Z-fighting shadows

Hi all,

It is knows that the move to Unity 5 has caused a bug with the shadows. It is a kind of striping bug that is very noticeable and ugly.

Does anyone know if this is being looked at or if a fix is even possible because I have heard little from the devs on it. And I know it is a minor bug but it would be nice to know its going to be addressed.

Thanks for reading and let me know here if you hear anything about this.

MJ

UPDATE: Here is the state of shadows in KSP unity 5.

Edited by Majorjim

Does it look anything like this?

TankerShade1.png

That's a problem I saw frequently in an older version (0.90, probably?) and couldn't figure out why. It seemed to be completely fixed in 1.0.x; I haven't seen it in 1.1.x yet, but I haven't played 1.1.x much yet either.

11 hours ago, AbacusWizard said:

Does it look anything like this?

No nothing like that mate.. If you load in a craft and look at the shadows, max settings, you will see a kind of rippling effect as the sun moves. It is very noticeable, and others have confirmed it.

2 hours ago, nosirrbro said:

Do you have scatterer?

No, no visual mods of any kind. only editor mods. It is present on a fully stock install too. I think either it is GPU/driver related or everyone has this.

2 minutes ago, Majorjim said:

No nothing like that mate.. If you load in a craft and look at the shadows, max settings, you will see a kind of rippling effect as the sun moves. It is very noticeable, and others have confirmed it.

No, no visual mods of any kind. only editor mods. It is present on a fully stock install too. I think either it is GPU/driver related or everyone has this.

I can do some tests to see if it is driver related, because I have multiple computers, with different drivers settings, etc.

Can you send screenshots of what to look for?

Just now, He_162 said:

I can do some tests to see if it is driver related, because I have multiple computers, with different drivers settings, etc.

I was looking for the one I posted a while back but cannot find it. I will post one tomorrow if possible mate.

Just now, Majorjim said:

I was looking for the one I posted a while back but cannot find it. I will post one tomorrow if possible mate.

I think I found what you were seeing... hold on

1 minute ago, He_162 said:

It's not really something you can see in a screenshot. I too have noticed the strange flag like waving of the shadows. 

Here is a GIF showing the rippling in slower motion, just like 7 screenshots, but it shows that it happens.

http://imgur.com/oKhoXIY

Nevermind.. the subtleness of it in this Install doesn't show in such low resolution.. hmm

I'll see  if I can replicate it in a less subtle way to get it to show, and in a stock install with some simple editor mods.

Edited by He_162

25 minutes ago, He_162 said:

Here is a GIF showing the rippling in slower motion, just like 7 screenshots, but it shows that it happens.

http://imgur.com/oKhoXIY

Nevermind.. the subtleness of it in this Install doesn't show in such low resolution.. hmm

I'll see  if I can replicate it in a less subtle way to get it to show, and in a stock install with some simple editor mods.

It's really noticeable on the Kerbals themselves.  

17 minutes ago, Majorjim said:

Kinda, in the cockpit. I will upload a video tomorrow if possible and show how noticeable it is.

I found it was very random, and only happens in weird conditions, so it's hard to see what is going on.

Just now, He_162 said:

I found it was very random, and only happens in weird conditions, so it's hard to see what is going on.

Look at a kerbals face you will see it. Or line up some Ibeams on a wing surface and you will see it too.

Edited by Majorjim

42 minutes ago, Majorjim said:

Look at a kerbals face you will see it. Or line up some Ibeams on a wing surface and you will see it too.

Ohhh yeah I think I know what you mean, I'll try to get a screenshot if I can

2 hours ago, Majorjim said:

No nothing like that mate.. If you load in a craft and look at the shadows, max settings, you will see a kind of rippling effect as the sun moves.

Eh, I've noticed that in every game which has shadows for as long as I've known to look for it.  Unless you pump shadows up to a ludicrously high res, I don't think it's really avoidable.

6 hours ago, Corona688 said:

Eh, I've noticed that in every game which has shadows for as long as I've known to look for it.  Unless you pump shadows up to a ludicrously high res, I don't think it's really avoidable.

I have not.  It was not present in KSP before the move to unity 5 either.

3 hours ago, swjr-swis said:

Two short videos showing the problem:

I cannot view those.. Do you have a YT account?

Just now, Deddly said:

You're using time warp and the shadow is moving because of the rotation of Kerbin. You say this is slow motion. Can you explain what you mean?

The bug looks like a rippling effect, imagine the shadow at the edges has slices taken out of it. It moves quick even at normal time step.

2 minutes ago, Majorjim said:

The bug looks like a rippling effect, imagine the shadow at the edges has slices taken out of it. It moves quick even at normal time step.

I have seen that in previous versions when changing the settings for shadow detail. I haven't fiddled with those setting in the latest version though. But all I see in @He_162's first .gif is a short timelapse of a moving shadow.

Just now, Deddly said:

I have seen that in previous versions when changing the settings for shadow detail. I haven't fiddled with those setting in the latest version though. But all I see in @He_162's first .gif is a short timelapse of a moving shadow.

Its a low quality gif so its hard to see. Its most noticable in the cockpit. I will upload a YT vid later today to show you what I mean.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.