Fastest aircraft possible

The challenge is simple: Go fast

I am challenging all of you to make the fastest possible aircraft you can in the game. However. There are rules.

RULES:

1. Your aircraft must only use stock parts

2. You can use FAR or stock aero. Whichever you prefer.

3. Your aircraft must use only air breathing engines. Rapiers are allowed as long as you don't use rocket mode.

4. No cheats allowed. At all.

5. It is required to fly for at least 15 minutes before running out of fuel.

6. You must record your speed run as a LEVEL flight. I.E. No diving to gain speed or dropping out of orbit.

7. You cannot use reaction control systems such as RCS or reaction wheels besides the ones in your cockpit.

8. It must fly level with lift provided by wings. So no long wingless fuselages with a engine on the end.

You may test your aircraft with ignore max temp to show us what it can really do but that speed will not be counted in your entry. Only the speed without cheats.

The top three fastest planes will win.

WINNERS

1.  @Cunjo Carl 1,750 m/s

2.  Me: 1,736 m/s

3. @Van Disaster1,536 m/s

May the fastest plane win....

I will start with my own entry to my own challenge.

I present, the "Aurora." She is capable of Mach 5.815 at 20,600 meters. My fastest aircraft yet.

Edited by Gman_builder

5 hours ago, herbal space program said:

So you're calling it a "fastest plane" contest but instead it's actually just a middle school popularity contest, with your own arbitrary impressions thrown in? Meh!

what?

3 hours ago, IvanSanchez said:

I think the Escape Velocity challenge provides a similar (but greater) challenge, and way more kerbalisity.

dude if you don't wanna do the challenge then don't do it. This one is different in the sense that you cannot use rocket engines.

11 hours ago, Gman_builder said:

The challenge is simple: Go fast

I am challenging all of you to make the fastest possible aircraft you can in the game. However. There are rules.

RULES:

1. Your aircraft must only use stock parts

2. You can use FAR or stock aero. Whichever you prefer.

3. Your aircraft must use only air breathing engines. Rapiers are allowed as long as you don't use rocket mode.

4. No cheats allowed. At all.

5. It is required to fly for at least 15 minutes before running out of fuel.

6. You must record your speed run as a LEVEL flight. I.E. No diving to gain speed or dropping out of orbit.

7. You cannot use reaction control systems such as RCS or reaction wheels besides the ones in your cockpit.

8. It must fly level with lift provided by wings. So no long wingless fuselages with a engine on the end.

You may test your aircraft with ignore max temp to show us what it can really do but that speed will not be counted in your entry. Only the speed without cheats.

Points will be awarded as likes on your entry. You can make only 2 entries and they both must be on a separate post. Whoever has the most likes on their post by august 1st wins!

Points will be added based on coolness factor. So if your aircraft looks really good I will add up to 5 points to your entry. If it does not look good you will stick with the points you get from likes.

May the fastest plane win....

I will start with my own entry to my own challenge.

http://imgur.com/a/Lr8Fi

I present, the "Aurora." She is capable of Mach 4.7 at 21k meters without ignore max temp and Mach 5.1 with it on. My design is nearing the limits of flight in KSP so good luck!

I might actually do this. Nice challenge(also the others are right about the middle school popularity contest, you could add a point system based on flying and not likes)

39 minutes ago, Gman_builder said:

What?

What do you mean "what"? In the headline, you represented this as a challenge about building the fastest plane, which is a challenge that could be interesting if the rules were well thought out (which by the way yours are not), and is the reason I bothered clicking on it. Once we look at the fine print however, we find out that it is in fact only a challenge about grubbing for likes and about winning the approval of your most excellent anonymous self. Most grownups who are interested in testing the limits of what is possible in this game are going to be turned off by that.

Edited by herbal space program

47 minutes ago, herbal space program said:

What do you mean "what"? In the headline, you represented this as a challenge about building the fastest plane, which is a challenge that could be interesting if the rules were well thought out (which by the way yours are not), and is the reason I bothered clicking on it. Once we look at the fine print however, we find out that it is in fact only a challenge about grubbing for likes and about winning the approval of your most excellent anonymous self. Most grownups who are interested in testing the limits of what is possible in this game are going to be turned off by that.

How is that off putting? The person with the best aircraft in both performance and looks wins. How are the rules "Not well thought out?" They state the basic parameters that your aircraft must fall under. I honestly don't understand how you could be so offended by some guy's simple speed challenge. Like I said, if your really that mad just don't do the challenge, jees. Either way I changed some stuff so it sounds less like what your saying. I hope that helped.

48 minutes ago, 322997am said:

I might actually do this. Nice challenge(also the others are right about the middle school popularity contest, you could add a point system based on flying and not likes)

Ok thanks for stating that in a friendly fashion. I will change some stuff.

