Blue Screen Windows

Hello everyone, I have read the forums for a long time never felt the need to post before but I am at a loss for what to do now. My computer is crashing while playing KSP for a couple of weeks now. It is not that the game is crashing that is sometimes understandable, it is the whole operating system, it happened several times on 1.12 so I waited until 1.13 and installed it. Start the game and do nothing and it crashes after only 3 min. This is the error the windows shows after the comuptyer starts back up.

Problem signature:
  Problem Event Name:    BlueScreen
  OS Version:    6.1.7601.2.1.0.768.3
  Locale ID:    1033

Additional information about the problem:
  BCCode:    d1
  BCP1:    000000000020000C
  BCP2:    0000000000000002
  BCP3:    0000000000000000
  BCP4:    FFFFF88004C851C1
  OS Version:    6_1_7601
  Service Pack:    1_0
  Product:    768_1

Files that help describe the problem:
  C:\Windows\Minidump\062716-20560-01.dmp
  C:\Users\Jason\AppData\Local\Temp\WER-64912-0.sysdata.xml

Read our privacy statement online:
  http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=104288&clcid=0x0409

If the online privacy statement is not available, please read our privacy statement offline:
  C:\Windows\system32\en-US\erofflps.txt

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Hi @KSP Rules, this appears to be a problem in Windows itself, as searching for the problem signature is showing many different reports of this issue, none mention KSP.

If you are overclocking your PC try resetting the bios to its defaults, and ensure that plenty of air is entering and leaving your PC's case, you can also check your CPU temperature in the bios and with monitoring software.

Most likely your CPU fan is dusty and needs a clean.

@sal_vager Thanks for the response. I had the same thought about over heating too. So I had already taken apart the case and cleaned inside, unfortunately it did not help solve my problem. I will look over some of those responses that you liked to for some ideas on what to do next. I am not overly computer savy so I only mildly know what you are talking about by over clocking overclocking my PC. So I doubt that I have done anything like that unless the can come from factory like that. I might try to check the temperature tonight. 

I'd check that the fans are turning fast enough, there's one in the power supply as well but it's inaccessible (anti tamper stickers) and would not be safe to mess with due to the risk of electric shock from the capacitors, even when disconnected.

Though even if the fans are okay the CPU can still overheat if the cooler has a poor contact, that can happen with old PC's if the thermal paste has dried up.

Checking the temperatures in software would reveal if it's the CPU overheating even after a clean.

All this tells me is you run Windows 7 Service Pack 1, unfortunately. I have a feeling if you ran some other Direct3D 9 application or game for a while you'd get a similar result. KSP has no kernel-level code so by itself it shouldn't cause a STOP (Blue Screen).

Aside from the usual suspects Sal brought up, also check your drivers for third-party stuff; make sure you're using WHQL-signed drivers. Anything you install from Windows Update has to be WHQL-certified or it wouldn't be there.

Is that Sysdata XML handy to download from somewhere?

--

8 hours ago, sal_vager said:

I'd check that the fans are turning fast enough, there's one in the power supply as well but it's inaccessible (anti tamper stickers) and would not be safe to mess with due to the risk of electric shock from the capacitors, even when disconnected.

Though even if the fans are okay the CPU can still overheat if the cooler has a poor contact, that can happen with old PC's if the thermal paste has dried up.

Checking the temperatures in software would reveal if it's the CPU overheating even after a clean.

Ok I downloaded a Hardware Monitor here is a read out when all I am doing is on Chrome (not playing KSP) What things do I need to be focusing on? And I am assuming that I need to be looking at this while I run KSP and try to note values before it inevitably crashes.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0BzBUZL7ZaIHOVm41a1ZYaVR6U3c

@Gordon Fecyk are you asking me about Sysdata XML? 

10 hours ago, KSP Rules said:

Ok I downloaded a Hardware Monitor here is a read out when all I am doing is on Chrome (not playing KSP) What things do I need to be focusing on? And I am assuming that I need to be looking at this while I run KSP and try to note values before it inevitably crashes.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0BzBUZL7ZaIHOVm41a1ZYaVR6U3c

@Gordon Fecyk are you asking me about Sysdata XML? 

Monitor the heat to start with, you can look up your CPU online to find its operating temperatures, as long as it stays within those it should be fine and heat can be ruled out.

22 hours ago, KSP Rules said:

Gordon Fecyk are you asking me about Sysdata XML

That XML file might tell me more about what caused the STOP to occur. For instance, a KERNEL_DATA_INPAGE_ERROR (STOP 0x77 or 0x7A) would suggest a hard drive problem as the OS was trying to read and write pagefile.sys. IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL (STOP 0x0A) would suggest a device or device driver problem. That sort of thing. What you posted didn't include the STOP code, but the XML file might. Don't post the entire thing here; a download link from somewhere, like your Google drive, will do.

It's about as understandable as Kerbal language to most of us, but I've been doing this garbage for 20+ years. I don't even see the codes anymore; all I see is, "bad hard drive, bad RAM, bad card, bad drivers..."

Actually, if that BCC code (D1) is the same as the STOP code in the XML, that suggests a device or driver problem, but most of the hits of that were from XP SP3 and something to do with ACPI not working right. The Windows 7-related hits covered things like third-party firewalls and other things that insert themselves into the network stack. Hm, I've read elsewhere KSP struggles with multi-NIC PCs; do you have more than one network port on your PC, or any firewall or other network add-on software that isn't from Microsoft?

That's wild mass guessing at this point; the XML would tell me more.

--

Edited by Gordon Fecyk
Looked up BCCcode and found variant of IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

@Gordon Fecyk I really do appreciate the help on this. I think I realize that these two lines tell me the location of the files you might be looking for.

C:\Windows\Minidump\062716-20560-01.dmp
C:\Users\Jason\AppData\Local\Temp\WER-64912-0.sysdata.xml

And I can find the Minidump folder, but unable to read them. But as far as the sysdata.xml file I can't locate it. I get as far as looking for the appdata folder. I don't know if it is hidden and I have to do something to see it or what.

I have found C:\Users\Jason\AppData\Local\Temp but I see no file or folder named WER-64912-0.sysdata.xml

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.