Mission "Prometheus" real solar system

Rus_1952

Hi people! I'm playing KSP since... well for pretty long time, but it is my first post here in this forum.  Actually most of my time i'm playing with RSS mod. It's because of Macollo. Once i saw video about he's Venus mission, i was so impressed by epicness  of real flights and scales of real planets, so i decided that i must do similar mission. And about half year  after i did it. I landed on Venus and then took off. Unfortunately i was not recording this flight, so now i have only several screenshots about it.

Couple of weeks ago i decided to do another cool thing. While everybody flying to Mars or Moon, i thought that it would be great to get to one of the gas-giant's satellite. Sure most of them - pretty boring pieces of rocks and ice exept Titan. Titan have atmosphere, so it is possible to fly there.  In december 2015 i sent there a probe - small unmanned plane with propeller. Thanks to dense atmosphere and low gravity it was flying very well.

Now i decided to sent there manned mission. I already had a ship, named "Neil Armstrong", equipped with electric propulsion engines and four nuclear reactors. So i only had to build an SSTO for Titan. Unlike atmosphere of Laythe, air on Titan consists only nitrogen and methane, so i could not use normal jet engines. I choosed "Torch" nuclear turbojets for my plane.  I already used them in my mission on Venus. They work very well in dense atmosphere and need no fuel. Also the flight promised to be very long, so i had to load my ship with 200 tons of food, water and oxygen. It should be enough for 13 years of life of four kerbals. Due to very high effectiveness of ion engines, total weight of the ship was only 1000 tons. Unfortunately, ion engines as effective as they are weak, so my TWR during departure burn was very low (approximately 0.07G's) Because of that and because of my navigational mistake, i spent too much deltaV to get to Saturn, so i had to cancel planned landing on Japetus. When i reached Titan's orbit, i saw mechjeb showing that i have only 7,5 km/s of deltaV left. One moment i even thought that i failed my mission, because 7.5 was totally not insufficiently to get back to Earth.  Fortunately when I threw the extra food and fuel for reactors, numbers recovered to the acceptable values.
In general, I want to say that this was the most difficult of all my missions, it cost me a lot of nerve cells and red eyes from lack of sleep. But it was totally worth it.

I made a video of my flight and now i want to share it with you. Actually it is my first ingame-video and it's not perfect, but i hope you'll enjoy it.

Part1

Part 2 

coming soon...

Edited by Rus_1952

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.