Ban Dihydrogen Monoxide! (A Joke)

Matuchkin

You should see the fairy tales people believe when it comes to filling their tires with "pure nitrogen." Especially if the gas station offers a "custom mix with 20% revitalizing oxygen and trace elements for tire preservation"—at a premium, of course.

13 minutes ago, Kerbart said:

You should see the fairy tales people believe when it comes to filling their tires with "pure nitrogen." Especially if the gas station offers a "custom mix with 20% revitalizing oxygen and trace elements for tire preservation"—at a premium, of course.

Well I'd be fine with just pumping my tires with air. Oh, wait... :P

Edited by Matuchkin

2 hours ago, Kerbart said:

Yes, pure nitrogen with oxygen and argon mixed in. Cause, you know, that's how purification works.

Edited by cubinator

4 hours ago, cubinator said:

Yes, pure nitrogen with oxygen and argon mixed in. Cause, you know, that's how purification works.

I like to listen to old radio programs.  Some of the greatest moments are the commercials.

There was one company from the mid 1940s that was advertising how their gasoline was now improved by scientific advances made during the war, that allowed for their product to be made out of "molecules and compounds".

And another generation discovers this old classic :)

I've posted before about how I've had to write an MSDS for water in a professional capacity.

This time I'll share a little titbit from RTECS - The Registry of Toxic Effects of Chemical substances, a Canadian database widely used in the chemical industry.

Water, CAS# 7732-18-5, RTECS Ref. ZC0110000

Test: LD0 (Lowest published lethal dose)

Subject Species: Human Woman

Dose Data: 180gm/kg

Route: Rectal

Toxic Effects:  Sense Organs and Special Senses (Eye) - mydriasis (pupillary dilation) Behavioral - convulsions or effect on seizure threshold Gastrointestinal - nausea or vomiting

Ref. : 

JAMAAP JAMA, Journal of the American Medical Association. (AMA, 535 N. Dearborn St., Chicago, IL 60610) V.1- 1883- Volume(issue)/page/year: 104,1569,1935

http://jama.jamanetwork.com/article.aspx?articleid=259116

On a more serious note, you laugh at the DHMO hoax, but all chemicals must be treated seriously in the industry, hyponatremia is not as rare as you'd think, mainly among vulnerable populations.

Just see the wealth of data on the Toxnet page on water:

https://toxnet.nlm.nih.gov/cgi-bin/sis/search/a?dbs+hsdb:@term+@DOCNO+8183

Edited by p1t1o

1 hour ago, p1t1o said:

…Subject Species: Human Woman…

I laugh because I'm obviously not familiar with the format these follow, but this implies, to the layperson at least, that "human woman" is a distinct species.

Edited by pincushionman

11 hours ago, razark said:

I like to listen to old radio programs.  Some of the greatest moments are the commercials.

There was one company from the mid 1940s that was advertising how their gasoline was now improved by scientific advances made during the war, that allowed for their product to be made out of "molecules and compounds".

Wait, if their gasoline was now made out of "molecules and compounds," then, everything else was made of antimatter then! The reason we still haven't found antimatter was that it was hiding in plain sight under our noses! 

Illuminati confirmed.

4 hours ago, pincushionman said:

I laugh because I'm obviously not familiar with the format these follow, but this implies, to the layperson at least, that "human woman" is a distinct species.

Obviously you're not married.:D

BTW, I prefer to use the term "hydrogen hydroxide".  That one can sometimes still catch people familiar with the DHMO hoax.

2 hours ago, JetJaguar said:

BTW, I prefer to use the term "hydrogen hydroxide".  That one can sometimes still catch people familiar with the DHMO hoax.

My favorite is "hydroxic acid". It is less well-known as dihydrogen monoxide, but sounds scarier than hydrogen hydroxide.

You DO know they found a salty version of Dihydrogen Monoxide on Mars.... and the Moon as well?

As far as Mars goes, this proves the stuff can kill planets... Mars is, apparently, a dead world.

BAN IT BEFORE ITS TOO LATE!!!!!

5 hours ago, cubinator said:

My favorite is "hydroxic acid". It is less well-known as dihydrogen monoxide, but sounds scarier than hydrogen hydroxide.

Or, my personal favorite because it's so intimidating and doesn't mention hydrogen, oxidane.

Edited by Dman979

On June 28, 2016 at 5:56 AM, p1t1o said:

And another generation discovers this old classic :)

I've posted before about how I've had to write an MSDS for water in a professional capacity.

This time I'll share a little titbit from RTECS - The Registry of Toxic Effects of Chemical substances, a Canadian database widely used in the chemical industry.

Water, CAS# 7732-18-5, RTECS Ref. ZC0110000

Test: LD0 (Lowest published lethal dose)

Subject Species: Human Woman

Dose Data: 180gm/kg

Route: Rectal

Toxic Effects:  Sense Organs and Special Senses (Eye) - mydriasis (pupillary dilation) Behavioral - convulsions or effect on seizure threshold Gastrointestinal - nausea or vomiting

Ref. : 

JAMAAP JAMA, Journal of the American Medical Association. (AMA, 535 N. Dearborn St., Chicago, IL 60610) V.1- 1883- Volume(issue)/page/year: 104,1569,1935

http://jama.jamanetwork.com/article.aspx?articleid=259116

On a more serious note, you laugh at the DHMO hoax, but all chemicals must be treated seriously in the industry, hyponatremia is not as rare as you'd think, mainly among vulnerable populations.

Just see the wealth of data on the Toxnet page on water:

https://toxnet.nlm.nih.gov/cgi-bin/sis/search/a?dbs+hsdb:@term+@DOCNO+8183

Rectal rehydration is a technique for rehydrating individuals in a coma or unconscious under circumstance were an IV isotonic saline solution is not available. You wouldn't want some first year med student who failed biophysics  to find you collapsed in a desert and insert a fire hose up you rear end to rehydrate you. Simple coomon sense is that if you have six liter of blood, and loss of 2.5L would make you pass out then practically speaking adding mich  more than 2.5 liters (50 grams/kg body mass) might start having problems.. For example rupturing of the colon, acute rapid septicemia followed by a systemic bacteremia, osmostic shock, hypertensive crisis, asthmatic attack, etc.  In this way if they bring in a 50kg woman, and you add 2.5 liters and she does not regain consciousness after a hour or so and blood pressure is unresponsive, the technique is probably not going to work if you add 5.0 liters more and may kill her. 

In addition certain older individuals lose tha ability to retain sodium, accesive drinking of water can result in low sodium in the blood causing a number of cardiovascular problems. 

In addition if you drink too much water at once and you have a defective/malfunctioning esophageal shincter you could actually drown. This happens to binge alcoholics. The drummer from led zepplin died because he drowned in his vomit.  There is a recommendation the most people don't follow, but you are not supposed to eat with four hours of sleeping in a flat bed, just like you are not supposed to eat or drink before going to swim. 

Its actually not so silly when you think about it, a severe blow to the chest may not break the skin, for instance, but break a rib that puntures the heart that kills you. You rib is not dangerous to you, but can be made dangerous by some other act, in the same way you can swim in a pool full of water, even swallow a few gulps, but if someone holds your head down you will drown eventually. 

The philosophical point here is that humans are a composite of many things, we need many things therefore to survive, but we are not immune to the excesses of any one thing.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.