[1.12.x] The Maritime Pack v0.1.19

Fengist

On 12/4/2016 at 10:22 AM, adsii1970 said:

Undersea colonies are nearly impossible. You have to keep the rate of descent under 5 m/s AND is impossible to dock with. I've discovered even the most suble docking mishap is more tragic under Kerbin's sea than in space.

EVAs are also impossible...because no matter how deep, Kerbal's will float!

I did some experiments using the Buffalo's Outback backpack holding Lead awhile back, and upon equipping the pack, the kerbal sank to the bottom. I don't recall what happened after that though, I think I had to walk back to the surface because KSP thought the kerbal was walking on land..

• 2 weeks later...

I saw this mod, and became very interested. I love to say the mod is well-crafted, and turns KSP into a Vehicle R/D Center. I have one issue, and I need assistance. How do I build subs? I'm not the sharpest tool in the shed (explains the constant explosions my Kerbals witness), and would enjoy a tutorial, whether it be a video or a text tutorial. Though if this interferes with your mod development, don't bother. 

P.S. 

I know I'm asking for too much now, but a tutorial on the Heisenberg Airship Parts would also be nice. Again, I'm probably asking too much from you developers. 

On 12/11/2016 at 8:45 PM, PDelta41 said:

At long last, I have returned. By way of apology, I offer a Community Tech Tree branch, if you're interested.

6LPgc6S.png

I don't know if Fengist is interested, but I sure as heck am!

Also, I was never able to get custom icons to work in my own additions to the CTT. I am also a crap graphic designer, though.

16 hours ago, theonegalen said:

I don't know if Fengist is interested, but I sure as heck am!

Also, I was never able to get custom icons to work in my own additions to the CTT. I am also a crap graphic designer, though.

Excellent! It is functional at this point, though I do want to tweak a couple of things. I'm okay at graphic design (those icons are about par for the course), but I'm a fair hand at .cfg files. At this point, I'm trying to figure out how to make it available. I suspect that it would be a mod, and as such, would need licence or copyright stuff. Do you manage any content? I could certainly use some help and/or advice, and would be happy to set up your tech tree icons in exchange. 

1 hour ago, PDelta41 said:

Excellent! It is functional at this point, though I do want to tweak a couple of things. I'm okay at graphic design (those icons are about par for the course), but I'm a fair hand at .cfg files. At this point, I'm trying to figure out how to make it available. I suspect that it would be a mod, and as such, would need licence or copyright stuff. Do you manage any content? I could certainly use some help and/or advice, and would be happy to set up your tech tree icons in exchange. 

might be helpful :)

Edited by TheRagingIrishman

• 3 weeks later...

I have a few questions. 

When I launch a "standard" (clipper stern, 2 clipper fuel tanks and a clipper bow) clipper and get it up to speed (approx. 10m/s), the bow starts pitching up and down until the engines come out the water and stop working. I solved this by trimming the vessel slightly astern and ballast it down to the load line. What I want to ask if this is normal behaviour. 

Another thing is that when a rudder is placed behind an engine the rudder starts overheating and all thrust is negated.

Lastly, I'm planning to make a stability computer for KSP. Does anyone know how I could start? I have no prior experience in programming but I know a lot about ships.

7 hours ago, patton446 said:

I have a few questions. 

When I launch a "standard" (clipper stern, 2 clipper fuel tanks and a clipper bow) clipper and get it up to speed (approx. 10m/s), the bow starts pitching up and down until the engines come out the water and stop working. I solved this by trimming the vessel slightly astern and ballast it down to the load line. What I want to ask if this is normal behaviour. 

Another thing is that when a rudder is placed behind an engine the rudder starts overheating and all thrust is negated.

Lastly, I'm planning to make a stability computer for KSP. Does anyone know how I could start? I have no prior experience in programming but I know a lot about ships.

