New antenna/communication mod idea

VaPaL

I actually had a similar thought recently, but to improve remotetech. In addition to the three different gains, I was picturing ultra low gain command/telemetry antennas (for control) and relay antennas, since most of the antennas wouldn't be equipped to receive and forward data.

I dont think that would be an easy first mod. Optional MJ integration is not a bad idea. Having the probe spin ramdomly when it loses connection is a terrible idea.

The original versions of RemoteTech actually had an antenna that would orient itself, to point at where the signal was coming from. They removed that part of the code. Not sure if it was a performance problem, or gameplay problem, or something else entirely.

Your precise controls idea would prevent me from ever trying it. The reason this limitation exists in reality is due to low bitrate and speed of light delays. So, maneuvers are programmed in advance - just as in RemoteTech.

As far as the losing connection and automatically trying to reconnect goes, that works if it has a single, wide angle dish to connect with. On the other hand, if it has say three of them, and one of them is a tiny angle, almost any rotation at all will rotate the high power dish cone off its target.

Not to mention you could have trouble dealing with that when it goes on rails. Even RT has problems at high timewarp.

I like the idea though it sounds a bit ambitious particularly if you don't have much programing experience. Most mods are done in C# rather than in C++, not sure how difficult it would be to interface. The good news is that C# and C++ are very similar - the bad news is about the only KSP documentation is other peoples code. A couple useful sites:

Mod Development Links Compilation

and

New KSP API Documentation 

Look forward to seeing what you come up with.

8 hours ago, VaPaL said:

Nice! Want to partner up? If your time is limeted, just sharing knowledge will help a lot! :)

Sorry, I've got 2 (3?) big projects on my plate right now, and a number of small commitments. I also have next to zero programming experience :P (which is partially intentional)

@blu3wolf Yeah, I think it will be hard, but I'll take my time, will wait until 1.2 to start programming, so I have some time to learn.

As far as spinning, it wouldn't be random, it will set Kerbin as a target (or any other previous set body/relay) and try to point the dish at it. If you have more than one antenna, it could try one by one starting from short range low gain to high range low gain, so you always have a wide cone.

The precision will apply to things that you do while using the low gain antenna, you could set everything with the high gain one, pre-set MJ them change to a medium/low gain and keep the precision. But if you forget and have to use other antenna, you loose precision.

Thanks a lot @wasml, this will help a lot. It will be hard, and take some time, but I'll post my progress here. Will start with modeling, so I think that will be a little faster since I have some experience in thet field :)

The issue being, with RT for instance I can intend for the probe to go out of contact, without worrying about it losing settings during the dark period. If you intend spacecraft pointing to be a game mechanic, its going to have issues when on rails to off rails - because the craft will not have rotated during its orbit to point at its target. If it goes behind a planet, then it will have lost its pointing when it regains a line of sight - and unless it happens at random to sweep over the correct LoS, which is at that moment transmitting, its unlikely to regain stabilisation. Its one reason why regaining contact with probes in the real world, that have been out of contact, is so unlikely - impossible if they have lost their pointing system.

@blu3wolf I see, but I intend to for the 'auto ratate' feature to be done regardless of contact. Like it's hard coded in it, so, lets say you warped for a time and when you stopped you lost LoS, you won't be able to make any imput, but the probe will rotate to restablish LoS. If it fails (out of range/behind a body) it will keep pointing to the target and any previously programmed manuever will be done.

The part where this gone be hard is for Comm Network, it will be necessary to have a main relaysat over KSC in KEO with a dish pointing to KSC and another to the next relaysat. The dish antenna will have some sort of liberty to move, otherwise it would be kind of hard to plan it on VAB.

I don't have everything figured out yet, but this is being very helpful to anticipate some problems. Keep it coming :P

Ah, I was thinking you meant to not have an autopointing thing. Also worth noting for targets is that unless you use hyperedit, your KSO satellites will drift over time - not an issue for short term missions, but with years of timewarp, the relay directly overhead will end up on the other side of kerbin.

Even satellites in the real world have to expend stationkeeping propellant to deal with their orbit not being perfectly synchrnous on a timescale of years.

Its hard or impossible for me to propose issues with MJ integration, as Ive never used it.

Yeah I know, I don't plan to implement some form of station keeping, but keeping them in place by temporary raising or lowering their orbits it's part of the fun :P or even replacing your old CommSat Network for a new, cutting edge technology one (for carrer saves).

I do intend to create some sort of configurability GUI, to turn on/off some features.

For the MJ part I will probably need to talk to sarbian when a get there. But it will be more technical stuff, these now are more about the mechanics of it, which is good to have everything in place BEFORE starting to get things done :)

So thanks for your help, any questions or sugestions are very appreciated!

• 2 weeks later...