EVA Suit Lights Malfunctioning ver 1.1.3

I'm having a very strange issue with the EVA lights ever since 1.1.3 hit several hours ago. At first I thought they were outright broken, as the L key was not turning on the lights at all. Yes, I checked if they had been remapped and even assigned a secondary key to it just in case. And yes, my keyboard is working fine. Nothing seemed to work until out of frustration I clicked the L key several times in a row and suddenly they turned on! But the issue ISN'T FIXED! Because after they turn on the L or the secondary key will return to do NOTHING. So again, I press the keys like mad until suddenly it works... that is until it somewhat works or not at all.

It's quite strange, as if the lights themselves where malfunctioning though it's clearly a software issue. This happens with ALL kerbals independent of time spent on space. 

Reviewing the output_log (first time doing it) is challenging, and I'm not quite sure what I'm looking for but maybe this line has something to do with it?

The referenced script on this Behaviour is missing!

(Filename:  Line: 1649)

btw, the issue is even WORSE with mods installed as the keys will work 0% of the times, which means NONE. However my description was reproduced with an unmodded install. 

There really isn't any screenshot that illustrates the problem, as it's merely an issue of the EVA lights not turning on. I guess for the same reason there is no need for a .craft or save file. 

-I'm running version 1.1.3
-Running KSP 32bit from Steam
-I'm using Windows 8.1
-Intel Celeron 2.13GHz
-Intel HD Graphics Card
-4GB RAM
-DirectX 11

-Updated from 1.1.2 through Steam

All and any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks beforehand! 

EDIT: Adding output_log to facilitate this. Please note that at one point I did had mods installed, but at the time of the occurrence mentioned above the install had NO MODS.

link to output_log:

https://mega.nz/#!ZY92CKzb

link with key:

https://mega.nz/#!ZY92CKzb!Ij2jM3NSmZUCjPJbXeXT5McJQ0iayKbR1h6Qe8m259M

Edited by Zwieg88

Confirmed, but maybe not to your extent. Win7 Pro 64bit. AMD 3.5GHz 6 core.

I'm losing one L keystroke out of three, maybe. So I don't really have to spam the key, but on rare occasions I have to hit it 4 times to get it to work.

Ah! Glad to know I'm not the only one then, though not much cause it's also affecting other people's games :c 

I wonder though, how general is this issue? Mine is waaay worse as I mentioned I have to keep pressing repeatedly just to get results and sometime none at all :/ It's a good thing I decided to set up directional lights around my space station otherwise it would be HELL to be able to work on it only during daytime. Hopefully this issue will get patched soon, as long as more people are having it that is..

I can't read your log file, because it says I need a decryption key...

Nothing has really changed with that key. Was it an issue in 1.1.2 or earlier? Also, do you have this issue with any other commands (such as brakes)? 

7 hours ago, Claw said:

Was it an issue in 1.1.2 or earlier?

No. This is definitely a new issue with 1.1.3.

7 hours ago, Claw said:

Also, do you have this issue with any other commands (such as brakes)? 

Not for me -- the B key temporarily lights the brakes icon with 100% reliability. The G key toggles the landing gear with 100% reliability.

On a rocket ship, the L key performs RCS translation with 100% reliability. And perhaps that is the problem? That the L key is mapped twice, and some proportion of the time, for a Kerbonaut on EVA, the L key is getting routed to the wrong handler funtion now?

13 hours ago, Claw said:

I can't read your log file, because it says I need a decryption key...

Nothing has really changed with that key. Was it an issue in 1.1.2 or earlier? Also, do you have this issue with any other commands (such as brakes)? 

Whoops, sorry! I'm not used to uploading in mega :P This link should work now I hope: 

output_log
https://mega.nz/#!ZY92CKzb!Ij2jM3NSmZUCjPJbXeXT5McJQ0iayKbR1h6Qe8m259M

(red line is the dl key)

It wasn't an issue at all during 1.1.2

No other issue with any other command detected so far. B and G work fine as well as L for translation. However it's interesting what bewer says about it being mapped twice and getting routed to the wrong handler. I'll experiment with this when I get home. 

