Those Stupid Airborne Missions

On 6/16/2016 at 4:24 PM, Snark said:

Actually, it's pretty easy-- you just have to be careful with your design, and think small.

I usually don't do a lot of that sort of mission, other than maybe one or two in early career for an infusion of cash and reputation.  However, I've found that it's not too hard to build a small jet + rocket plane that can get pretty much anywhere it needs to.

Make a very small, light plane powered by a couple of Junos, and include a 2-ton tank of LFO with a Terrier.  Emphasis on "small".  You want to keep it as tiny and light as you can:  basically, just a Mk1 cockpit with the 2-tonner and Terrier behind it, a couple of Junos with Mk0 tanks on the sides, and then wings / gear; that's basically it.  If you're going over 5 tons or so, you're too heavy.

The Junos are so fuel-efficient that they can fly you a long distance from KSC with minimal fuel requirement.  When you get to the target site, you're flying at the Junos' operational ceiling, up around 10-12 km, which is high enough that the Terrier gets very close to its vacuum Isp (which is excellent).  So at that point, you just point your nose at the sky and kick the Terrier in the pants.

A Terrier pushing a small plane with 2 tons of propellant packs quite a lot of dV, and can pop your altitude pretty much as high as you like.  (For example, if your total plane mass is 5 tons, a Terrier with 2 tons of propellant will get you over 1700 m/s of dV, plenty enough to get to the top of the atmosphere.)  Loft up to the target altitude, snag the contract, fall back to where the Junos can kick in again; then fly back home.

(Also, moving to Gameplay Questions.)

That's exactly how I do it as well.

And it's fun :)

This my little thing. It's quite fun to use.

cUUxIfV.png

9N8353y.png

It requires very little tech (you can basically make it straight at the beginning of a career mode), less than 30 parts, and it can climb quite high. The main white tank that I've used as fuselage is from KW Rocketry, but the stock one will do just fine as well.

Once I'm entering the checkpoint I activate the rocket engine and simply head straight up. Once I've taken the crew report I simply glide down and eventually use the drag chute if I need to kill excessive velocity. Two parachutes will land it softly on ground.

I plan to improve its design once I'll have to climb higher or bring more science on board. But I think I'll keep the Junos 'cos they're light and have good performances after all.

Edited by carlorizzante

On 18/06/2016 at 2:42 AM, Corona688 said:

One odd thing though:  Do wings automatically have fuel crossfeed these days?  Is there any way to turn that off?  The jets eat up the rocket fuel enroute.

I think this behaviour is an aspect of the jets, "Drains fuel evenly, stage by stage." You can only block them taking fuel by putting a decoupler in the way. (Make sure you don't actually fire that decoupler!)

On 18/06/2016 at 4:08 AM, Raideur Ng said:

The more frustrating airborne missions are measurement below an altitude ON THE OTHER SIDE OF THE PLANET, which means you're either trying to land an ICBM directly on target or you're flying around the god-forsaken globe. These seem to have no easy solution short of a hypersonic jet or SSTO.

Orbital mini-shuttle, that can steer during re-entry and glide reasonably in descent to get to the target. Something along the lines of the X-37B or the Dream Chaser.

Alternatively, if you can make a plane with decent range and aren't struggling for cash flow, then after one survey contract that was near-ish to KSC you just land out and leave the plane there, it might be well placed for another contract in future. Mods for electric propellers help of course, but a jet plane can still cover you for a fair few hops.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.