(COMPLETE) Mun Rescue

Findthepin1

0EYkyq5.png

Yet Again, Findthepin1 Goes To The Mun And Something Bad Happens

I've said it before and I'll say it again. Every time I go to the Mun, something bad happens.

So I went to the Mun out of boredom, with the intention of not loading any quicksaves.

I sent the standard double-fuel Orbital Activity Vehicle to the Mun to see if it could handle it. I usually use it on Minmus so I don't know if it can still survive the Mun. It used to be able to.

So I landed it fine at 3.7 m/s.

I sent the kerbals, Helalla, Henrigh, Sina, and Luke out to do stuff on the surface.

Luke went out fourth to measure the scientific instruments. He fell off the side of the lander, hit a landing leg, Krakened out, destroyed the landing leg, and died.

After I got over my initial shock, I realized I should start taking pictures. This is the lander after Luke died.

qHR5MgX.png

I'm gonna find a way to get the rest of them off this evil rock called the Mun. This post is going to be updated, so check in again soon!

EDIT: I'm actually going to make new posts here instead. It's easier to read. Scroll down for what happened next.

Edited by Findthepin1

So I have a plan. The OAV, now damaged, is capable of ascent to Munar orbit, but not to Kerbin reentry. It would spin and explode. The OAV will ascend to Munar orbit, dock with another OAV, which will bring them to a vacant 32-kerbal Mun Colony Ship orbiting Kerbin. The broken OAV will deorbit over the Mun and destroy itself on the ground. A reentry module will be sent up to dock with the new OAV which will have to undock from the Mun Colony Ship to dock with the other thing, which will reenter the atmosphere. Going to build the reentry module now.

iANCeKn.jpg

The rest of the Mission Report is in my next post.

Edited by Findthepin1

The rest can be explained by a bunch of pictures.

The rescue OAV is on the launchpad.

zeFafUe.png

The rescue OAV ascending:

q0MVUmj.png

And now it has reached orbit.

R3lENKG.png

The rescue OAV burning for the Mun:

Fw4OUWe.png

The rescue OAV arriving at the Mun...

Aq3pYFu.png

...and entered orbit.

cj7GHWg.png

Meanwhile, the broken OAV on the ground gets ready to ascend to Munar orbit.

3NQlJ26.png

The two ships docked in orbit.

vjGAbWN.png

Helalla Kerman is in front of the docked ships.

741RvNo.png

The Mun's surface is (b)right below them!

jhgZr7l.png

The two ships undock after everyone has been transferred to the newer one.

tP8GIEK.png

The old ship begins a deorbit burn. It's no longer usable, and would otherwise become debris.

3QQtKQU.png

The landscape soaring past below the broken lander will soon be its grave:

VuKkV52.png

The abandoned OAV hits the ground.

F2fiUjb.png

Surprisingly, most of it survived.

o5ortjC.png

Then that crashed as well. Nothing survived on the ground. Meanwhile, the Reentry Module is about to launch.

l9y03Dk.png

It does the routine burn to orbit.

G02FLd4.png

I didn't take any pictures of the progress of the Rescue Ship back to Kerbin. Sorry. :D But here it docks with the Reentry Module:

T4auvJG.png

The Mun is visible out their window in the OAV!

JXzk2EP.png

The two ships are docked as Kerbin waits below.

kUCGYt4.png

The last space sunset of the mission is seen now:

RPoTO3b.png

We thought that was the last celestial event, but then the crew got to see its last Moonrise:

8rEiKyw.png

The first reentry flames appear.

sE8t80s.png

The reentry flames are shaped like the Reentry Module (and the Reentry Module is now shaped like a mushroom)!

Zbbmj6P.png

Seen from afar, or on the ground, one might mistake it for a meteor.

DPEugHi.png

The parachutes won't deploy because the probe core exploded! Helalla, Henrigh, and Sina have to make a jump for it!

P6xZIT4.png

All three astronauts safely landed in the sea with the help of their jetpacks, slowing their speed from around 45m/s to around 38m/s.

MF1G7Wy.png

They're alive! For now, I'll just leave them there. They can eat the algae that grows on their faceplates :rolleyes:

The Rescue OAV was directed into a stable, elliptical orbit after undocking for the final time. I'm going to attempt a direct descent of the Rescue OAV into the atmosphere in the hopes of getting to retrieve it. Usually it makes it, but after we lost one Kerbal I'm taking no chances with the rest.

Originally the plan was to bring them to the Mun Colony Ship to stay while the Reentry Module was set up and launched and stuff, but I decided it was pointless, and I should just dock it to the Rescue OAV directly.

The Broken OAV is in really tiny pieces on the Mun. The only evidence this landing ever happened was in the Kerbal-remains-covered flag that still stands at the landing site, which I have named Campestris Helalla (Helalla Highlands) after this mission's pilot.

Edited by Findthepin1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.