Strange SSTO Challenge

Okay, so these are the guidelines for the Strange SSTO Challenge!

Level 1: Build the weirdest looking SSTO craft you can

Level 2: Build a strange SSTO without nuclear engines

Level 3: Build a strange SSTO without jet engines

Level 4: Do not use wings! (Fins are okay, though.)

(EDIT)

To clarify, mods that just add data and such, like Kerbal Engineer Redux, Kerbal Alarm Clock, etc., are allowed, but no modded parts, or planet mods.

And also, I'm pretty sure that I won my own challenge.

I don't even have a name for this thing.

https://postimg.org/image/lsah0p3bl/

https://postimg.org/image/heh3sf6v5/

Edited by Yobobhi

When it comes to weird, I have the home field advantage. May I present, the first SSTO I ever designed...

The Flying Ombudsman

Looking forward to seeing your creation, The Thyroid Man!

Edited by Cunjo Carl

6 hours ago, Cunjo Carl said:

When it comes to weird, I have the home field advantage. May I present, the first SSTO I ever designed...

The Flying Ombudsman

Looking forward to seeing your creation, The Thyroid Man!

Why is Laythe in the Background?

What mod?

Oh! Sorry about that, I used to always mention it, but now I've grown so accustomed to it I've started to forget. It's there thanks to hyperedit, which I use prodigiously for payload testing. I never use hyperedit in the course of running challenges, and always time my launches so Laythe doesn't interfere. My missions are equivalent to stock, despite the notably Laythey backdrop :) .

It was a dream of mine as a kid, that I was in a binary planet system and I flew so high that I *schloop!* got sucked from one planet's atmosphere to the other. It was awesome, and I had a chance to relive the feeling in my LKO Laythe challenge. Afterwards, Kerbin's sky felt kindof empty without it, so I just let it hang around!

I like your SSTO, are you using the big Kerbodyne tanks for body lift, or are they just for fun?

17 hours ago, Cunjo Carl said:

@The Thyroid Man , Something seems to be wrong with the image hosting, because I can't see any of the pictures you captioned! I'm really looking forward to seeing "Wait a second, Where are the Parachuts?" Been there so many times.

I know. I spent at least an hour making it and then It didn't upload. I'm going to test if I can upload my pictures...

If that worked, that was a totally random picture of my very first space station. If it didn't, than, crap.

Argggg! It isn't there!

I put it in the paste thing, press "okay" then it shows up for me when I'm writing it, just not when I post it.

(BTW my replies just merged if anyone was wondering how I knew it didn't work)

Hm. Sucks! Technology is convenient except when it isn't, right? I'm a big fan of postimage.org, if you're game to try a different image hosting service. It's really simple, and quite reliable. When you upload your image, it provides you with an html link which can be pasted directly in with your normal message. The KSP forums then automatically load the linked picture. I'm not sure who programmed the forums, but it's pretty swank!

I'm doing level four, which was "make a strange SSTO without wings!" So I did. I was having a lot of trouble posting the pictures, so sorry for the delay.

20160630155203_1.jpg

This picture is of my ship, the UP (stands for Un-aerodynamic Probably-going-to-explode Ship. the S is silent. It is powered by 6 Vector engines.

20160630155256_1.jpg

Liftoff! Sorry for the bad quality.

20160630155333_1.jpg

I'm attempting a gravity turn, but this thing flies like a cow.

20160630155446_1.jpg

There's our trajectory. Not terrible. Again, sorry for the bad quality.

20160630155546_1.jpg

Orbiting burn. What would you call it? I'm sure there's a name, but I don't know it. I'll just call it the "Going into orbit burn."

20160630155641_1.jpg

Woohoo! Orbit!

20160630155820_1.jpg

Well, that was fun while it lasted. We'd better get home.

20160630160019_1.jpg

We're coming in hot!

20160630160059_1.jpg

I think we forgot the parachutes...

20160630160144_1.jpg

Sadly I didn't manage to get a screenshot as we ejected. This is our brave kerbal aligning his head so that he won't die when he hits the water....

20160630160248_1.jpg

Ta-Da!

Edited by The Thyroid Man

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.