Edited by Gman_builder

3 hours ago, Gman_builder said:

How is that off putting? The person with the best aircraft in both performance and looks wins. How are the rules "Not well thought out?" They state the basic parameters that your aircraft must fall under. I honestly don't understand how you could be so offended by some guy's simple speed challenge. Like I said, if your really that mad just don't do the challenge, jees. Either way I changed some stuff so it sounds less like what your saying. I hope that helped.

Exactly where does performance come into it? Nowhere AFAICT. It's not a speed challenge, it's a popularity contest, and I for one do not want to see this hallowed challenge forum turn into a warren of inane popularity contests, especially ones where OP reserves the right to put their thumb on the scale. Phooey on that. I believe this should be a place where people who are serious about probing the edge of the envelope should offer one another interesting engineering, planning, and piloting challenges in a spirit of free, fair, and ultimately collaborative competition. It should not be a place where cliques of acquainted posters promote each other based on nothing but their social connectedness. I will fight to defend this forum from that, and if you can't understand that I don't know what else to say to you about it.

32 minutes ago, herbal space program said:

Exactly where does performance come into it? Nowhere AFAICT. It's not a speed challenge, it's a popularity contest, and I for one do not want to see this hallowed challenge forum turn into a warren of inane popularity contests, especially ones where OP reserves the right to put their thumb on the scale. Phooey on that. I believe this should be a place where people who are serious about probing the edge of the envelope should offer one another interesting engineering, planning, and piloting challenges in a spirit of free, fair, and ultimately collaborative competition. It should not be a place where cliques of acquainted posters promote each other based on nothing but their social connectedness. I will fight to defend this forum from that, and if you can't understand that I don't know what else to say to you about it.

What's your problem man I changed the point system Jesus Christ chill its just a game. This whole game is pastime not a career. You need to relax.

3 minutes ago, Grenartia said:

Are motherships allowed?

As long as the aircraft your doing the speed run in follows the rules above, anything goes!

9 minutes ago, Gman_builder said:

What's your problem man I changed the point system Jesus Christ chill its just a game. This whole game is pastime not a career. You need to relax.

Look, I wasn't going to say anything beyond my first comment, but you asked me to spell it out for you, so I did. I actually made my last comment before I noticed you changed the rules to something meaningful, so I'm sorry for that.  You may think I'm crazy, that's OK with me. For my part, I feel like I was successful in defending the challenge forum from being overrun by some kind of Facebook-style BS.

1 hour ago, He_162 said:

The highest speed achievable in the atmosphere will be the same for everyone unless disabling thermal is allowed for the entry.

Speeds exceeding Mach 4.5 are very hard to achieve. Given there is in fact a limit, reaching it while balancing you altitude, temperature, and speed is a challenge in of itself.

1 hour ago, Grenartia said:

I just overheated a Mk1 Service Bay on my last test run. This is a good sign.

See, that part of the challenge!

1 minute ago, Gman_builder said:

Speeds exceeding Mach 4.5 are very hard to achieve. Given there is in fact a limit, reaching it while balancing you altitude, temperature, and speed is a challenge in of itself.

See, that part of the challenge!

I was actually testing out a variant I did for a similar challenge back in January. I actually went faster during the test than I did back then. I'll do my official run and post screens in a while.

2 hours ago, herbal space program said:

Look, I wasn't going to say anything beyond my first comment, but you asked me to spell it out for you, so I did. I actually made my last comment before I noticed you changed the rules to something meaningful, so I'm sorry for that.  You may think I'm crazy, that's OK with me. For my part, I feel like I was successful in defending the challenge forum from being overrun by some kind of Facebook-style BS.

Thanks for ruining my enthusiasm towards a harmless speed challenge. Go be the Batman of some other forum and deliver your forum justice there. This place is not Gotham city, we are all friends here, no need to be so mean to some guy just having fun.

I give you the Speed Demon. I do want to point out that I couldn't maintain speed at level flight. The aircraft goes so fast it needs to periodically dive to maintain altitude, because Kerbin is curving away from its flight path. However, I feel this is still a valid submission, because it can maintain its high speed in a shallow climb (as noted by MJ's AoA indicator).

Edited by Grenartia

5 hours ago, Gman_builder said:

2 hours ago, Gman_builder said:

Thanks for ruining my enthusiasm towards a harmless speed challenge. Go be the Batman of some other forum and deliver your forum justice there. This place is not Gotham city, we are all friends here, no need to be so mean to some guy just having fun.