6 hours ago, Speadge said:

did u try changing the keymapping?

i.e. map U for EVA lights and try to reproduce the error?

Indeed, it was practically the first thing I did, even setting the U key as both primary and secondary key but still to no success :C 

Edited by Zwieg88

Mapping EVA lights to the otherwise-unused 'O' did not help.

For me (with a graphics card that suffers "ocean lag") the complexity of the scene makes a big difference.  In the scenario "EVA in Kerbin orbit" with camera panned to show the planet the EVA lights respond less than 30% of the time; when I pan to show the sky they respond >80% of the time.    Running KSP in a smaller window (1024×768 on my 1920×1080 screen) makes the lights respond >80% of the time.  Even F2 to remove the UI increased the rate of success.

So I zoom in and look toward they sky to simplify the scene before toggling EVA lights ... and F5 before any EVA in case I get stuck outside... well, really I just go back to 1.1.2 with Claw's Stock Patch-set.

One suspect from the changelog is

* Added "EVA" layer, added it to various cameras, physics casts, lights, and collision matrices to behave exactly like normal parts, except suspension raycasts ignore it entirely. Prevents violent interactions when kerbals touch wheels.

I can confirm this.

Just switched my career save over to 1.1.3 and it takes multiple key presses to activate the lights on EVA.

In one particularly bad incident I was completely unable to get the lights to work no matter how long I sat there and pressed the button. Never had this problem before in any version of KSP.

Thanks for the report. We'll look into it. :)

19 hours ago, OHara said:

One suspect from the changelog is

This changelog entry is unrelated to the issue at hand. It simply means the layer for handling the objects, which doesn't tie in to the input scheme. That being said, strange things sometimes happen.

55 minutes ago, Claw said:

Thanks for the report. We'll look into it. :)

This changelog entry is unrelated to the issue at hand. It simply means the layer for handling the objects, which doesn't tie in to the input scheme. That being said, strange things sometimes happen.

Thanks! 

I'll leave it to the experts for now then :P I know I can only get better at reading the log the more I encounter these issues and read it. Thanks again!  

I can confirm this.

Just switched my career save over to 1.1.3 and it takes multiple key presses to activate the lights on EVA.

In one particularly bad incident I was completely unable to get the lights to work no matter how long I sat there and pressed the button. Never had this problem before in any version of KSP.

Exactly my problem. Most of the time I can't get them to work at all, not even once. So far I have resigned on using them and have to rely on the other advantages (ship lights or sunlight) to work during EVA. 

Edited by Zwieg88

9 hours ago, Zwieg88 said:

Exactly my problem. Most of the time I can't get them to work at all, not even once. So far I have resigned on using them and have to rely on the other advantages (ship lights or sunlight) to work during EVA. 

Out of curiosity, what mods do you use?

I only have KER and WASD editor camera installed.

I haven't had a chance to test for this bug in a stock game yet, perhaps it's a mod related problem.

On 6/24/2016 at 2:41 AM, OHara said:

For me (with a graphics card that suffers "ocean lag") the complexity of the scene makes a big difference.

Same here, I noticed it gets worse the more complex the scene.

I can't get EVA lights to work at all near my space station, which is several hundred parts and lags my game like crazy.

2 hours ago, Rocket In My Pocket said:

Out of curiosity, what mods do you use?

I only have KER and WASD editor camera installed.

I haven't had a chance to test for this bug in a stock game yet, perhaps it's a mod related problem.

We are testing it in pure stock. :)

I know this is an issue that was mentioned but can not seem to find a straight answer to why it is not working.  Why is the light on the helmet not working when you press the "L" key or any other issued to that command?  I have heard that Windows 7 could be one reason and if so is there a fix for that?  Could it be a graphic card issue?  Any info would be helpful for this problem.  Thank you in advance.

~Kirkmyster

From what I know it must be related to the frame rate for some reason.