First you don't HAVE to have a rudder

Second for the hacked sas use a open the file for an sas and find something like pitch power and set it really high but not too high, you can set the limit in game

Third put fuel at side that goes out of water, if that doesn't help get a stock item and make it a few tonnes heavy in the file only if the normal ballast doesn't work

Fourthly rudder doesn't work well for me so I use rocket engines assigned to action groups.

Fifthly if the code you struggle with just put @Orion Kerman and I'll give you the code I used for sub pitch yaw and roll. 

Yes this is quite normal for me

Edit: it will have to be tommorow my code

Edited by Orion Kerman

thx for your reply.

I actually solved the pitching problem by trimming the vessel and ballasting her down (moving LCF forward). 

The rudder works fine for me if I don't place it behind the engines, i.e. 2 engines and a single rudder in the middle. Normally ships with 2 engines have 2 rudders so that's why I asked.

As for the stability computer, I think you have no idea what I mean. What I want to make is a plugin which allows me to see the current draft of the vessel, hydrostatic particulars like KM and LCF. this has very little to do with things like SAS or keeping a ship on course. It is more like the FAR screens in the SPH or VAB.

12 hours ago, patton446 said:

thx for your reply.

I actually solved the pitching problem by trimming the vessel and ballasting her down (moving LCF forward). 

The rudder works fine for me if I don't place it behind the engines, i.e. 2 engines and a single rudder in the middle. Normally ships with 2 engines have 2 rudders so that's why I asked.

As for the stability computer, I think you have no idea what I mean. What I want to make is a plugin which allows me to see the current draft of the vessel, hydrostatic particulars like KM and LCF. this has very little to do with things like SAS or keeping a ship on course. It is more like the FAR screens in the SPH or VAB.

Ah I thought you meant sas good luck!!! But trust me do create a custom part for sas for subs if you have no patience. Yeah I was a bit unconcentrated when I replied, however for the programing I do reccomend asking some pros. I will link some good modding people, there is a lot of people you could ask so I'll just link the first few.

@Fengist @SpannerMonkey(smce) @IgorZ.  

These are just a few of the many many great modding people.

@patton446 good look

On Tuesday, January 24, 2017 at 6:15 AM, patton446 said:

I have a few questions. 

You shouldn't need ballast unless they changed buoyancy code again. I'll look into it when I get home (out of town).

All engines in KSP are rockets. Anything behind them blocks thrust and can absorb heat. 

For what you want, C# is the language to learn and Unity is the game engine. You'll need to create a plugin. You'll have a LOT to learn. 

On 1/25/2017 at 3:29 AM, patton446 said:

thx for your reply.

Ok, just did a quick test and don't see much of a problem.  I think what you're seeing is 2 fold.  1. Engines underwater move the center of thrust under the water. This will cause the ship to nose up a bit.  2. I had to come up with some balance to where a ship could both be empty and loaded with gobs of resources and still float.  And empty ship, like in real life, rides high in the water.

As for the stability computer... good luck.  Keep in mind, this is a space game.  The things you want to track and adjust simply don't exist.  Buoyancy is very simplistic in this game compared to what you envision.  To achieve the level of detail you're hoping for, you'd have to kill stock buoyancy (which isn't that hard to do) and then completely rewrite your own buoyancy code (which will be hard to do.)

On 1/25/2017 at 3:29 AM, patton446 said:

thx for your reply.

Ok, just did a quick test and don't see much of a problem.  I think what you're seeing is 2 fold.  1. Engines underwater move the center of thrust under the water. This will cause the ship to nose up a bit.  2. I had to come up with some balance to where a ship could both be empty and loaded with gobs of resources and still float.  And empty ship, like in real life, rides high in the water.

As for the stability computer... good luck.  Keep in mind, this is a space game.  The things you want to track and adjust simply don't exist.  Buoyancy is very simplistic in this game compared to what you envision.  To achieve the level of detail you're hoping for, you'd have to kill stock buoyancy (which isn't that hard to do) and then completely rewrite your own buoyancy code (which will be hard to do.)

Ideas needed

By the way, it would seem the charts have spoken.  Whereas my steampunk mod is averaging 20 or so runs per day, Maritime has increased from 400ish to 1000ish per day.  