"Go be a batman" ? ...And you have the nerve to call @herbal space program "mean"? ...that's such an average response, shame on you:D

But seriously, all i am reading from these people ruining your enthusiasm is constructive criticism. They are telling you what they find distasteful about the challenge and they are even telling you how to fix it(that's more than most people get). Yes it is only opinion, but these challenges are for the community, no?

If enough players complain about the same thing, then there is some problem with the challenge itself you need to address...you have to decide what number of players is enough.

Edited by Blaarkies

25 minutes ago, Blaarkies said:

"Go be a batman" ? ...And you have the nerve to call @herbal space program "mean"? ...that's such an average response, shame on you:D

But seriously, all i am reading from these people ruining your enthusiasm is constructive criticism. They are telling you what they find distasteful about the challenge and they are even telling you how to fix it(that's more than most people get). Yes it is only opinion, but these challenges are for the community, no?

If enough players complain about the same thing, then there is some problem with the challenge itself you need to address...you have to decide what number of players is enough.

Only one person was complaining and he never gave me any suggestions. That was no where near constructive criticism. It was just unnecessary insults being thrown around about my content. "challenge that could be interesting if the rules were well thought out (which by the way yours are not)." Quote from the one guy who seems to not like me for no reason. Every thing else is either questions about rules or comments about related topics. How is that an average response? He could have got the same point across in a much simpler and friendlier fashion. Such as a simple, "Maybe this shouldn't be point based." Like that other guy did. The definition of constructive criticism is a comment having both positive and negative aspects. None of his posts had either. Either way I changed the rules a lot so I can hopefully fit the image that is apparently mandatory to all challenge topics. I called him Batman because he seems to be going through topics feeling good about insulting other people work bringing "justice to the forum." If I receive any more comments about this I will just have the topic taken down because you clearly hate for no reason, even after I made adjustments.

54 minutes ago, Grenartia said:

I give you the Speed Demon. I do want to point out that I couldn't maintain speed at level flight. The aircraft goes so fast it needs to periodically dive to maintain altitude, because Kerbin is curving away from its flight path. However, I feel this is still a valid submission, because it can maintain its high speed in a shallow climb (as noted by MJ's AoA indicator).

Wow Mach 5.6! That's really impressive!

Settle down guys, Herbal was being rude, that should be the end of it.

Now back to having a tasteful conversation.

Are we allowed to modify an engines config to allow it to work past the speed limit the jet engines have in-game, basically allowing much greater speeds (excess of mach 21)?

2 hours ago, Gman_builder said:

Only one person was complaining and he never gave me any suggestions. That was no where near constructive criticism. It was just unnecessary insults being thrown around about my content. "challenge that could be interesting if the rules were well thought out (which by the way yours are not)." Quote from the one guy who seems to not like me for no reason. Every thing else is either questions about rules or comments about related topics. How is that an average response? He could have got the same point across in a much simpler and friendlier fashion. Such as a simple, "Maybe this shouldn't be point based." Like that other guy did. The definition of constructive criticism is a comment having both positive and negative aspects. None of his posts had either. Either way I changed the rules a lot so I can hopefully fit the image that is apparently mandatory to all challenge topics. I called him Batman because he seems to be going through topics feeling good about insulting other people work bringing "justice to the forum." If I receive any more comments about this I will just have the topic taken down because you clearly hate for no reason, even after I made adjustments.

How is that an average response...that was a pun, sorry for my bad jokes("mean" is a synonym for "average", more often used in statistical analysis)
You shouldn't let all this get on your nerves so easily, nobody hates you or your challenge. They just fear that one day more challenges will follow some "likes = points" scoring system. Some of us had "not so popular" lives, but this forum doesn't care about who has friends or not, all is fair and everyone is happy...but if someone has 20 good friends on his account, and they see him post a medicare plane, but they can make him win just by each clicking a button...well yes they will do it. You are correct, it is just a game, but these challenges made it sort of like multiplayer(players can share similar experiences) and that makes it an important part of the "game" to some people, take that away and you take away half the fun in it. The criticism they gave didn't give a full list of what the rules should be(then they could have just made a new challenge), they only pointed out that the "likes" point system is flawed.

Yes I get the batman references and stuff, but maybe he is just a really active forum member, appreciates the community and doesn't want to lose it...thus the "hero posts"

This post really has no point so i will make one :blush::
Put up pictures(and stats) of all the entries on a special poll topic. Every one has 1-2 votes to pick the best craft(which are all anonymous except for pictures and stats). You will know who won and announce it later on...people can still "show" their friends which picture is theirs(but at least it takes way more effort). Some effort on your part though, but members might really appreciate that as the new way to do challenges maybe?

4 hours ago, Gman_builder said:

Wow Mach 5.6! That's really impressive!

I've yet to see if I can break the 5.7 barrier, but I'm not gonna hold my breath.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.