Yup, it's a common suggestion (see pinned topic at top of forum list):

If you're amenable to using a mod rather than waiting for stock to add what you're looking for ... I highly recommend Outer Planets, it already has almost exactly what you just asked for (along with a bunch more).  :wink:

As I've often said, I personally prefer having more activities* to do on existing planets than adding new planets in general.

*e.g. making sample collection more meaningful, exploring geologically active features

I don't think anything new should be added to the Kerbol system but we should get eventually, Be it as the long ago mentioned DLC, Analogues for the stars in our local group within 9 light years. 

Edited by Spartwo

37 minutes ago, Spartwo said:

I don't think anything new should be added to the Kerbol system but we should get eventually. Be it as the long ago mentioned DLC. Analogues for the stars in our local group within 9 light years. 

And ftl travel, or at least much faster timewarp, and some new propulsion system..

Faster time warp would be good. It could be traversed by experienced players. The nearest star scaled down would be 3.9735e15m away Divided by the roughly 4000m/s velocity required to escape kerbol. 9.93375e+14 seconds/1.655625e+13 minutes/275937500000 hours/11497395833.3 days/31499714.6119 years...oh

Oh dear

But wait. Max timewarp covers roughly one day a second. 31499715 seconds=8750 hours in-game

Still not very good. But...

If we add a higher warp rate of 1 second per year the travel time is a manageable rate of between about 150 and 300 minutes for any of the bodies in the local group.

Just got out of a Physics exam and yet here I am doing similar calculations...

EDIT: There's probably an incorrect calculation in there somewhere.

Edited by Spartwo

4 minutes ago, Spartwo said:

Faster time warp would be good. It could be traversed by experienced players. The nearest star scaled down would be 3.9735e15m away Divided by the roughly 4000m/s velocity required to escape kerbol. 9.93375e+14 seconds/1.655625e+13 minutes/275937500000 hours/11497395833.3 days/31499714.6119 years...oh

Oh dear

But wait. Max timewarp covers roughly one day a second. 31499715 seconds=8750 hours in-game

Still not very good. But...

If we add a higher warp rate of 1 second per year the travel time is a manageable rate of between about 150 and 300 minutes for any of the bodies in the local group.

Just got out of a Physics exam and yet here I am doing similar calculations...

EDIT: There's probably an incorrect calculation in there somewhere.

Moar propulsion systems :D

4 hours ago, Firemetal said:

I believe they are adding two new gas planets in 1.2.

3 hours ago, Panel said:

Where did you hear this? I don't remember anything about it. 

2 hours ago, AlamoVampire said:

Citation most decidedly required.

That's the beauty of 'belief', you don't need to 'prove' anything :D.

But I've seen no evidence of of this either - please share it.

14 hours ago, pandaman said:

That's the beauty of 'belief', you don't need to 'prove' anything :D.

But I've seen no evidence of of this either - please share it.

http://wiki.kerbalspaceprogram.com/wiki/Planned_features Now I didn't read this correctly and it isn't confirmed that they will be in the next few major updates so don't get your hopes up but it does say they might add two more gas planets and Eeloo becomes a moon of gas planet 2 but this isn't confirmed so I  may be wrong!

:D

24 minutes ago, Firemetal said:

http://wiki.kerbalspaceprogram.com/wiki/Planned_features Now I didn't read this correctly and it isn't confirmed that they will be in the next few major updates so don't get your hopes up but it does say they might add two more gas planets and Eeloo becomes a moon of gas planet 2 but this isn't confirmed so I  may be wrong!

Towards the top of the wiki page is the following statement:

This list is not an official road-map for KSP. It is maintained by the community, and has no direct relation to what may or may not be included in the final product.

In other words, the "Planned Features" list is most certainly just based on speculation rather than any official dev statement. And even if a developer "promised" new planets in the past, plans can and will change frequently.

So I wouldn't put much stock in what the wiki has to say regarding new planets.

37 minutes ago, Firemetal said:

:D

Actually, they were "confirmed", but they were supposed to be added- as well as many other features- in 0.19 (a very old alpha version if you didn't know). Unfortunately, they decided to not implement all the features in one huge update and add them in slowly over time. The only lost concept that made it was ore refining, and it was originally much more advanced. Although we know they were a fair bit in development (we have an actual picture of GP2), there has been no word on GP2 and GP3 and they have probably been abandoned by now. I very highly doubt at this point that we'll ever see them in the stock game, which is a bit sad considering they were great ideas. :( Thankfully, there are a TON of mods based off them (I even tried to make my own once, but I can't use Kopernicus very well :P), so many I'm not going to try to list all of them.

• 1 month later...
On ‎6‎/‎20‎/‎2016 at 10:27 PM, The Thyroid Man said:

What planet/moon?(analogous or otherwise) do you want added to the kerbol system? I personally think we should have a Charon anology in orbit around eeloo.

perhaps earth will be a new planet spec:same size a real earth same distance as real earth

My feeling here is that the best play would be to incorporate a planet pack already available as a mature mod, like Outer Planets Mod. Presumably way less development time to generate assets and all that.

The existing planets should be left alone, there is a ton of content out there that is dependant on it like delta-V maps, etc.

5 hours ago, Red Iron Crown said:

My feeling here is that the best play would be to incorporate a planet pack already available as a mature mod, like Outer Planets Mod. Presumably way less development time to generate assets and all that.

The existing planets should be left alone, there is a ton of content out there that is dependant on it like delta-V maps, etc.

It's worked out well for resources and mk2 space plane parts.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.