VTOL Dropship

I've seen a few Dropship designs on the forum lately and I thought I would have a go at my own version.

213 Parts. 115 tons. I made a couple of tweaks to the version shown in the video so it now carries 2 pilots and 4 passengers.

You can't see the cockpit door but you can still EVA a Kerbal from it. The Mk1 passenger modules can be EVA'd from the cargo bay.

Hotkeys:

1) Toggle Rear Engines

2) Toggle thrust reversal on Rear Engines

3) Toggle VTOL Engines

4) Toggle Afterburners on VTOL Engines

9) Toggle Roof Doors

0) Toggle Ramp Door

Make sure SAS is on before flight, (unless you like a challenge :)). The ship can hover at 5/6ths throttle. Try not to land vertically harder than 8m/s.

The Dropship handles pretty well and has a lot of fuel, (37 mins hover time and 1 hour horizontal flight time). I'm not sure how much she can lift but you can always use the afterburners if you need some extra power. Yaw is pretty good in this plane in either mode.

Download here > https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B9mK0rPybNaxU0REX1dkX1hSaDQ

Enjoy and share your own Dropships if you like! :cool:

Edited by Redshift OTF

19 minutes ago, War Eagle 1 said:

I watched the video….when you go for horizontal flight it shows 4 engines active but i only see 2.

Look closely. There are four. You can see the clipping-gliches inside the exhaust nozzles.

But other than that, I must say, awesome machine!
It looks sleek for a big boy, no wing-spam (haha) for bodywork, and by the looks of it functional too.
Props to you!

1 hour ago, T-Bouw said:

Look closely. There are four. You can see the clipping-gliches inside the exhaust nozzles.

But other than that, I must say, awesome machine!
It looks sleek for a big boy, no wing-spam (haha) for bodywork, and by the looks of it functional too.
Props to you!

Oh….darn. Thats a bummer

Thanks for the comments! I clipped the engines together to keep the aesthetics but maintain enough power for horizontal flight but I could always put them underneath the wing or something. I'd just need to move the Panther engines to rebalance vertical thrust which is easy enough.

1 hour ago, Redshift OTF said:

Thanks for the comments! I clipped the engines together to keep the aesthetics but maintain enough power for horizontal flight but I could always put them underneath the wing or something. I'd just need to move the Panther engines to rebalance vertical thrust which is easy enough.

Hate to hear that.  Would have loved to use something like this in my military RP group on Facebook but one of the rules is no clipping

4 minutes ago, War Eagle 1 said:

Hate to hear that.  Would have loved to use something like this in my military RP group on Facebook but one of the rules is no clipping

I'm happy to make an adapted version. I'll keep a pair of engines at the back and a pair under the wings.

3 minutes ago, Redshift OTF said:

I'm happy to make an adapted version. I'll keep a pair of engines at the back and a pair under the wings.

Well right now i still have other things i need to consider but I ll be more than happy to try it out if you do so (so long as its stock) 
Im sure my allies would also be curious about it.
Of course all credit for the craft itself would go to you

Thanks very much! I might have to look at building a larger version, maybe one that doesn't rely on mk3 parts as it is currently a bit difficult to fit wheeled vehicles inside with the current implementation of wheel blocking ksp has.

7 hours ago, Redshift OTF said:

Thanks very much! I might have to look at building a larger version, maybe one that doesn't rely on mk3 parts as it is currently a bit difficult to fit wheeled vehicles inside with the current implementation of wheel blocking ksp has.

I like the idea of a wider cargo bay also, and careful with VTOL Craft they are addictive!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.