Project Ares: Alternate Earth History in Real Solar System

Felbourn

Yep, that was a Titan-Delta inspiration as you guessed. :) 

This week I talk about engines, our new launcher, satellite construction techniques, and Katarina takes a trip:

Next week we'll talk about how early humans figured out facts about the Moon and Earth, plus spend some time trying to reach the Moon while talking about the formation of the Earth Union.

Very nice! This series is shaping up to be another awesome one :)

Do you think anyone will ever make a procedural engine mod, or is it Kerbalkind's white whale? It would be pretty cool to have visually accurate models with tweakable construction materials, combustion chambers, bell shapes and cooling, fuel pumps, fuel ratios, vectoring ranges, etc.. that produce realistic engine performance and failure modes. hehe it would certainly make pre-flight testing important!

I have a new heavy lifter called the Cerberus.
It's time for a geosynchronous communications satellite! I totally redid my remote tech ground stations as well.
I answered a few fan questions.
The kerbals are making plans for manned missions (kerbal and human). 

Next week, we use the Cerberus to launch a space station core module. A new crew launcher will get tested. We might have some news about the communications loss with Kerbin.

Do you have any plans for when the ISS is being worked on? Seeing as how big a mess it caused in gateway I wonder if something would happen.

EDIT: I know the mess was bill's fault but it did still do something when it was finished

Edited by Kepler68

This series is following some of the early ideas humans had, before thought and reason and competition got in the way.

For example, did you know the original moon mission ideas were far more grandiose? They were going to create LEO way stations and much larger transit crafts. Landers would have been huge, and ground bases were being planned.

It was the competition between nations (i.e. Space Race) that caused both sides to cut back and go for "flags and footprints" instead, just to be the first. After someone "won" the race, the interest and novelty waned. If they had all teamed up and take their time, I think things would have been totally different.

That's what you'll see in Ares... a totally different reality than the one you know.

On 2.8.2016 at 6:05 PM, Felbourn said:

I created a custom profile cover. I think it came out nicely, if I say so myself!

I just saw it on your profile - it looks great. i wonder why there is written MARS and not ARES :D

Great episode again - i liked the VAB gates opening

On 26.7.2016 at 3:18 AM, DaleTheGoat said:

Maybe once you start getting into balled spaceflight you can do a dyna-soar-esq shuttle.

I hope @Felbourn manages to get even further. Maybe a finally working X-33... but no pressure :wink:

If anyone wants a teal site added, I might add a few more as long as they don't get too densely packed. You need to create an entry for me like this:

Guid      = AAA
            Name      = BBB
            Latitude  = CCC
            Longitude = DDD
            Height    = EEE

Fill in AAA with the value you get by going here: https://www.guidgen.com/
It'll be a big string like this, but don't use this one:
            Guid      = 2973b751-d1cc-44c4-bfe8-e7ae2dddaba6

BBB is the name of the location, like this example that I already did:
            Name      = Goldstone

The latitude and longitude can be determined with Google maps.
Find the location on the map, for example, Casablanca Moroco, and right-click. You'll get a menu like this. Select "What's here?"
HfzbDDm.png
That will stick a pin in the map and create a popup at the bottom of the screen.
u2C0E5p.png
I need those numbers, so fill in CCC and DDD with those to at least three decimal places.
For example:
            Latitude  = 333.301
            Longitude = -7.685

Finally, I need the height for EEE. Ideally this would be about 300m higher than the ground in the game at that location. Most of you won't know how to get that. Instead, you can try to find the elevation of the location on real Earth, and add 300m.
For example:

99wJElm.png

For example:
            Height    = 445

I took the max elevation of 145m and added 300m.

Put those lines into a post on this thread for places you want added, and I'll see if I can add a teal site for you.

Edited by Felbourn

Guid      = b4cb235c-4cfb-41eb-bec0-5d421920e6a3

Name      = Topsail Island, North Carolina, United States

Latitude  = 34.3657 N

Longitude = -77.6286 W

Height    = 303 

Edited by Force

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.