.nasa.gov/history/mercury/bj-1/bj-1.htm

Edited by WooDzor

You may be interested in this website: http://andegraf.com/rockets/us_early.htm.

It has orthographic views of pretty much every rocket you will need to fly, as well as Soviet, European, Japanese, Chinese, and Indian rockets.

Edited by pTrevTrevs
You know, when I spell something correctly, Autocorrect fixes it, but when I spell it wrong, it just sits there and does absolutely nothing...

3 hours ago, pTrevTrevs said:

You may be interested in this website: http://andegraf.com/rockets/us_early.htm.

It has orthographic views of pretty much every rocket you will need to fly, as well as Soviet, European, Japanese, Chinese, and Indian rockets.

OH NOOO WHAT HAVE YOU DONE!!

it's already past bedtime here:'(

23 hours ago, WooDzor said:

OH NOOO WHAT HAVE YOU DONE!!

it's already past bedtime here:'(

XD :sticktongue:

On 6/23/2016 at 1:41 PM, pTrevTrevs said:

Interested?!
You have just saved me hours of work! xD

Thank you!

if this is Modded to these Cancelled NASA programs

1:The NOVA Rockets

2:Gemini Moon Missions

3:Apollo Syle Venus and Mars missions-Eve fly-by and Duna landing

Cheers:D

On 6/15/2016 at 8:25 PM, MacLeod-Industries said:

Honestly the hardest part is MAKING the shuttle...

Then I can just copy and paste it 9999999999 and make a "payload" (Hubble telescope should be fun...)

I already have the Apollo rocket design as I did it in my main save, but I have yet to integrate it.

Why does the WORST spacecraft have to have the MOST launches...

Thanks for the support! I will release pictures of the Explorer rocket (hopefully) this weekend.

Oh and Jeb will not have mercy on me...

I put him in a space prison in solar orbit further out than Eeloo.

He is gonna hate me after he gets out :sticktongue:

LOL already tried that, unfortunately he roundup a comet and rode it to Kerbin like a BAD-ASS he IS

36 minutes ago, Ourworldalpha1 said:

if this is Modded to these Cancelled NASA programs

1:The NOVA Rockets

2:Gemini Moon Missions

3:Apollo Syle Venus and Mars missions-Eve fly-by and Duna landing

Cheers:D

LOL already tried that, unfortunately he roundup a comet and rode it to Kerbin like a BAD-ASS he IS

I was just looking at the NOVA rocket this morning... Nothing compared to my lunar rocket I am making... It lands a freaking rocket on the moon. Because we are drowning in tax money at MacLeod Industries :)

Honestly I am just going to leave it up to the people to decide whether they want major cancelled missions or not...

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.