Z-fighting shadows

1 hour ago, Majorjim said:

Yes. In point of fact I mentioned that earlier in this thread. Lower shadow details lessen the issue but it still remains across all shadow settings. Everyone has this issue. 

In the graphical settings menu there are settings for "render quality", :pixel light count", and "shadow cascades". Your previous post did not make clear which setting you changed and what effect it had on the shadows, and it still doesn't. I have noticed that the render quality setting has drastic effects on the shadows, including making them entirely disappear. I have not messed with the pixel light count or the shadow cascades in the new release, 1.1.3, but I have had issues with these settings in the past. I had serious issue with the shadows on June 17, 2015. I do not recall the version number for KSP at that time. Here is video :

https://vid.me/lxn3

Changing the settings for pixel light count and shadow cascades, along with a video driver update, alleviated the issue. Now, that's not saying that anything can be done for the issues you are seeing now, but in order to make sure there is nothing that can be done, it will require a more detailed bug report, including exactly what the video settings are now, what they are changed to, and how it affects the problem. Just sayin. And, fyi, not everyone is affected by the same issue you are showing. After changing my "render quality" to simple, my shadows are pretty good. Clean as a whistle in fact from most camera angles. There are some lighting situations and camera angles however where the "z-fighting" you have shown do exist in my install, though not to the severity shown in the your first post.

Just now, Otis said:

And, fyi, not everyone is affected by the same issue you are showing.

Yes they are.. At max settings everyone will see it.

I will do some tests tomorrow with those settings you mentioned and report back.

Edited by Majorjim

10 minutes ago, Majorjim said:

Yes they are.. At max settings everyone will see it.

I will do some tests tomorrow with those settings you mentioned and report back.

Well, I guess it's everyone but me. How fortunate I am!

Just now, Otis said:

What are your exact graphic settings? If they are the same as mine you will see it. It's a known Unity 5 bug.

Just now, Otis said:

There are some lighting situations and camera angles however where the "z-fighting" you have shown do exist in my install,

As you see it is a bug that cannot be avoided. Lowering the render quality is no fix, sorry.

On 6/18/2016 at 7:53 AM, Majorjim said:

UPDATE: Here is the state of shadows in KSP unity 5.

My shadow triangles usually slide rapidly like yours, but lately I can't get them to do anything but slide really slowly.

P.S.: It's not Unity 5. Every version of KSP (at least as far back as 0.17) has done this.

Edited by thereaverofdarkness2

13 hours ago, thereaverofdarkness2 said:

P.S.: It's not Unity 5. Every version of KSP (at least as far back as 0.17) has done this.

It was no where near as bad as it is now though.

16 hours ago, Otis said:

Sorry but you maybe just don't notice it. Everyone has it. I just tested every single graphic setting and it is present at all times. The only time you see it less is when shadow cascades are at 0.

If you do not see the shadow bug please include settings and images/video to show that what you say is true otherwise it just seems like trolling. Cheers.

Edited by Majorjim

It was no where near as bad as it is now though.

The only time you see it less is when shadow cascades are at 0.

That might explain something, then. I've always had it as bad as it is now, though the size and speed of the triangles vary. I always assumes turning shadow cascades up would help, but I could never see a distinct enough difference to verify it.

If you do not see the shadow bug please include settings and images/video to show that what you say is true otherwise it just seems like trolling. Cheers.

Some people might not have it based on having different graphics drivers or other operating system details that we can't test without getting new computer components.

18 minutes ago, thereaverofdarkness2 said:

Some people might not have it based on having different graphics drivers or other operating system details that we can't test without getting new computer components.

I highly doubt this. If it's in the game its in the game. I also doubt he will ever show images or better yet video showing that he does not have this.

19 minutes ago, thereaverofdarkness2 said:

That might explain something,

I have always played KSP at higest settings. It was never this bad before U5. It was hardly noticable before.

37 minutes ago, Majorjim said:

I highly doubt this. If it's in the game its in the game. I also doubt he will ever show images or better yet video showing that he does not have this.

I have always played KSP at higest settings. It was never this bad before U5. It was hardly noticable before.

Well there you have it. Your experience is different from mine, and it must be based on something other than our in-game settings. For you, the sliding shadows suddenly became a big thing in Unity 5. For me, it was just as big before that. It has been highly distracting for me in all versions of the game. It has never not been really strong.

Just now, thereaverofdarkness2 said:

Well there you have it. Your experience is different from mine, and it must be based on something other than our in-game settings. For you, the sliding shadows suddenly became a big thing in Unity 5. For me, it was just as big before that. It has been highly distracting for me in all versions of the game. It has never not been really strong.

So we agree that it is there. :) The point is, everyone has this in one form or another and it should be addressed.

