Shuttle not stable on launchpad?

The somewhat clipped and retracted landing gear is most likely the issue; probably the nose gear.

For some reason, a craft spawned with (sometimes even barely) clipped retracted landing gear causes all kinds of phantom forces/collisions that disassemble and/or explode craft on the pad or the runway. But when it spawns with gear extended and one retracts gear manually, it has no issue.

Try saving the craft under a different name, then remove only the landing gear, starting with the nose one, and launch. I'm willing to bet you a like that the gearless craft is then suddenly rock solid.

12 hours ago, swjr-swis said:

The somewhat clipped and retracted landing gear is most likely the issue; probably the nose gear.

For some reason, a craft spawned with (sometimes even barely) clipped retracted landing gear causes all kinds of phantom forces/collisions that disassemble and/or explode craft on the pad or the runway. But when it spawns with gear extended and one retracts gear manually, it has no issue.

Try saving the craft under a different name, then remove only the landing gear, starting with the nose one, and launch. I'm willing to bet you a like that the gearless craft is then suddenly rock solid.

This worked thanks! I extended the landing gear and launched and it worked fine!

8 hours ago, Firemetal said:

This worked thanks! I extended the landing gear and launched and it worked fine!

Happy spacing!

I hope as part of the 1.1.3 fixes, they disable all wheel/collision stuff on gear and legs when they are fully retracted, when they are no longer supposed to function as 'wheels' anymore. Or at least, switch to a simple collision surface representing just the external surface. It makes sense for actual wheels to always work and collide as wheels, but not for gear and legs. It would solve at least this very common problem.

On 6/20/2016 at 6:39 AM, swjr-swis said:

Wait, what?  I'm taking some landing gear along for a contract and can't understand why I can't dock (turning off SAS gives me wild torqueing).  I'll have to try this.  I was almost ready to give up and wait for 1.1.3

26 minutes ago, wumpus said:

Wait, what?  I'm taking some landing gear along for a contract and can't understand why I can't dock (turning off SAS gives me wild torqueing).  I'll have to try this.  I was almost ready to give up and wait for 1.1.3

Would not surprise me at all if extending the gear is all you need to make that phantom torque go away.

The thing is, Squad already has previous experience with this and how to solve it: the Claw had this exact same problem, where even when disarmed, it would still have complex collision issues when even slightly clipped, and cause entire craft to tremble and disassemble/explode. AFAIK they solved it exactly by making it NOT collide anymore when retracted. Rinse and repeat for the landing gear, please.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.