KSP - Steam Internet help

Red Shirt

This probably doesn't belong in the lounge but.... I have satellite internet. I wish I had another option but I don't. I get 10GB/month before I get throttled to dial up speed. Problem is I was throttled 2 months ago and the speed never reset in the new period. They keep telling me it is on my end and tell me to reset my modem and router. It doesn't matter I tell them I have done this a hundred times, that is always how the conversation starts. I've even had an onsite tech who told me the problem isn't on my end. Long story short, they have a glitch on their end and can't or won't fix it. 

So, I decided to blow through my data at the end of the last period (new period starts today). I downloaded 1.1.3 through Steam. It took 11 hours. All that effort and KSP won't run. Using KSP64.exe loads fast but there are no parts/flags. The KSP.exe starts loading then goes into an endless loop. 

During the download there were a couple surprise thunderstorms that interrupted the connection. I am guessing a file or two are corrupt. I want to verify my install but have a question - Will this cost me another 1.3 GB of data and another 11 hours? I am assuming yes but hoping I'm wrong. You know, just in case some knucklehead accidentally resets my speed. I'd like to have a little data left :) 

I'd delete this post now if I knew how. Went ahead and ran validation. I had 1111 files that needed to be downloaded. Took an hour and a half. KSP fires right up and runs great. Sent a simple ship to orbit then landed. Really liking what I am seeing so far.

As a general rule, you should not delete posts. Some day someone might google his way to this page trying to figure out the same issue you had. If/when that happens, he can have his answer.

Another rule is that if you ask for help and later figure out the solution for yourself, you should post the solution as well, for the same reason as above.

You have done that second part, so a slice of good karma goes to you.

18 hours ago, Red Shirt said:

I want to verify my install but have a question - Will this cost me another 1.3 GB of data and another 11 hours?

With Steam - no. Though I am not fully sure of the technical details, I assume Steam employs some form of checksum. Simply put, it means that you apply an algorithm to a file and reduce it to a sentence of random looking letters and numbers. If you make a checksum of exactly the same file twice, you get exactly the same combination of characters as a result. If one bit is different in a file, however, you will get a fully different set of characters. That way it is easy to compare one file with an original without having to have both actual files. You simply compare the resulting short sentence of characters. If they are the same, the file is the same. If they are different, the contents of the file is different in some way. It is likely Steam makes a hash of the files on your disk, compares those with the hashes of the original files and only re-downloads those files that have incorrect hashes.

The same technology is often used to verify the integrity of software downloaded for phones. That way you are sure you do not flash a corrupt file to your phone and brick it. Checksums are useful in many other applications too, it is a very useful tool to have in your kit.

6 hours ago, Camacha said:

I assume Steam employs some form of checksum.

That's what I decided as validation didn't take long at all - couple minutes maybe. 

Oh, and blowing through my data trying to force a throttle reset didn't work. Think I'll go find some public WiFi to grab my mods.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.