Basically the game isn't picking up when you've pressed the "L" key, and it often requires several button presses to make it happen.

It get's worse in more complicated, busy scenes, when more parts are loaded. I have no problem with the EVA lights when standing next to a command pod at the KSC, but near my several hundred part space station I can press the key for hours and it will never work.

I thank you for the reply.  Not being a programmer I can see that happen.  So far everything else seems to work. Just not the light.  I think I tried that too being at the KSC and noticed that.  When I am in an orbit around Kerbin or even when I landed on the Mun it was worse.  Well thanks again for the information. 

~Kirkmyster

After I've updated to 1.1.3, I noticed I'm no longer able to toggle the headlights on my Kerbals' helmets.

I've checked my settings, toggling light is still bound to the original key (L) but pressing it now does nothing.

So I'm left with a Kerbal on Mun who had his headlights permanently on, and other Kerbals who can't use them at all. 

Anyone faces similar problem? 

2 min searching

EDIT: someone moderated my answer from anothr thread into THIS one - not best way to handle a merge - i did NOT take two minutes to find and link a thread i am posting in :D
Edit 2: and this is just the BEST ANSWER to the other thread, not actual THIS ONE.

Edited by Speadge

I see the problem here, thanks for pointing it out! It should still work, but might be worse for some folks than for others. I'll see about adding a fix to my stock bug fix pack.

One more with the same issue.  Kerbal EVA Headlamps won't work at all.

EVA from my crewed Mun Lander to Mun Station (which landed uncrewed and unlit) was hell on the dark side.  After wandering around for a half hour in a search pattern hunting the green battery indicators, I found that it was easier to set Mun Station as Target and simply fling Kerbals at the Target marker using their jetpacks.  They arrived in a most undignified manor, bouncing and tumbling until they slammed into the Station's bulk face first.

My understanding of the nature of the issue is that yes, it's tied to framerate:

• Really high framerate = the problem never (or almost never) happens, EVA lights seem to work just fine.
  • Really low framerate = the problem is complete, EVA lights appear to be completely nonfunctional no matter how many times you press the L key.
  • Intermediate framerate = the problem is intermittent, e.g. it succeeds 1 time out of N tries

It's not tied to any mod, it's in the stock game, so we'll just have to wait until Squad releases a fix for it.  In the meantime, it's good to hear that Claw's providing a band-aid fix in his mod.  Yay Claw!  :)

47 minutes ago, Snark said:

My understanding of the nature of the issue is that yes, it's tied to framerate:

• Really high framerate = the problem never (or almost never) happens, EVA lights seem to work just fine.
  • Really low framerate = the problem is complete, EVA lights appear to be completely nonfunctional no matter how many times you press the L key.
  • Intermediate framerate = the problem is intermittent, e.g. it succeeds 1 time out of N tries

It's not tied to any mod, it's in the stock game, so we'll just have to wait until Squad releases a fix for it.  In the meantime, it's good to hear that Claw's providing a band-aid fix in his mod.  Yay Claw!  :)

guess its more the "ticks" of the engine than the frames u see that matter - guessing!

a prove would be to adjust physical delta just when it happens and check if the problem is still there / happens as often as before

> as claw pointed out months back: High delta means less fps, but more "ticks".. hope i didnt twist it :D

1 hour ago, Speadge said:

guess its more the "ticks" of the engine than the frames u see that matter - guessing!

a prove would be to adjust physical delta just when it happens and check if the problem is still there / happens as often as before

> as claw pointed out months back: High delta means less fps, but more "ticks".. hope i didnt twist it :D

You may be right.  But it's still generally true that "things run fast = no problem, things run slow = big problem".

I played 1.1.3 happily for weeks without any clue that there's any problem at all... because I mostly tend to fly low-part-count vessels, I don't often go in for big stations and such.  Then I finally got around to my big Jool mission with around 450 parts on the vessel (which is a lot, for me) ... and the EVA lights simply don't work at all.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.