Tips for landing gear on small aircraft?

My plane: https://flic.kr/p/JqdJUK

So I made a little aeroplane. It fits in a Mk3 cargo bay for delivery to another planet and it flies great - stable, insanely agile, flies as slow as 50 m/s or as fast as Mach 0.75, won't break unless I crash it, works with or without a Kerbal. Only problem is, I can't sort the landing gear out. I tried conventional ('taildragger') landing gear with a single small steerable gear at the back and either the fixed 'stick' gear or the smallest rover wheels at front, but in both cases I get a shimmy on the takeoff roll and lose control.

I've not tried a tricycle gear but I'd be worried about tailstrikes. I'd consider bicycle gear and use a reaction wheel to keep it balanced, but I can't use only the steerable gear because they have no brakes. I'm not sure if there are any parts I could use as skids that are durable enough but not really heavy, considering the whole plane only weighs about a ton.

Any other ideas? I'd prefer to keep the plane using stock parts, but mods aren't out of the question.

Cut down friction on the steerable wheel massively ( just manually raise it if you want to actually steer with the wheel ), and try cutting the spring rate a bit while leaving the damping. I tend to double up on main gear with the fixed landing gear.

Tricycle gear works fine for me and I don't experience shimmying when the gear is properly placed.

• Main load bearing landing gear as close to CoM as possible without the craft tipping on it's tail, is the most important for stability.
  • Nose wheel far forward is important for control.

I made this test vehicle inspired by your design.

It can lift-off and land at 25 m/s, though 30-35 is recommended.

I probably should have kept the CoM lower or made the landing gear wider.

Thanks for the help all. I found tricycle gear works well after all, with a bit of care I can avoid tailstrikes on takeoff. Opted for rover wheels as mains because I *really* don't trust those fixed landing gear.

I still can't land, but that's pilot incompetence, and I've decided to just take the lazy way and stick a chute on.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.