New Horizons Travelling Circus -- INTERLUDE: Everything is Broken

Geschosskopf

18 hours ago, Angel-125 said:

Congrats on getting Munbase BBQ up and running! :)

Thanks!  Pathfinder et al is great for this.  I'll give you some detailed feedback shortly.

8 hours ago, Kuzzter said:

What great stuff! Explosions galore, of course, but what I really like about these updates is the exploration of mods I haven't tried yet. Building an infrastructure to make rocket parts offworld looks like loads of fun--I might look into that in the future for a Laythe base.

I like trying out new mods.  Always full of surprises.

There are several ways to build ships off world.  Most are either EL or its derivatives.  There is also OSE Workshop which I haven't yet tried but am thinking of adding.  I think it's more for making individual parts instead of whole ships but I could be wrong.  I'd like to make just parts to reload things like a rover with empty KIS boxes.

8 hours ago, Just Jim said:

That is seriously tempting...

I've been wanting to do this for years.  It's a lot of work, though, so don't do it on a whim.  Besides the actual rocketry needed, you also have to learn a lot about all these mods so you can make them do what you want .  And then put in all the time and hope the Kraken stays away.

Edited by Geschosskopf

10 minutes ago, KAL 9000 said:

Except Kerbals... have you considered Civilian Population? Then, you'll never have to launch from Kerbin again!

Yes I have, and no, I don't want it, thanks all the same.  It clashes with how I envision Kerbal biology to work.

I figured out a way to reduce costs of shipping kerbals, make a simple LKO craft the costs as little money as possible. While constructing a transport vehicle from the mun. Dock the transport vehicle and the basic orbiter in LKO and then transfer. Easy as that!

On 8/9/2016 at 5:19 PM, Geschosskopf said:

Yes I have, and no, I don't want it, thanks all the same.  It clashes with how I envision Kerbal biology to work.

Oh, yeah, the spores thing. I maybe could patch it to simulate that for you?

13 hours ago, UnusualAttitude said:

Check the news. Geschosskopf is a firefighter living in Louisiana. He's probably too busy saving lives. :wink:

Hope you're OK, Geschosskopf.

I talked to him a couple days ago. Yes, he's OK, but there's been a lot of flooding in the area, he's been really, really busy.

INTERLUDE: Everything is Broken

Real life has recently stomped with both feet on my whole part of the world.  Fortunately, while things were certainly bad in my own little bailiwick, we were spared the ongoing horrors of the flatter areas to the south.  You can read about things in my local area in this thread.  But the real story is what's happening elsewhere, which seems to get worse every day a few miles further downstream.  It's the strangest disaster I've ever seen, and I've seen quite a few.  It sprang to full, furious life practically instantly and without warning up in my neighborhood, so it was quite hectic for a while and the physical damage was greater.  But now it's a slow, steady, creeping doom that folks can get out of the way of before it hits, and which leaves most things physically intact, but is still making tens of thousands homeless.  So while this is a huge disaster and will be a source of lingering inconvenience for months if not years to come, it's not killing many people and the utilities are still working in most places.

However, even though the damage has run its course where I live, the recovery is just starting and I've got much work to do.  Plus I might get deployed to one of the soggier places.  So for the time being, the Travelling Circus is taking a vacation.

On 8/10/2016 at 4:37 AM, Galacticvoyager said:

I figured out a way to reduce costs of shipping kerbals, make a simple LKO craft the costs as little money as possible. While constructing a transport vehicle from the mun. Dock the transport vehicle and the basic orbiter in LKO and then transfer. Easy as that!

Yeah, this is kinda what I was thinking.  Problem is, I can't leave a ship in Kerbin orbit or the Kraken messes up its orbit, sometimes with fatal consequences.  Thus, if I bring the Mun-built shuttle to Kerbin and leave it parked to launch the crew lifter, the shuttle won't be where I left it and might not even be in the Sonnah system.  So basically I have to send Kerbals all the way to Mun or low Sonnah orbit in 1 go before they can transfer to another ship.

On 8/12/2016 at 5:54 PM, KAL 9000 said:

Oh, yeah, the spores thing. I maybe could patch it to simulate that for you?

Thanks but no thanks.  In my universe, Kerbal biology is something that wouldn't work well in space.

On 8/14/2016 at 5:36 PM, UnusualAttitude said:

Check the news. Geschosskopf is a firefighter living in Louisiana. He's probably too busy saving lives. :wink:

Hope you're OK, Geschosskopf.

13 hours ago, Just Jim said:

I talked to him a couple days ago. Yes, he's OK, but there's been a lot of flooding in the area, he's been really, really busy.

13 hours ago, UnusualAttitude said:

Thanks, Jim. I too heard from him this morning, he'd just got in from working three days straight. Kudos.

Yup, I've been rather busy of late.  Thanks for the concern and words of encouragement.

• 1 month later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.