So.... tell me what you'd like to see in Maritime and when/if I get time, I'll work on it.

On 30/01/2017 at 8:20 AM, Fengist said:

Ideas needed

By the way, it would seem the charts have spoken.  Whereas my steampunk mod is averaging 20 or so runs per day, Maritime has increased from 400ish to 1000ish per day.  

So.... tell me what you'd like to see in Maritime and when/if I get time, I'll work on it.

I believe I said this before, it is a very time spending things but definitely more boat variations.

I have a few ideas,

1) an axe bow, as commonly seen on Offshore supply vessels

A dedicated roll reduction system facilitates optimal sea keeping behaviour at zero speed.

2) clipper hull variants ie, hollow, flatbed,... (for making things like semi-subs)

3) this might be beyond the scope of the pack but something like a Jack up vessel

4) Moss-Rosenberg tanks

I know this might be asking a lot but the models for all the things except the jack-up seem relatively simple 

• 2 weeks later...

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/a5je4qt2jz0y8i5/AADdjWCldSkeAqs-5TCBalfSa?dl=0

ANDI made a tiny mod... just 2 flags. one is NOAA's flag the other is my NOAA parody flag free to use for anyone. (critique and any suggestions appreciated... especially with the mottos... I'm not very good at wriintg)

well, it's getting bigger

Edited by IRegisteredjust4U

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/1/2017 at 4:35 AM, patton446 said:

I have a few ideas,

1) an axe bow, as commonly seen on Offshore supply vessels

A dedicated roll reduction system facilitates optimal sea keeping behaviour at zero speed.

2) clipper hull variants ie, hollow, flatbed,... (for making things like semi-subs)

3) this might be beyond the scope of the pack but something like a Jack up vessel

4) Moss-Rosenberg tanks

I know this might be asking a lot but the models for all the things except the jack-up seem relatively simple 

Actually This Is A Great Idea But A Long Time In Modeling If You Don't Have Much Time Trying To Code It To Work And More.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/11/2017 at 2:12 AM, SR said:

What happened to the sails you were working on back on page 1 of this thread?

Sails would be a great thing to have in the game.

Well, I was, at one time, kinda waiting on the kerbal weather mod. Supposedly it was going to have weather.  That never materialized.  While I could simulate wind, the following paragraph will explain why I haven't.

For the moment, my mods are in maintenance mode. One of my complaints about KSP has always been, you reach a saturation point.  Once you can get most any ship/part/base/plane to anywhere you want, there's not much to do.  Think about this.  Out of sheer boredom, I once drove around the equator (mostly) of EVE.  I'm kinda at that saturation point. Designing, building, flying, landing... driving... been there done that.  So, that's why I took up modding.  And now that I've created the mods that I have, I realize there's still nothing to do.  At one point I was heavy into building walkers.  But, the new wheels and their inability to stick to the surface axed that enjoyment.  So, until I can find a challenge again in KSP, I'll keep maintaining my mods, I just can't find the excitement any more.

9 hours ago, Fengist said:

But, the new wheels and their inability to stick to the surface axed that enjoyment.

have you tried the Kerbal Foundries mod? Not sure if you were referring to that or the new stock v1.0+ wheel handling

3 hours ago, Drew Kerman said:

have you tried the Kerbal Foundries mod? Not sure if you were referring to that or the new stock v1.0+ whTheel handling

The stock wheels don't stick any more.  And that applies to landing gear which form the feet.  Prior to unity 5, they would grab the surface.  Now, sit a lander on the side of a hill on the Mun and watch it slide to the bottom. 

Edited by Fengist
God I hate these damned forums. You can't even quote someone without it screwing up.

• 2 weeks later...

In regards to the ideas needed. this may be turned down due to things said in the thread in the past but I'd personally like to see a bigger carrier flight deck that can work with/like the catamaran setup. I understand it's not really designed to land things and even a deck that small will be hard to hit but it'd assist with building proper light carriers rather than the drone carriers that you have already. 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.