[Upcoming] Dark Days Return!

daniel l.

On 6/29/2016 at 7:38 AM, daniel l. said:

Great progress is being made... Anyone interested in the sky being filled with comets? As in the planets having particle trails.

Yeah! That sounds really cool!

NOTE: After this version is done, I will start work on Dark-Days Eternal Black, Which will be far more than just reaching a destination, It will literally be a test of kerbalkind, And i tell you, Its gonna get pretty dark, Such plans include such things as Cannibalism (Meaning you can feed your less important kerbals to your more important ones as food in general is hard to come by) And Vampirism (Meaning you can change your Kerbals into Vampires, Nothing can kill them but light from a star, As long as they have the blood of other Kerbals then they keep on going. Dont ask how the science for this would work but consider it a mix of technology and futuristic medical abilities. If a ship containing a Vampire is destroyed, Then the Vampire will simply reappear in your available crew list)

Also i will make significant changes to the stock resources, Meaning lights will consume far more, Forcing the player to keep them at low levels or off for the majority of time, Also ElectricCharge will be hard to come by, You can only now gain it from the burning of planetary resources since there are no sources of sunlight and all radioactive materials have long since decayed. The destination to reach will be a small red dwarf star with a Mun sized planet, This planet would be quite literally a sister to the mun, No atmosphere, No life, Just rock, Ore, And Ice. Food in Eternal Black will be processable from ice, By injecting algae and then harvesting it once it has grown, Or from processing supplies in the surfaces of the surviving Stock planets (Which had been once settled and now have the long decomposed remains of colonists beneath their surfaces can be processed into food).

Complete with an eerie soundtrack Eternal Black will describe the desperation of Kerbalkind and the things they may do to survive in one way or another, Alterations to themselves, Barbarism, Cannibalism, Looting, Raiding, All sorts of things.

Goals in the gameplay will be:

Spoiler

Achieving a self sustaining colony on the Planet around the Red Dwarf. (Vampires will die in the SOI of the star.)

Or Converting your most important Kerbals into Vampires and maintaining the population of lesser Kerbals as a blood supply.

In the meantime i hope this plan is approved by the community, And i will get back to the Current version as soon as i can.

Edited by daniel l.

• 2 weeks later...
On June 29, 2016 at 0:38 AM, daniel l. said:

Great progress is being made... Anyone interested in the sky being filled with comets? As in the planets having particle trails.

I think only the planets close to the Sun should have particle effects, as to simulate the surface ablating away.

Edited by TheSealBrigade

On 7/15/2016 at 1:46 PM, TheSealBrigade said:

I think only the planets close to the Sun should have particle effects, as to simulate the surface ablating away.

Of course. But the atmospheres of more distant worlds like Laythe and Jool would be dissipating away. Which would make for an epic looking Jool system.

One thing to note is that most planets and moons of the Kerbol system will be unrecognizable, Some will have been destroyed others in significantly different orbits, There will even be a few new celestial bodies, Mostly small moons and large asteroids.

Also to note is that Orbits will be shifted, Moons may become planets, Planets become moons, Some worlds wont exist anymore, Their names wont remotely resemble the stock names, And the surfaces will be unrecognizable, There will even be a few new planets that may have entered the Kerbol system after billions of years adrift in space, Meaning that the player will have no idea what world is actually a stock planet or moon and what is an Alien planet that came from elsewhere because everything will be so different.

I will add a means of identifying planets and moons that came from somewhere else, But the instrument would be pretty far up the Tech Tree.

• 1 month later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.