1 minute ago, Majorjim said:

So we agree that it is there. :) The point is, everyone has this in one form or another and it should be addressed.

It should be addressed, yes, but apparently not everyone experiences it. If everyone was experiencing it as strongly as you and I are, it would have been fixed a long time ago. I'd be willing to bet, based on how few posts there are about it, that most people don't have the bug at all or it's so minor they wouldn't see it unless it were pointed out to them.

Just now, thereaverofdarkness2 said:

It should be addressed, yes, but apparently not everyone experiences it. If everyone was experiencing it as strongly as you and I are, it would have been fixed a long time ago. I'd be willing to bet, based on how few posts there are about it, that most people don't have the bug at all or it's so minor they wouldn't see it unless it were pointed out to them.

Lots of people posted here saying they just didn't notice it before or thought it was a mod bug or just didn't care.

Well, I also have doubts that even if everyone was experiencing it, and HAS been for several versions of the game, that Squad would have addressed or fixed it... They have a pretty bad track record with fixing or addressing non-game breaking bugs... ESPECIALLY if its only a visual bug...

• 2 weeks later...
On 06/28/2016 at 11:50 PM, Stone Blue said:

Well, I also have doubts that even if everyone was experiencing it, and HAS been for several versions of the game, that Squad would have addressed or fixed it... They have a pretty bad track record with fixing or addressing non-game breaking bugs... ESPECIALLY if its only a visual bug...

Agreed. I see this bug in every online KSP video shot in Unity 5. Kerbal essences unofficial console trailer, shot on PC is a perfect example.

Look at the top of the windows @ 0:20 seconds in and the Kerbals face @ 0:29 seconds in and the windows of the control tower @ 0:35 seconds in. It is everywhere.

It is worse in this version, Unity5 and EVERYONE has it. Anyone that says they don't is either running low shadows that reduces the issue a little or is trolling like our friend Otis above.

It would be nice for this to be acknowledged by a dev as it looks crappy. You know like the game is unfinished.

Edited by Majorjim

39 minutes ago, Majorjim said:

I would be nice for this to be acknowledged by a dev as it looks crappy. You know like the game is unfinished.

Well, if Squad releases the upcoming console versions in the same condition as what we have on PC, and NOT just the shadows, but ALL the other unresolved bugs and sloppy legacy coding still throwing errs & warnings in the logs, then they are in for one HECK of a wake up call when the console gamers get ahold of it...

I've been fiddling with some of the parameters, and made some improvements back for 1.0. Shadows would not only crawl, but flicker horribly. We've already had to change camera cutoff distances to fix some shadow issues, which resulted in all kinds of other issues that needed cleaning up. I find the caterpillar shadows annoying also, but am still digging to find out if this is a Unity issue, or some legacy carry over problem. It also doesn't seem to be tied to the quality level. Shadowing is also the root issue with the weird lines on the VAB at certain angles.

Just now, Claw said:

I've been fiddling with some of the parameters, and made some improvements back for 1.0. Shadows would not only crawl, but flicker horribly. We've already had to change camera cutoff distances to fix some shadow issues, which resulted in all kinds of other issues that needed cleaning up. I find the caterpillar shadows annoying also, but am still digging to find out if this is a Unity issue, or some legacy carry over problem. It also doesn't seem to be tied to the quality level. Shadowing is also the root issue with the weird lines on the VAB at certain angles.

Thank you so much for the reply Claw, it is good to finally get word on this. I noticed @Vaos Human discovered the camera cut off distance had been changed and now we know why! Perhaps it would be possible to change back the camera cut off at a later date as it has some issues like that. Again, thank you for the reply.

its also noticable on the gameplay trailer for consoles.

too often to list al, just check the shadows on the planets:
(i.e 01:14 Minmus | 01:55 Duna)

Spoiler

Edited by Speadge

• 2 months later...
3 hours ago, Dafni said:

This issue is still there for me on 1.2 :(  How about you guys?

And is there a fix now for this terrible eyesore?

thanks

.Daf

(hope this is not considered necro posting)

Not a necro as it is still relevant. Yes it is still there. I don't think it will ever be fixed as it seems to be a Unity issue.. Just try to ignore it for now. ;.;

I've noticed something else that bothers me just as bad and it also looks like Z fighting.

I noticed this primarily on Duna. 

Land a vessel on Duna and position your camera to be a low angle but not so low that you clip into the ground. You may notice that he Terrain is jumping around a little bit. Sometimes the jumping is more noticeable and sometimes it's hardly noticeable at all but it's there and once it's seen it can't be unseen

Here's a video I took of it happening.  this isn't on Duna but this is exactly what it looks like

Edited by Galileo

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.