a little help please

dutchy45

Hello everbody,

I'm a noob. Not just with KSP but with gaming in general. I'm retired and have no interest in playing World of Warcraft or some racing game. Before I started KSP I mostly played backgammon! Yes, you may giggle. Anyway I've got a few questions I hope you guys can help me with.

1. I haven't played in a few weeks and I just got around to installing version 1.1.3 Do I delete the older version? I think I red it somewhere.

2. In my account (I bought straight from the store) there was/is beside KSP 1.1.3 also KSP installer. What do I use that for?

3. When I first installed it a few months ago, I copied  a Kerbal figure from within the KSP_win file to the desktop and it worked fine. There are however 3 of those. KSP, KSP_x64 and Launcher and as far as I can tell when I open them I get the game. They are different sized. Can somebody enlighten me? Or maybe I actually should do it different, I don't know?

I would have hesitated to ask these questions if it was n't for the fact that I've noticed other new players got treated very nice here. So, thanks in advance

Hello dutchy45 and welcome to the KSP forums!

1.  Many players keep old versions around.  When I unzip a new version onto my hard drive, I rename the folder to KSP_win_1.1.3 for example.  This allows me to keep all the versions on my system.

2.  That is simply an alternative method of downloading and installing the game.

3.  The Launcher isn't necessary (I never use it).  The other two are the 32-bit and 64-bit versions of KSP.  If you want to run many (memory heavy) mods when playing KSP, you should choose the 64-bit version.  Otherwise you are probably better off using the 32-bit version (the one just called KSP.exe).

Hope this helps.

Happy landings!

Welcome Dutchy45, from another retired old person! I never laugh at n00bs, I used to play all kinds of games, including FALLOUT 3 and F.O. New Vegas ...

and solitaire...

Even though you are from Belgium, and yes, I know there are Dutch people there, I'm also Dutch, born in Noord Brabant in the Netherland, although I came here to New Zealand when I was 6 months old with my parents. (bit hard not to come where with them, I suppose! :) )

Welcome to the insanity that is KSP, its not a game, its an adventure.

Welcome, @dutchy45! I've n intentions of ever retiring, but am 45 years young. My first computer game was one I programmed on my TRS-80 from when PC World Magazine always put in the latest computer game in old basic and you had to manually type it in... then spend the next four days debugging the mess! Ah, a fond memory of the 7" floppy drive, then the later 5.25" floppy, and the cassette drive...!

As for one, I am always glad to help out a fellow KSP player regardless of age or gaming experience. If you need help and if I have the answer, it's yours... and it will be my privilege to help you as @kiwi1960 so eloquently put it...

1 hour ago, kiwi1960 said:

Welcome to the insanity that is KSP, its not a game, its an adventure.

[edited by adsii1970 for relevant content]