Steam Failed Hard...

ZooNamedGames

Ok, so I was looking through Steam as I know it's the summer sale, so I take a look and then I see this...

qV3ZXbg.png

Please tell me I'm NOT the only one who sees a serious PROBLEM HERE?? If your a bit slow on the update, these FREE to play games are all PAY to play. Steam, you just failed at being a STORE.

6 minutes ago, Frybert said:

Erm, those are all free to play games. 

They're listed from $2.49 to $14.99

Either the games are free and the prices are wrong, or the games aren't free and shouldn't be listed as free to play. In either case, Steam screwed up badly.

3 minutes ago, Kerbart said:

They're listed from $2.49 to $14.99

Either the games are free and the prices are wrong, or the games aren't free and shouldn't be listed as free to play. In either case, Steam screwed up badly.

They're not selling the games for that much. The first two are starter packs (dlc). The third appears to be a card for the in game store  (dlc). The last one appears to be for some kind of update/expansion  (again dlc). This is typically how F2P games operate.

1 hour ago, Frybert said:

They're not selling the games for that much. The first two are starter packs (dlc). The third appears to be a card for the in game store  (dlc). The last one appears to be for some kind of update/expansion  (again dlc). This is typically how F2P games operate.

So basically the DLC is free to play?... Kind of defeats the purpose of making a DLC free when the game is still P2P.

7 minutes ago, ZooNamedGames said:

So basically the DLC is free to play?... Kind of defeats the purpose of making a DLC free when the game is still P2P.

Errrrr no. The games that the DLC is for are free to play. The DLC itself costs money but is currently on sale for the above advertised price. 

3 minutes ago, Frybert said:

Errrrr no. The games that the DLC is for are free to play. The DLC itself costs money but is currently on sale for the above advertised price. 

But since the games they belong to are “free to play” (and I would totally not be shocked if they turned out the be rather unenjoyable without DLC) the pay-for DLC shows up under "Free to Play," if I understand correctly?

4 minutes ago, Kerbart said:

But since the games they belong to are “free to play” (and I would totally not be shocked if they turned out the be rather unenjoyable without DLC) the pay-for DLC shows up under "Free to Play," if I understand correctly?

Yes, exactly, the games are F2P but they have to make money somehow, DLCs, ingame stores and expansions are ways to make money.

The title is a bit weird, but selling DLCs does not make the games these packs belong to not free to play.

But it's still valid, otherwise it would be like saying that steam is paid since it sells stuff and does almost nothing on its own.

17 minutes ago, tetryds said:

Yes, exactly, the games are F2P but they have to make money somehow, DLCs, ingame stores and expansions are ways to make money.

The title is a bit weird, but selling DLCs does not make the games these packs belong to not free to play.

But it's still valid, otherwise it would be like saying that steam is paid since it sells stuff and does almost nothing on its own.

The store should be selling me a product, not a product's addons. Doing the latter leads to things like the Atari Jaguar CD.

5 minutes ago, ZooNamedGames said:

The store should be selling me a product, not a product's addons. Doing the latter leads to things like the Atari Jaguar CD.

The store should be selling you a product, an addon to a product is still a product, thus it's doing exactly what it's supposed to.

31 minutes ago, tetryds said:

The store should be selling you a product, an addon to a product is still a product, thus it's doing exactly what it's supposed to.

Error is, I don't want part of a car from my car dealership, I want a whole car,

i want a whole game from steam, not an addon. That's what the Workshops for.

Ok, so let's apply a bit of context here.

This is a steam sale, which means that you can buy things at a reduced price. The featured page of steam will be recommending you games and showing you how much you are saving.

Then there are free games, being free mean that you don't pay to play them, or at least you don't pay to play the base version of them.

How would you expect steam to advertise free to play games during a sale? Save 70% on this title that costed 0.00US$ now only 0.00US$!? Or actually paying you to play the free games?

By your analogy, the car is already free, the only thing that the retailer can sell you is parts.

The way it's advertising is basically "discount on parts for free cars", titled as "featured free cars", it may be not totally accurate but there is nothing wrong with it, the cars were always free on the first place and you can just pick them up and drive away at any time.

Also, this does not get to the merit if the base game lacks features or whatever else as that is none of steam's business.

51 minutes ago, tetryds said:

Ok, so let's apply a bit of context here.

This is a steam sale, which means that you can buy things at a reduced price. The featured page of steam will be recommending you games and showing you how much you are saving.

Then there are free games, being free mean that you don't pay to play them, or at least you don't pay to play the base version of them.

How would you expect steam to advertise free to play games during a sale? Save 70% on this title that costed 0.00US$ now only 0.00US$!? Or actually paying you to play the free games?

By your analogy, the car is already free, the only thing that the retailer can sell you is parts.

The way it's advertising is basically "discount on parts for free cars", titled as "featured free cars", it may be not totally accurate but there is nothing wrong with it, the cars were always free on the first place and you can just pick them up and drive away at any time.

Also, this does not get to the merit if the base game lacks features or whatever else as that is none of steam's business.

It's still a serious mis-titling.

Did you not see the words "starter pack?"

Understandable. And that's perfectl fine. I almost missed them myself. But it is important to pay close attention whenever something weird like that happens.

5 minutes ago, Frybert said:

Not really.

And neither is saying that "KSP is the worlds best physics simulator". They're both just *slight* liberaties from the truth.

2 minutes ago, Bill Phil said:

Did you not see the words "starter pack?"

Understandable. And that's perfectl fine. I almost missed them myself. But it is important to pay close attention whenever something weird like that happens.

I'm an American millennial, I don't know or see anything until it's being screamed at me. It's therefore Steam's job to do the screaming.

2 minutes ago, ZooNamedGames said:

I'm an American millennial, I don't know or see anything until it's being screamed at me. It's therefore Steam's job to do the screaming.

The small lines at the bottom of papers you're signing are never shouted out loud to you, you still may want to read them though... And the excuse "I can't read small lines" doesn't work.

8 minutes ago, Gaarst said:

The small lines at the bottom of papers you're signing are never shouted out loud to you, you still may want to read them though... And the excuse "I can't read small lines" doesn't work.

It's not that we can't, it's that we chose not to :wink: .

Edited by ZooNamedGames

8 minutes ago, ZooNamedGames said:

It's not that we can't, it's that we chose not to :wink: .

Then it's your own fault for failing to understand.

8 minutes ago, ZooNamedGames said:

This is the generation you raised America!

It's on it's way out, anyway.

Edited by razark

2 minutes ago, razark said:

Then it's your own fault for failing to understand.

It's on it's way out, anyway.

Not in this case. Subcaptions do not excuse improper titling.

Really? I'll be entering the workforce within the decade.

I'm just gonna end this thread here seeing as I'm steadily digging a hole which is destroying any respectability I could ever have as a human being and also absolutely wasting whatever intelligence I have.

Mods can lock this or not, but all this post really means is that I'm done digging this hole I'm in.