Any Slipgates? Wormholes?

Core

I have seen the BD ARMORY mod, VESSEL MOVER. It is great for use on ground, but what about there being a mod for generating a wormhole for moving craft from one orbit to another? Something that you could easily transfer a vessel from one place to another. I know, this defeats the purpose of things, but I still think this could be neat.

I was thinking something that was more like something you would have to travel for. A sort of cheat, with rules. Get your craft into orbit, then pass it through the slip gate once the slip gate gets enough charge. Hyper edit would just be too simple to just simply edit something over to Eva.

Kinda like a slipgate for the Strogg in Quake 2.

Edited by Core

10 minutes ago, Core said:

I was thinking something that was more like something you would have to travel for. A sort of cheat, with rules. Get your craft into orbit, then pass it through the slip gate once the slip gate gets enough charge. Hyper edit would just be too simple to just simply edit something over to Eva.

Kinda like a slipgate for the Strogg in Quake 2.

If you can't make it. Fake it.

Build a 'jumpgate' in Kerbin orbit and another one in Duna orbit. Now rendezvous with one of the 'jumpgates' and use hyperedit to jump to the other. Any mod that does what you're looking for does EXACTLY the same thing.
The only difference is that in one instance the mod sets the rules. In the other you have to set the rules.

Edited by Tex_NL

14 minutes ago, Tex_NL said:

If you can't make it. Fake it

Heh. Funny.

Guess I'll have to go with that until someone decides to put hours into something that is already done via Hyper Edit.

You posted this in the wrong forum subsection. This is already implemented in stock KSP:confused:

All you have to do is unleash the almighty kraken.

Downside of this, Kerbals can't control it yet, so you won't be visiting any ships.
Plus side of this you'll go FTL for sure.

Edited by Vaporized Steel

On 6/21/2016 at 7:57 AM, Vaporized Steel said:

Plus side of this you'll go FTL for sure.

Closest thing I got to FTL was when a mod part conflicted with the ground, exploding everything in all directions.

That, and when I used a "GN Drive", but that mod is outdated, I think.

EDIT: GN Drive is not outdated.

Edited by Core
Error

ESLD Jump Beacons may be what you seek.  The beacons are an in-game set of jump gates; there are three different kinds of stationary beacon with different range and tonnage limitations, and one mobile beacon that can jump itself (and the ship attached to it).

It's meant to be in balance with the game mechanics, so it isn't cheap to set up and use the beacons.  The beacons have altitude and gravity requirements (they have to be well out of the gravity well), and they have to be at both ends of the jump (so the destination beacon has to get there the slow way).  They also take a special fuel that can only be found in a few places (however, you can set the config for other options) and they conserve momentum until you unlock some esoteric high-tech gear.

This means that, for example, if you decide to jump from Kerbin to Jool, you'll go there ... and take all of your Kerbin-relative velocity with you.  Thus, you'll need to pack all of the dV of a Jool transfer and use it all at once when you arrive, which usually means that it is less efficient.  If you decide to use the high-tech gear, you will have near-zero relative velocity to Jool, but that will cost a lot more of the special fuel.

It's an interesting mod, and I like it a lot, but it does come with a new set of rules that makes you rethink orbital mechanics on a system-wide scale.  Hohmann transfers minimise relative velocity differences; with ESLD, you have to consider relative planetary motion coupled with the beacons' orbital motion in order to reduce the cost of the jump.  It's very satisfying for me, but it can be frustrating if you're not expecting the magnitude of velocity differences between inner-system and outer-system orbits.

Check out @parameciumkid's Jump Drive mod:

Cool thing about it is that you have to place a gate somewhere in the system first and then you can warp to it.

EDIT: Nevermind, it seems like it doesn't work anymore. But you should leave him some rep anyway.

Edited by Veeltch

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.