[WIP LEARNING][0.30] Soyuz and learning 3DS

I just had to pop back in and express how impressed I am with your progress. 2 weeks ago you had just learnt how to make some basics shapes that had some resemblance to Soyuz in whatever 3D-modeling program you are using. Now, you have actual working parts in the game that looks very good. I am also rather impressed by how quick you picked up on texturing, as that is usually the part people struggle with in the beginning.

Keep up the great work! This is looking very promising. I'll be sure to keep up to date on your progress.

@liquidhype Now I just sat back in my chair for a couple of seconds there ! That's incredibly nice of you !  ( Be professional dang it Royal XD ) The simple answer is that I'm stuck in this chair from the moment I wake up until I fall to bed . It's basically the only thing I do in a day for 2 weeks straight . The texturing ain't the part I struggle the most, it's actually the config files. I just copy one from a stock part and modify it from there. I got a " Go in the VAB, check the nodes and the menu on the part picker, exit the VAB, Tab out of KSP, edit the config file, Tab back in KSP, Alt+F12 menu to reload the parts, enter the VAB and check, rinse-and repeat" technique that is an absolute pain. Appart from that , the rest of the workflow is pretty easy. 3DS, then Photoshop, then Unity, then In-game and config tweak, then enjoy ! I've learned tons on texturing by hand in Photoshop by just watching @RoverDude on his streams , as he explains his thoughts process as he textures . With the mouse it's tricky and I've learn that if I'm not happy with something, scrap it. I did apply that philosophy on the heatshield texture, I hated it and spent about 4 hours on it for nothing. When I scrapped it and had a vision of how I wanted it to look like, I got it done in like an hour XD.

Again thanks for those very kind words and I hope you'll stay tuned for the rest of it ! There's a lot more parts adding to the whole thing now and it's fun to see the scope getting bigger every time I got the " Idea Click " in my mind :wink:   

Edited by RoyalVengeance

see, I like the config stuff, because that's the only thing I know how to do. Check out NodeHelper below, which might help some. DebugStuff is also useful, for me anyway. With NodeHelper, you can adjust nodes in the editor and print them out or copy and paste them, create new nodes, resize them, reorient them. Just rail through them. It's...nice.:D Debug stuff is nice for showing you, ingame, colliders, transforms, and such. I don't know my way around Unity/Blender so that's really my only way to get at that info. But with those two tools and some practice you can really tear into a config.

It helps if you assemble a library of useful tidbits - SQUAD modules are good. I'd recommend USI configs as another place to look, as RoverDude knows his way around the inner workings of modules like nobody's business (he wrote a number of stock modules as I understand it). If you have any questions about configs, I can probably, at the very least, point you in the direction of a good example.

When in doubt though, stick close to stock values. I've tried a few times to "game the system" without really know what stuff did and it turned out poorly.:)

Updated ! The two decouplers are DONE ! Those weren't too hard to make, since I could use the same texture file for both ! I'm beginning the work on the Service Module now, I'm still debating building it modular or not. I'll be the only one to use it XD. But the skirt will surely be and adapter between Mk 1.5 and Mk 2. The engine mounts will be a Spark size. Looking at references , it seems right. Stay tuned ! 

Getting frustrated by the engine mount / adapter plate of the service module. The scale is off and it's driving me insane , also , thanks Unity for not using the same Axis as 99% of every 3D modelling softwares out there. Makes a lot of gizmo tweaking really fun , thanks. 

I don't know how to do hollow objects . It just doesn't work no matter what the heck I do. I did export a flipped normals model to try to trick Unity . But for now the idea of a service bay, a hollow tube or anything like that just don't work . So my " Hole" to cover the engine won't work at all. Not only it doesn't connect to the node because it's inside the darn collider , it's firing at the collider so you don't have any thrust . I'm giving up on the idea for now ( Read : Pretty upsetted )

Edited by RoyalVengeance

FIXED IT ! I gutted the model in 4 parts, then did some black wizardry with them and voilà ! IT WORKS. I can now fit either a Terrier or a spark inside the cone and it fit perfectly between the Soyuz service Module and the Rockomax Decoupler. Mission accomplished. I'll do some testing to make sure it work then I'll update the thread ! 

Edited by RoyalVengeance

Updated again ! The whole Orbiter is DONE ! I now have my very own Soyuz Descent Module, Orbital Module, Decouplers, Service Modules and an adapter plate ! Quite a nice little feat I dare say ( Pat on the back XD ). I'll have many hours of joy with this little thing I made. The dream is now true ! ( Professional Royal, geez ) But it's far from over now. I still need the launcher, the Gemini capsule , maybe some parachutes for the Soyuz, more tanks and who the heck knows what else ! Thanks to @liquidhype for the support and kind words, also thanks to @cxg2827 for his link to vanquish the adapter, @Deimos Rast and @Redneck for their time and advice ! I'll begin work on the Launcher after a few hours of playing with the Soyuz Orbiter ! Stay tuned :wink:

Grats mate - pictures? Oh, are you updating the OP with progress reports? Clever.

I looked through all the pictures, and you are just killing it. I'm most impressed with the rate of your progress.

