Rock Collecting

Some data  

96 members have voted

1. 1. Have you seen the new magic boulder(s) yet?

2. 2. What color was the magic boulder(s)?

• Pink
    • Orange
    • Cyan
    • Other- please post below so I can add it here
    • ...What are you talking about? I haven't seen it at all!
    • Purple
    • Green
    • Sea-Green
    • "Jool-green"- very vibrant green
    • Beige-ish

@ProtoJeb21, I have updated the OP! It certainly needed a lot of updating... :P

@Just Jim, I added yours to the OP as well. Also, decided to finally read through Emiko Station, it took a while but it was worth it, I like it! I guess that makes you "first to use new magic boulder in KSP fanfic", may as well add that to the OP as well.

I also made the pictures a bit bigger.

Edited by ThatGuyWithALongUsername

After chasing a ton of asteroids around Dres with no hyperedit, what I have found:

1. Asteroids and 1.1.3 are kinda boring after you spend 3 days chasing rocks around in orbit. 
  2. I think the chance of a magic boulder is about 1/25. 

I found a Green and a Pink if anybody is wondering. Not quite sure what size because I didn't claw them, but just flew by them at 30 m/s or so. Still going to stay in 1.1.0 for my mission reports though. Sorry guys.

8 minutes ago, max_creative said:

After chasing a ton of asteroids around Dres with no hyperedit, what I have found:

1. Asteroids and 1.1.3 are kinda boring after you spend 3 days chasing rocks around in orbit. 
  2. I think the chance of a magic boulder is about 1/25. 

I found a Green and a Pink if anybody is wondering. Not quite sure what size because I didn't claw them, but just flew by them at 30 m/s or so. Still going to stay in 1.1.0 for my mission reports though. Sorry guys.

Yeah, I'm coming up with about the same ratio: 1/25 or so. 

And now that I have the two I wanted for my story, I also think I'm done hunting for a while.

I have the pictures of Barney and Purple Dude, along with 2 other Magic Boulders.

BarneyA more indigo than purple B-Class asteroid.

iQFBEon.png

Purple DudeHey, it's actually purple this time! Purple Dude is also a B or C asteroid.

J3MMukX.png

Now for the new Magic Boulders:

The Big PinkA pink/red/strawberry Magic Boulder, and one of the largest I've found.

y67pPn1.png

Space FigA large orange Magic Boulder, whose designation started with "FIG".

ew1O3jY.png

@ThatGuyWithALongUsername would Barney and The Big Pink count as having new color pallets? I haven't seen anyone post anything about an indigo or strawberry Magic Boulder before.

Edited by ProtoJeb21
Space Fig isn't beige :(

I did more math (as usual) and found what may be the most accurate spawning rate for magic boulders.

What I did was find the percentage values of the six given fractional magic boulder rates: 4.5%, 3.45%, 5.0%, 4.762%, 4.0%, and 4.0%. Next I added them all up to get 25.712, before dividing that by 6. The result? A percentage rate of 4.2853%. I would like to do this again once there are 10 users who have presented their factional magic boulder encounter rates.

Long ago:

On 6/24/2016 at 5:09 PM, Astrofox said:

Maybe Rendezvous all of them and make a massive asteroid belt (like in the movies) just to see them glow silently high above the surface of Kerbin...

Gracefully arcing across the sky in a rainbow of color...

Now, I present to you: A tale of Two Space Potatoes

So, I know they aren't Magic Boulders, but this was too much fun to not upload and share.

32 minutes ago, Astrofox said:

EDIT/BREAKING NEWS!

Um, my 'Purple' Magic boulder looks more Magenta when I compare it to both the Purple and Pink Magic Boulders!

Does this mean that I've found a new specimen?

Is it comparable to my Boulder named Barney? If the colors are the same, then it is the second of a new color type. If not, maybe a new shade of purple?

On ‎6‎/‎24‎/‎2016 at 6:53 AM, Arsonide said:

One of your Input Locks is stuck. Hit Alt-F12, and you will see a button that says something along the lines of "Show Input Lock Stack". Click that, and there should be a button that says something like "Clear" or "Clear Stack" or something. Click that, and you will have control back again.

Just tried it... Worked! Thanks!

During this mission I have collected eleven asteroids around Dres.

The new boulder texture looks interesting.  The reddish tint on this rock caught my attention.

uOcHKKK.gif

Also found a glitch with this rock. 

xecyvi0.gif

The asteroid looked small for a class C and when trying to grapple the vessel passed through it as if on time warp.  The asteroid fixed itself when I reloaded.

3ggQx02.png

Happy Belated Asteroid Day!

• 7 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Okay, if this is starting again, I have found two: One Cyan, one Orange.

You know how some people try for hours with Hyperedit to get these? I feel slightly guilty. I have visited four (!) asteroids in the same mission, the only four I have visited since the boulders were added. And my success rate is 50%...

• 4 months later...
On 6/24/2016 at 7:53 AM, Arsonide said:

This is not what the community usually refers to as a "kraken". Krakens are physics related issues with vessels usually. What you have here is usually caused by an error during the initialization of the space center scene, usually resulting from a mod. There is a simple way to fix it though, in game.

One of your Input Locks is stuck. Hit Alt-F12, and you will see a button that says something along the lines of "Show Input Lock Stack". Click that, and there should be a button that says something like "Clear" or "Clear Stack" or something. Click that, and you will have control back again.

Holy crapoli.  I come up this wonderful solution (I hope) to my EVA bug in a weird thread about asteroids.  Thanks!

Details:  When using the 7 seat Near future command pod, often when I go on EVA, the Keyboard is completely locked up (Haven't tried alt-f12 yet though), so hopefully this will fix it. 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.