Cannot Create Maneuver Node for Craft on mission - Claw Machine 3

1.  KSP version build id = 01260

2016.04.30 at 12:23:12 CEST
Branch: master
Win7 - 64
running on STEAM

2.  A detailed explanation - My craft Claw Machine 3 is in an intercept mission with Astroid HAY-187.  However, I cannot create any maneuver nodes for this craft.  Also, this craft is perma-locked on the target of astroid HAY-187.  I cannot de-select the target or switch to a different target

3.  A screenshot ofrelevant screens - no%20manuver%20node%20issue.jpg

4.  A .craft file or save files -  https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/91268410/Debug_save.sfs

5.  The ouput_log.txt or player.log - No crash file

6.  A detailed list of system specifications - https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/91268410/Skyranger_DxDiag.txt

7.  Are you running a clean installation, no mods.  Craft all build with game build.

Hmm, I can reproduce the issue loading up your savefile in a clean 1.1.2 install. Clicking on any object in map mode does not give the usual dialog, so it's not possible to target something else. hovering the blue orbit line of the craft does not show the maneuver 'dot' and does not give the create maneuver dialog when clicking. Strangely enough, a dot does appear when hovering over the yellow orbit line of the asteroid, but it doesn't do anything on clicking.

The problem does not seem to be with the craft though, more with the HAY-187 asteroid, or at least only combined with that particular asteroid. I edited the file to deselect the asteroid (in the savefile, search for 'vesselID = abb33873-5558-4ee4-9840-2e8f0afcb605', and delete that and the type line preceding it), and was then able to target anything I wanted and create maneuver nodes as normal, and retarget anything else. But as soon as I target that one asteroid again, the same situation arises.

I didn't find anything weird about the asteroid entry itself in the savefile. Not sure what's going on here.

Btw... you got some serious space debris issues. Please pay your space janitors...? :P

Thanks for the quick reply.

What is my best course of action?  Would it be possible to replace this problem Asteroid object with a different asteroid to allow me to continue the mission?

Or should I just delete the asteroid and head my vehicle back to Kerbin?

Also, I was not aware of my space debris problem.  I guess I must have space debris filtering turned off?  Is there an option I need to select to see this problem?  And is it possible to get these debris objects cleaned up. 

Thanks again, and I'm LOVEing this game even more.

27 minutes ago, SkyRanger said:

What is my best course of action?  Would it be possible to replace this problem Asteroid object with a different asteroid to allow me to continue the mission?

Or should I just delete the asteroid and head my vehicle back to Kerbin?

I couldn't figure out what actually causes the problem, so I don't know what to suggest, other than untarget the asteroid as I mentioned in the previous post, and going into the Alt-F12 menu and cheat/mark the mission as complete. Obviously the game is not going to allow it to be completed the normal way anymore, so you're basically just fixing a bug by doing that.

30 minutes ago, SkyRanger said:

Also, I was not aware of my space debris problem.  I guess I must have space debris filtering turned off?  Is there an option I need to select to see this problem?  And is it possible to get these debris objects cleaned up.

Yes, you have it turned off. From the space center, go into your Tracking Station (the radar dishes). Once there and viewing Kerbin, look at the top: you'll notice a row of icons with numbers. The left-most one is the debris (160+ pieces, all over the system). Click it to turn it on and you'll see.

To remove debris, just click them in the menu at the left side of the screen, then either the red X to 'terminate' (for debris that's floating in space, no funds returned), or the yellow construction icon for 'recover' (for debris landed/splashed down on Kerbin, some funds returned).

Don't know if this will help you and its probably too late but I had a similar problem with a flight on its way to Minmus. After the update I no longer had an encouter and I couldn't create a maneuver (same as you). I found by using my engine to force a new encounter with Minmus allowed  me to plot courses again.

I've experienced this problem extensively in 1.1.2.  can't say for 1.1.3 yet.

Usually, if I change ships, the ship i've switched to can use maneuver nodes, but when i return to the craft i want, I still can't do manuever nodes.

Something that i've tried, is unsetting the target (if yours is minmus), setting a new target, and trying again. Sometimes it works, sometimes not. Other times i'll return to ksc, try loading the ship from the tracking station, or loading another ship first and jumping to the ship. basically try everything up to and including a reset. Its hard to replicate and harder to fix

Other times, I simply can't make a maneuver where i want for some reason, the cursor doesn't change and no option for the manuever appears. However, in these instances I can usually force a maneuver after the apoapsis, or after escape from the SOI.When this is the issue, it helps a lot to have the PresciseNode mod, so you can "dial back" your maneuver and put it where you want. THAT works, instead of assigning the node directly where you want it first.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.