That Orb Pod looks solid - probably my favorite piece.

If you're looking for another streamer to watch, check out @CobaltWolf of BDB fame or @akron of Coatl Aerospace fame. I'm sure you already know of @Beale (not sure if he streams) who does Tantares and has some great tutorials, but you might be beyond that already, at this rate.

Cheers.

8 hours ago, Deimos Rast said:

If you're looking for another streamer to watch, check out @CobaltWolf of BDB fame or @akron of Coatl Aerospace fame. I'm sure you already know of @Beale (not sure if he streams) who does Tantares and has some great tutorials, but you might be beyond that already, at this rate.

>>BDB fame
lol

We get drunk and talk about rockets while I work its fun.

Also, @RoyalVengeance the Unity gizmo orientation is based on Maya, which is the industry standard for Animation and Game Art. More broadly, back in the 90s/early 2000s everyone just kinda did their own thing because there was no standard, and since then all those programs haven't changed, since, well, their users would be upset if they changed too much. That's why ZBrush has the most apocalypticly bad UI/control scheme I've ever seen.

I believe you might be able to set the gizmos in 3DS Max to have the same orientation as in Unity, without changing anything else.

11 hours ago, Deimos Rast said:

Grats mate - pictures? Oh, are you updating the OP with progress reports? Clever.

I looked through all the pictures, and you are just killing it. I'm most impressed with the rate of your progress.

That Orb Pod looks solid - probably my favorite piece.

Cheers.

Thanks a lot ! I'm also really proud of the Orb Pod :wink: I do know about Beagle , he's quite the teacher. I'll make sure to check out these streamers as well ! Thanks ! 

3 hours ago, Redneck said:

@RoyalVengeance Ill have to agree with @Deimos Rast.. You made that look really easy. Nice work

It looks easy because I don't show the 4-5 models I ditch because they don't look right or the 7-8 photoshop textures I erase because I don't like them XD. It's a steep learning curves , but practice will make this more intuitive on the long run.

2 hours ago, CobaltWolf said:

>>BDB fame
lol

We get drunk and talk about rockets while I work its fun.

Also, @RoyalVengeance the Unity gizmo orientation is based on Maya, which is the industry standard for Animation and Game Art. More broadly, back in the 90s/early 2000s everyone just kinda did their own thing because there was no standard, and since then all those programs haven't changed, since, well, their users would be upset if they changed too much. That's why ZBrush has the most apocalypticly bad UI/control scheme I've ever seen.

I believe you might be able to set the gizmos in 3DS Max to have the same orientation as in Unity, without changing anything else.

Really good to know ! I'll make sure to check your stream ;). And yes Zbrush's UI is abysmal XD

• 3 weeks later...

So, my stupidly overvolted FX-8350 finally gave up.

It overheated above 80C numerous times and the lid on it is wrapped from the heat or a bad install of the cooler.

1.4975V is far from the max rated voltage of this chip ( 1.52V ? Not sure ) but I'm a lucky guy so my heatsink might have been not properly put in place for several months, that might be an explanation for that.

I can game without issues but if it's under heavy load for a few minutes it heats up like mad, even with stock voltage and stock clock and re-installed Noctua cooler. I think it's just toasted now. 

I'll be on hiatus until I replace it with an Intel. I don't have anything against AMD but the current Intel line-up is interesting. 

I can't render / capture / stream or do anything CPU heavy until I get it replaced. 

I won't wait for Zen nor current AMD's offering is appealing now. 

I'll pick up a standard 4-core without OC ability , since I just proved I can't do it without toasting it XD. Or I might just go with a X99 platform if I can afford it. 

Thanks for your support and I'll pile up some cash to repair my mistakes. 

ooooh, brutal luck.

Think of this as a necessary investment and a part of the process on the road to recovery:)

Just don't go MIA too long...from personal experience, having a sense of purpose during trying times does wonders. Obviously you can get that else where, but you were making good progress and it was fun to watch you learn and see things evolve.

Keep in touch.

Did a lot of tests with a old FX-4300 I have lying here . Turns out my 2 front Corsair AF140 fans are horrible in the closed front of my 750D. They died . They can't go above 600 RPM and are whining like hell above that point. So these are getting replaced today with 2 Noctuas A14 FLX. Also installed Speedfan and is properly configured so all fans are off under 40C and slowly ramp up as temps rises and messages with alarm sounds will show up in a  CPU/Mosfets/mainboard/GPUs overheating event. Thermal paste has been changed for both CPU and GPUs ( PITA but hey ). Sleeves on the GPUs fans were re-lubed with proper lubricant. I'm taking no chances from now on. I can't afford another slip-up like this one. 

Rendering on this thing is abysmal, so is modelling .As soon as I get another 8350 or switch , I'll keep on grinding my brake.

Also for anyone using Shadowplay , turn it off when not in use. I had an idle temp of 63C on both 780Ti for no reason. With it off it's back down to 34C.

I always wait to get kicked in the balls before checking my stuff as I did with my RAID 0 when it died. Keep your temps in check and please backup your stuff correctly guys XD.

As the Glorious PC Master Race would say : May your temps be low and your frame rate high ! 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.