Ask a physicist to speak at your funeral

RainDreamer

http://www.iflscience.com/physics/ask-physicist-speak-your-funeral-0/

Spoiler

You want a physicist to speak at your funeral. You want the physicist to talk to your grieving family about the conservation of energy, so they will understand that your energy has not died. You want the physicist to remind your sobbing mother about the first law of thermodynamics; that no energy is created in the universe and none is destroyed. You want your mother to know that all your energy, ever vibration, every BTU of heat, every wave of every particle that was her beloved child remains with her in this world. You want the physicist to tell your weeping father that amid the energies of the cosmos, you gave as good as you got.

Read the whole article. Science is beautiful, and existence after death is merely perspective.

I once heard Neil DeGrasse Tyson say if he had to be sentenced to death, but could choose what happened to his body, he would be buried in a forest so that the other living organisms there can use his energy just as he has used energy from them all his life.

12 hours ago, Camacha said:

You mean you want a physisicst to remind everyone how futile your life was and that you were nothing more than a temporary collection of energy and information? :D

Thank you for helping with my afterlife-style plans.

Now, in addition to the hearse with an ice cream truck sound system (to be driven through residential areas), there will also be a lecture on the heat death of the universe.

12 hours ago, cubinator said:

I once heard Neil DeGrasse Tyson say if he had to be sentenced to death, but could choose what happened to his body, he would be buried in a forest so that the other living organisms there can use his energy just as he has used energy from them all his life.

I am not sure why you need to be sentenced for death to do that, but I came to the same conclusion years ago. Your body will return to dust whatever the method of your choosing is, so why not optimize the usefulness of the resources of your body when you no longer need or use them?

9 hours ago, Camacha said:

...why not optimize the usefulness of the resources of your body when you no longer need or use them?

Because I'd rather be embalmed, mummified, and placed in Red Square for generations of Russians to stare at.

What, you mean you wouldn't want to do that?

14 hours ago, Dman979 said:

Because I'd rather be embalmed, mummified, and placed in Red Square for generations of Russians to stare at.

What, you mean you wouldn't want to do that?

One word: Pyramids.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.