[Solved] issues with unity textures and part highlighting

Ok so I'm a bit new to the whole modding thing with the new unity 5 engine and I need a bit of help. I'm having a few issues with the texture of my part, it's normal/bump/depth map thingy and how the game won't highlight the part in the editor and in flight.

Here is a rundown of how I created the part.

I created the original model in google sketchup, exported the dae file into Blender, exported the Blender dae and uv map, put the dae and part tools into unity, opened the uv map in photoshop, created both the texture and normal map and put them into unity, created new game object and made the model a child of it, then placed the textures into their proper slots, i kept the normal map png as a texture with alpha as transparency because otherwise the (limited as is) bumps would not appear on the model, exported the part into the game and this is the result

while the model appears blank in the unity editor, the detail is all on the inside faces (material_0), although it shows in the game with the detail on the outside (refer to above gallery) but i can't find any distortions, weird eh? :huh:

I am using these versions of the programs: Google Sketchup: 15.3.329, Blender: 2.76, Unity: 5.3.5f1 personal, KSP: 1.1.2.1260

Can someone help me with this? Should I rebuild the model and try making the part again? Do I need to provide anymore information?

Edited by Hydranaut
the issues at hand have been solved and it is best noted so for others with the same problem

you have 2 materials set for that mesh, remove the first material from the object.

change your shader to KSP/Bumped Specular

make sure your normal map is checked off as being a normal map (there is a "Check Now" button next to it in your inspector window).

usually for normal maps, using grayscale in unity causes some issues. So it might be better to use a program like xNormal to make your normal maps.

7 minutes ago, cxg2827 said:

you have 2 materials set for that mesh, remove the first material from the object.

change your shader to KSP/Bumped Specular

make sure your normal map is checked off as being a normal map (there is a "Check Now" button next to it in your inspector window).

usually for normal maps, using grayscale in unity causes some issues. So it might be better to use a program like xNormal to make your normal maps.

1) I tried to remove the shader in unity by clicking on the little gear icon but there was no option to remove it. Should i try to open the mesh in blender and look through the hierarchy there?

2) i looked through the shader options, no folder for ksp with the new part tools. should i use the legacy version or the one in the mobile folder?

3) just changed that into a normal map but now the impression makes a square, not the panel shape i was aiming for (see the gallery if confused). i'm going to test it and see what happens. ok so I used the mobile bumped specular shader, fixed the normal map, though i did the changes on the material shader, not material_0 and when i put the new part into game data, exited to KSC and refreshed the database, I enter the VAB to find my tank is not appearing. it was going to fast but i think i saw an error in the database regarding my part. model didn't exist or something like that.

4) ok, i'll just use photoshop to create the normal maps from now on. Thank you very much cxg2827 for helping me fix these problems and to providing solutions to the issues that persist.

14 hours ago, Hydranaut said:

I tried to remove the shader in unity by clicking on the little gear icon but there was no option to remove it. Should i try to open the mesh in blender and look through the hierarchy there?

go into blender and select your mesh, and go into edit mode. there might be some faces that didnt get a texture applied to it, so select all faces and then re-apply the texture to it (even if the texture is coming up fine in the uv/image editor window). maybe that will fix the 2 material issue, but that is just a wild guess.

i looked through the shader options, no folder for ksp with the new part tools. should i use the legacy version or the one in the mobile folder?

interesting. did you also include the previous part tools? i believe you need the legacy version as well. The shader options should list from top to bottom FX, GUI, KSP, Mobile, Nature, etc.

just changed that into a normal map but now the impression makes a square, not the panel shape i was aiming for (see the gallery if confused).

do you have a picture of the grayscale image you used to create that normal?

On 6/28/2016 at 6:10 AM, cxg2827 said:

go into blender and select your mesh, and go into edit mode. there might be some faces that didnt get a texture applied to it, so select all faces and then re-apply the texture to it (even if the texture is coming up fine in the uv/image editor window). maybe that will fix the 2 material issue, but that is just a wild guess.

interesting. did you also include the previous part tools? i believe you need the legacy version as well. The shader options should list from top to bottom FX, GUI, KSP, Mobile, Nature, etc.

do you have a picture of the grayscale image you used to create that normal?

1) ok i just played with the mesh in blender and even though it does not show up in the hierarchy, the model seems to have the qualities of a boiled egg, a mesh on the outside and when you peel it away, an inner mesh. I don't think i can delete the inner layer so I'll just select all the polys that make the outer layer and use that as the basis for the uv map.

2) no, i just have the latest version of the 1.1 tools. i'll put in the old part tools package as well and see what happens.

3) sure, both the image of the mesh and the png that was used should be in the album. not sure if this would cause an issue but thought i would mention. the circles in the panel are close to the square and the colour i used to draw the squares wasn't black but a grey. don't know if this could cause issues.

1 hour ago, Hydranaut said:

a mesh on the outside and when you peel it away, an inner mesh

so you have duplicate faces? you can remove doubles in Edit mode. select all faces, under tools "Remove doubles". though you might have UV errors afterwards, but test it out.

1 hour ago, Hydranaut said:

both the image of the mesh and the png that was used should be in the album.

the normal map you have shows just shows (4) square indents. its hard to figure out the error with limited information. if you link your actual texture and model file it could be easier to troubleshoot some of your issues.

another thing that can help is if you included a picture showing how you unwraped the UVs.

2 hours ago, cxg2827 said:

so you have duplicate faces? you can remove doubles in Edit mode. select all faces, under tools "Remove doubles". though you might have UV errors afterwards, but test it out.

the normal map you have shows just shows (4) square indents. its hard to figure out the error with limited information. if you link your actual texture and model file it could be easier to troubleshoot some of your issues.

another thing that can help is if you included a picture showing how you unwraped the UVs.

1) ok cool, just tried it and it seemed to remove the outer layer. had to change the angle limit on smart uv to avoid mesh overlay but looks good. I will need to recreate the uv map but that should not be too hard

2) i havent made all the changes to the model yet and ill be away from the computer over the next two days so i cant send the stuff right now. :P

3) sure

On 6/29/2016 at 2:41 PM, cxg2827 said:

Whoo hoo! I fixed the highlighting, texture and shader issues. the problem was that i just put the 1.1 part tools in without installing the asset bundles. :P:blush:

so the issue was one of my own and now i hopefully won't make this same mistake again. so thanks cxg2827 for helping me with my own silliness which neither of us realized.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.