The basic answer is some combination of: reduce the drag at the front of the rocket, add drag at the back of the rocket, add more reaction wheels to provide more force, add more aerodynamic control surfaces, and/or redesign your rocket to move the heavier parts upwards.

1 hour ago, bewing said:

The basic answer is some combination of: reduce the drag at the front of the rocket, add drag at the back of the rocket, add more reaction wheels to provide more force, add more aerodynamic control surfaces, and/or redesign your rocket to move the heavier parts upwards.

Seems like moving heavier parts and adding drag at the back helps. I tied a few rockets and were all good. Thanks for your help ^^

You don't have enough fin, and another (often overlooked) issue is that with the fuel tanks you're using, you can increase instability as you fly.

The little basic fins may be enough to hold you steady on the stick until the solid booster burns out, but once you stage the booster away, you have nothing to stabilise your upper stage.  Try putting basic fins up there and larger fins on the solid booster, if you have them.  Alternatively, use more solid boosters with the thrust turned down so that when they burn out, you're out of the thickest part of the atmosphere and don't need fins.

The fuel tank problem is a lot more subtle.  The issue is that as you use fuel, it drains downwards.  Thus the upper tanks empty first and the centre of mass shifts lower, which makes the rocket unstable.  To remedy this, you can use either a larger fuel tank or try to transfer fuel from the lower tanks to the upper tanks while in flight.  However, given the state of your rocket, I'll guess that you're in the very beginning of career mode and have neither the larger fuel tanks nor the building upgrades necessary for resource transfer, so the remedy available to you is simply to be certain that you don't become unstable until you're out of the thickest part of the atmosphere and therefore out of danger of flipping.

If that doesn't work, then you may need to get rid of the Goo canisters until you can unlock some better aerodynamics tech.  They interfere with the airflow.

Edited by Zhetaan

If you have it, it may also help to use the SAS hold prograde function.  It's not a substitute for a stable rocket, but can help correct tipping tendencies before they start compounding.

You can still make small adjustments to your ascent path by manual steering, but as a rule of thumb it's best to keep your directional marker within the circle around the prograde marker.  Any more than that, and the drag tends to push the rocket further off course in a vicious cycle.

That said, it's safer to adjust your course with throttle control and gravity while remaining prograde (throttle down to tip more, and vice versa).

20 hours ago, Aegolius13 said:

If you have it, it may also help to use the SAS hold prograde function.  It's not a substitute for a stable rocket, but can help correct tipping tendencies before they start compounding.

You can still make small adjustments to your ascent path by manual steering, but as a rule of thumb it's best to keep your directional marker within the circle around the prograde marker.  Any more than that, and the drag tends to push the rocket further off course in a vicious cycle.

That said, it's safer to adjust your course with throttle control and gravity while remaining prograde (throttle down to tip more, and vice versa).

Yeah i already use the SAS but keeps unestable :/ anyway the other anwers helpedme, but thank you for answering me :)

23 hours ago, Zhetaan said:

You don't have enough fin, and another (often overlooked) issue is that with the fuel tanks you're using, you can increase instability as you fly.

The little basic fins may be enough to hold you steady on the stick until the solid booster burns out, but once you stage the booster away, you have nothing to stabilise your upper stage.  Try putting basic fins up there and larger fins on the solid booster, if you have them.  Alternatively, use more solid boosters with the thrust turned down so that when they burn out, you're out of the thickest part of the atmosphere and don't need fins.

The fuel tank problem is a lot more subtle.  The issue is that as you use fuel, it drains downwards.  Thus the upper tanks empty first and the centre of mass shifts lower, which makes the rocket unstable.  To remedy this, you can use either a larger fuel tank or try to transfer fuel from the lower tanks to the upper tanks while in flight.  However, given the state of your rocket, I'll guess that you're in the very beginning of career mode and have neither the larger fuel tanks nor the building upgrades necessary for resource transfer, so the remedy available to you is simply to be certain that you don't become unstable until you're out of the thickest part of the atmosphere and therefore out of danger of flipping.

If that doesn't work, then you may need to get rid of the Goo canisters until you can unlock some better aerodynamics tech.  They interfere with the airflow.

As you said im in the very beginning but i think with your tips Ill be able to keep my rocket stable. Thank you so much for helping me ^^

I had this problem for awhile.  I am guessing that you're exceeding 240 m/s before getting to 8km in altitude.  Somewhere between 200 and 300 m/s, my rockets always start flipping around below that first atmosphere threshold.  You can either turn down the thrust on the booster or swap it out for a liquid engine so you can adjust the throttle.

Yeah I know, I usually dont do it but i tried just to see if it worked better. It didn´t xD

51 minutes ago, Slaghead said:

I had this problem for awhile.  I am guessing that you're exceeding 240 m/s before getting to 8km in altitude.  Somewhere between 200 and 300 m/s, my rockets always start flipping around below that first atmosphere threshold.  You can either turn down the thrust on the booster or swap it out for a liquid engine so you can adjust the throttle.

Okey, thanks for taking your time to help me. Ill try it in the next fly :)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.