Would this work?

I have an idea for auto-orbiting (or almost auto-orbiting), but I'm not sure if it would work. If I put a satellite in a 500 km-ish equatorial orbit, targeted it, and launched when it was directly overhead, would my rocket perform a gravity turn as it turned to follow the satellite, or would it  just flip and explode?

That seems unnecessary given that a gravity turn can be done by holding prograde. Or for an aerodynamically stable rocket by making no control input at all after an initial pitch which can be set on the launchpad.

12 minutes ago, Snark said:

If you've got a specific idea and want to know "would this work"... there's an easy way to find out, yes?  :wink:

Yeah, if anything, I'd say the whole point of the game is to try stuff and see if it works.  Do it in sandbox mode(even starting a new save altogether if needed) if you don't want to risk messing up an existing game.  But in this case, as was mentioned above, even it it DOES work, there are easier ways to get your desired result.

For reference these are kerbal x launches following a target satellite at various altitudes, all launched when the target was directly overhead. The 100km target was the best but even that is worse than a normal gravity turn. A little tweaking of when you start and target altitude might get you a reasonable and consistent launch profile though, as long as your launch vehicles all have similar thrust to weight ratios throughout their flights.

target%20following_zpsbb8hfeza.jpg

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.