PQSCity & PQSMod_MapDecalTangent

AlphaMensae

I'm trying to create a config file of alternate launch sites for Kerbin using KSC Switcher, and I'd like to know what exactly these two things--PQSCity & PQSMod_MapDecalTangent--refer to.  I know that they deal with the KSC object, but exactly what role does each component have? I have NathanKell's GitHub page about this, and roughly know that the offsets deal with a vertical adjustment from sea level (latitude and longitude are obvious :)  ), but beyond that, I'm blindly plugging in numbers and seeing what they do. The two types of offsets and coordinates are really puzzling me.

I've managed to get my sites somewhat like that of the stock KSC, but they're still sitting too high, exposing a 2nd steeper downslope from the gentler slope that leads away from the "pad" under the facilities.

If you need it, this is what a launch site parameter section looks like in KSC Switcher (example is the original KSC):

Site
        {
            name = ksc
            displayName = Kerbal Space Center
            description = When Kerbals dream of space their first thought is often of Kerbal Space Center, the de facto home of spaceflight for the peoples of Kerbin.
            PQSCity
            {
                KEYname = KSC
                latitude = -0.0969
                longitude = -74.6002
                repositionRadiusOffset = 43
                repositionToSphereSurface = false
                reorientFinalAngle = 345
                lodvisibleRangeMult = 6
            }
            PQSMod_MapDecalTangent
            {
                radius = 7000
                heightMapDeformity = 0
                absoluteOffset = 64
                absolute = true
                latitude = -0.25
                longitude = -74.6
            }
        }

Thanks for any help!

16 hours ago, NathanKell said:

Thanks, @NathanKell, but I knew about that page, could you please elaborate on a few points?  For instance, what exactly is the "decal"?  Is that the all the KSC facilities or the "pad" that they sit on?  Is PQSCity the whole land area of the KSP?  What role does each offset value have on where each is located?  And what is "pure black" and "pure white"?

Right now I have my varous sites sitting too high, exposing far more of the slope of the "pad" than there is in the stock KSC, and I want to know which values to adjust that brings them down to stock-level.

The decal is the MapDecal. That is the thing that controls the terrain. PQSCity is the thing that does the buildings.

I am not sure what you mean by "which offset value"

Pure black is 0,0,0 in your paint program. Pure white is 255,255,255.

You want to adjust repositionRadiusOffset  - that is the height above sea level to place the object (KSC), as it says. :)

• 2 months later...
On 6/26/2016 at 3:48 PM, NathanKell said:

The decal is the MapDecal. That is the thing that controls the terrain. PQSCity is the thing that does the buildings.

I am not sure what you mean by "which offset value"

Pure black is 0,0,0 in your paint program. Pure white is 255,255,255.

You want to adjust repositionRadiusOffset  - that is the height above sea level to place the object (KSC), as it says. :)

@NathanKell, Is it possible to get the height of the runway (and by extension all of KSC, or PQSCity) of an alternate-location KSC the same height above the surrounding ground as that of the default stock location?  I've been playing around with the numbers, and my alternate KSC sites always sit too high above the ground, with too much of the "pad" that the facilities sit on left exposed.  There seems to be  a certain value for the "repositionRadiusOffset" beyond which there is no effect.  Right now I'm trying to set up a sea-level site (for a seaport/naval base), and I can set PQSCity's offset to -40 and it makes no difference.  Not sure if I'm doing someting wrong or there is some sort of hard-coded limit in KSP.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.