Joystick Issues in 1.1.3

Hello, 

Since I received the 1.1.3 patch I have been unable to use my flight stick. I cannot set the axis bindings. When I click on "throttle axis" etc to set a binding nothing comes up. This is for all axis of any mode (flight, vehicle, etc). I can assign actions to joystick buttons, just not assign axis since no set dialogue appears. 

I have a Saitek x52 Pro.  I had previously been using this joystick with a KSP mod called "advance fly by wire" that eliminated the large of amounts of lag with the joystick that this game has (its a known issue with this game).  Since the mod now fails to load after the patch (super bummed about that), I went to set the stock game controls in hopes that the lag would be remove, and discovered this issue. I have removed the mod but the issue still persists. 

The only errors I saw in the log file that were controller related was this about steam controller (which I'm not using, I don't own one).

[ERR 20:22:38.110] <color=orange><b>[KSPSteamController]:</b> Failed to initalize Steam API!</color>

Thanks

On 24/06/2016 at 2:29 AM, Waste55 said:

"that eliminated the large of amounts of lag with the joystick that this game has (its a known issue with this game)."

This is news to me, unless your PC is slow.

If your bind axis dialogue is not appearing then something is broken, possibly it is being dismissed immediately so you can't see it, and to diagnose this any further we will need your logs and system information, please see this thread for details.

Thanks for the replying!

Here was the old bug report for the input delay issue:

http://bugs.kerbalspaceprogram.com/issues/762#change-21311

The good news is I got around the dialog issue with a reinstall. And since then I am able to bind the axis. Additionally, the input lag appears to be resolved as well! This is without the use of a mod (the mod was great though, as you could change bindings without going back to main menu).  

I still can't assign some stuff to the additional 4 way hats for translation controls, but I can probably resolve that using the driver utilities and assign those to keyboard strokes. 

How many buttons does your stick have? There's a hard limit in the Unity engine of 20 buttons that can't be bypassed, but in practice it can be lower from stick to stick.

Some sticks just don't work, I don't know why, of my controllers I have one that just doesn't work which is a shame as it's a set of CH pedals, and they'd be great in KSP.

Basically, the stick needs to work with Microsofts Xinput on Windows, if it doesn't, well you can guess.

On OSX and Linux Unity uses rawinput, and there's no way to choose.

Supposedly as long as Unity detects the stick it should work, the sticks name is used by Squad to remember axis/button bindings per controller.

Also note that hat switches are usually axis, not buttons, so don't forget to calibrate the hat as well, and use it as an axis, not a button.

Greetings Earthlings.:D

This is an interesting thread.

Please forgive me, because I can't remember the version number before v1.1.3.1289  ...I have been receiving all the updates though so it was the one before this. 

My XBox 360 controller was working fine, although I did have fun trying what stick or button was best to assign with what. (That's just me.) However...

With update v1.1.3.1289 I had to re-assign my controls and that is when I found that KSP totally ignores both of my Thumb sticks L/R ... Triggers L/R... and the 'Point of view hat' (That's what Windows calls it.)

Every other button, that is a button, works fine... A, B, X, Y, Start, Back, Shoulder Buttons L/R ... and the L/R Thumb Stick Buttons (Push the thumb sticks down.)

I use my controller on other games and have no problems and also in the windows config all buttons and sticks are working.

I am not using an kind of mods with KSP nor do I have any fancy programs for my controller.

It all worked before so why not now ?

Yours.

Jay. 

You're unable to bind the thumb sticks or triggers to the pitch, roll or yaw axis @RetroJay? Afaik that should work, the d-pad as well, should be bindable to an axis.

Unfortunately it seems that we can't use analogue input for the key bindings, but anyone here can tell you that KSP is long overdue a replacement to Unity's basic input system.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.